Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill
"it must be processed in order for us to digest it"
You truly have no idea of what you're talking about.
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

Maybe you want me to tell you where they work or their home address ? Jeez.

This is a community forum and some of us actually know each other - btw who the f*** are you again? Do you even live on this island?

I wouldn't suggest that you give all that info but that is the crux of my point. To put it in less sarcastic terms, your point was a non point. Your not going to say who they actually are and what they do under the umbrella term of transgenics. So why even mention it in the first place except to discredit one detail of what I said.

I also know a person who works in transgenics as well but they work with animals. Now lets say your friends work with plants, Are they doing it for personal reasons. If so I don't know if that is considered a job per se. If they are doing it to make a living, what do they do when they discover how to make a crop grow at a faster rate or more resistant to some pest of some kind? Do they go ahead and make an honor stand at the side of the road and call it a day or do they sell the modified plant to a corporation that will pay them top dollar? I would guess the later.

I don't see why the second part of your comment has anything to do with the topic of this thread but my name is to the left of my post. I currently live on a planet being exploited by people who claim to have solutions but actually put profit as a priority above nature and humanity. I have family and a home on the island but I am not currently there. You may meet me someday soon. I am a nice guy but if you insist on being snarky and then get angry about getting snark back we may not hit it off. If you want to be friendly, I would really like that. That is my preferred mode of conversing.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

"it must be processed in order for us to digest it"
You truly have no idea of what you're talking about.

This is how your dairy is processed:

pasteurization- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization

homogenization- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogenization_(chemistry)

Also raw milk is about as legal as marijuana:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Stat...ilk_debate

Finding out completing 8th grade science isn't a requirement to be on Punaweb.

Homogenization is mixing the fat with the milk. Nothing about digestion here except for more flavor.

Pasteurization isn't processing for digestion. It is to kill the anthrax bacteria. It is also to kill e coli bacteria and salmonella bacteria. If you notice a cow udder, it is close to where her cow pies splash up from the ground. You don't automatically contract a disease from unpasteurized dairy but your probability of contracting a disease goes way up.

The legality of raw milk has nothing to do with digestion. It is the government trying to prevent the spread of disease through unregulated marketing of raw milk and raw milk products. Talk about going into left field.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Oh okay, see you learn something new everyday boiling the cow crap and anthrax out of food has nothing to do with digesting it. I'm sure the calves are fine with all that mess since they have seven stomachs. Now if we could just figure out a process to stop it from turning our bodies into a cancer factory, and clogging our arteries, and not throwing the acidity levels in the body over the top while it chokes the oxygen out of our system, and so on and so forth. I am surprised not consuming milk is left field for someone from Pahoa. Have you never met a vegan?

The good thing about milk is that at least there are labels so we can avoid it if we choose too. GMO on the other hand is forced upon the public. I just want everyone to be happy. So if you all want to drink milk with or without cow crap, or gmo corn and soy, I want you to be able to do that but I want you to also be able to choose not to eat it. I think a ban is over the top but it is also all a county can do to regulate it. The federal government on the other hand can make some real sturdy regulations so GMO enthusiasts can eat without stepping all over the freedom of everyone else who would like to eat regular food.
Do you even know what the word "digesting" means?
The anti-science people all seem to have one thing in common - lack of education.
Now if we could just figure out a process to stop it from turning our bodies into a cancer factory

Venting angry BS into a forum is a leading cause of cancer. Maybe try chillin?
As much as I think Richard Ha is a good businessman and job creator, I don't think many people have a very well balanced opinion of GMO. It is just human nature to think in dualities and our national politics is a good reflection of that trait. Yes, there are many catatonic eaters out here in Puna, afraid of any possible toxicant (I can give you the low-down on the etymology of this verbiage in another post if you want) they maybe exposed to. I believe many of their fears are legitimate but GE technology doesn't inherently involve greater toxins or toxicants; merely genetic selection at a much more intricate and specialized level, thus the term "engineering". The problem is that Hawaii Island, or any of the Islands in Hawaii, need monocrop agriculture such as the destructive practices of the plantation days, or to be the lab rats for this new technology; there is to much ecological capital here to be researched and learned from until we start our anthropocentric practices (which in all actuality, are not in humanity's best interest). Big Ag is a scam, it has been proven over and over in unbiased studies by people who know how to practice intensive agriculture. Well developed landrace varieties outperform hybrids; organics outperform no-till GMO; replacing organic matter and sourcing on-sight fertilizer is more economical than soilless culture; excessive spraying produces herbicide resistant 'super weeds'.

Instead of suing the county like a bunch of over-litigious assholes or puppets working for big agribusiness, these clowns could be supporting good research or other community projects. Work on some of the suggestions above along with networking and supporting other farmers and small businesses instead of wasting taxpayer money fighting well-thought legislation.

Farmers are suing for two reasons; clarity and equal treatment. Until the county changed the rules of the game, the Feds and the State regulated agriculture. The anti GMO bill changed the rules. We just want clarity. And, we want equal treatment. The anti GMO bill prohibits Big Island farmers from using new biotech solutions, while the competitors of Big Island farmers can use and sell the products here.
Farmers don't usually sue. I don't grow GMO crops myself. But, there is a larger concern. Its food security for future generation. GMO's are just a small part of food security.
My understanding is you must apply, register, and make public notice if you want to grow a GMO with a 'grandfathering' of the GMO papaya and feed corn already being grown here.

How is this an outright ban?

Remember this isn't just Roundup Ready corn we are talking about. This can be pharmaceutical crops and soon we will have GE animals which will bring about many more needed studies and precautions. I think anyone should be able to understand that if you don't have some sort of learning disability.

How is this any different than asking the county for a special permit? Humbug I know, but in no way obstructing you from doing what you need to if a GE organism was beneficial.

Richard, you seem to have ignored the fact that Hawaii is a unique ecological place that deserves protection. Please err on the side of caution not money. There is a Native American proverb about how you can't eat money.