Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Review of Luquins
quote:
Originally posted by Mendo

I'm glad KathyH won't be there when I dine. I can handle the mess, but constant bad vibes make me ill.

Mendo, aren't you the guy talking about civility in the Politics forum? That's not a cool thing to say, just insulting for no reason. Especially when I did not diss Luquin's and others in the topic did.

Are you really from Mendo? Did you ever eat at the Mexican place down in Noyo Harbor? (rather similar food, smaller place).
What the heck does parking have to do with running a dirty restaurant with poor service ?

I didn't wait 20 minutes to park, I wasn't even greeted after 20 mins.
Oneself

Is it beyond belief that the folks at the restaurant read this this site ??

Your picture is all over the internet.
Nachos are not mexican food! Mexican food is does not just come from taco trucks. Also if homeless people are bathing in the bathroom the place is straight up nasty and if the bathroom is nasty you better believe the kitchen is twice as nasty.
What are you folks hoping for? An Olive Garden? A nice California fern bar?

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob are you trolling?
The last time I was in an Olive Garden (Lawton, Oklahoma, April) I liked to have died because they had the air conditioning on frigid. The food was pasta slathered in cheese. The wine was good! I actually have had some good meals and times at Luquin's. And I actually regard the atmosphere there as essentially Puna, and I mean that in a good way or I wouldn't have moved here. If you get the passionfruit margarita first then nothing else really matters. And their giant burritos are perfect if you are trying to feed a hungry guy. I've never had unfriendly service there and on the rare weekends I've popped in, I've even enjoyed some good live music.

It's just that if you have lived in Southern California, your expectations for Mexican food are pretty high. And great Mexican food DOES come from taco trucks! My Spanish-speaking former partner and I would hang out in Baja and have some great meals from those trucks.....carts, really. I lived to tell the tale. I miss them. And, uh, maybe, I, uh miss....oh gawd, don't say it.

Luquin's is an institution in Pahoa and any critique of it on my part is all in good fun. I definitely prefer it to Olive Garden or Dead Lobster.

And Lucy's is noisy and chaotic and you have to buss your own table and I always get the little donkey pinata with its butt staring me in the face and now I'll always think of it as the improbable place of the 2nd to last scene in my Telenovela. I will never go back there again. Lucy, the child after whom the restaurant is named, is adorable though. And the food is very good, but no passionfruit margaritas.

And anytime anyone gets too snarky about Luquin's I have just one word for them: Reuben's. I don't care if those people do read this forum, those people just need to shut that place the hell down until someone there learns to cook without dumping a pound of salt in every recipe.

It's as if someone opened a restaurant on a volcanic island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, LOL.
Yes some great Mexican food comes from taco trucks, some bad Mexican food comes from taco trucks as well, but Mexican food is very diverse and is more than just that. But yes I eat from taco trucks allot myself, you just have to know the good ones.
@Spunky wrote:
"Got take out from Luquins on Saturday night - HUGE MISTAKE.
Placed my order by phone and was told it would be ready in 10-15 minutes. 50 minutes later I was still waiting."

We also got takeout from Luquins on Saturday night but our food was ready on time and the food was fine.

A new server was being trained that night, so there were some issues with some of the orders but she was very apologetic. We've all had the experience of being a newby, I'd imagine.

As far as the food goes, we've eaten great Mexican food when we lived in Southern California and Texas. (Mi Tierra's in San Antonio gets 5 stars, in our opinion.) He likes Luquin's, so I go along. The burritos and the carne asada are good, haven't tried much else.

We've never had problems with service there - the servers are very friendly always.
We've eaten at Luquins several times now, breakfasts and dinners.
The food was pretty good, the service acceptable [give me my food and leave me alone].
Haven't noticed it taking longer to get it than anywhere else.
We're satisfied and will be going back again when it strikes us.
But, I am a Boogie Pizza fan too.
I like pizza and I like theirs.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.