Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa's History and Future
If you think that going all the way around Post Office Rd would be five minutes of your life that you never get back...

The retail customer is an extremely fickle creature. Stores have gone out of business because they moved to a less noticeable location right around the corner. Downtowns become deserted when malls open in the suburbs.

On the other hand, when streets are retrofitted to become outdoor pedestrian malls, most predictions of failure to retain customers are proven wrong.

Perhaps a one way street, with diagonal parking, a small pedestrian corridor, and a parking lot on the "Do Not Enter" side of the shopping district?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
consider the views of those whose families worked the fields, or built those stores, or had any number of important moments occur therein. History is complex with many experiences and readings -

Thanks for that, ironyak.
As I previously indicated, my thinking on this was spurred by a neighbor whose grandfather came to Hawaii from Japan as a wood cutter.
Also, as I said, history is not the same as old buildings.

The "history" of Pahoa is indeed the people -- far, far more than the buildings.

btw: the matter of a sewer is a very real problem, if the existing buildings are to be preserved and if there is going to continue to be a commercial/residential center in what we now know as Pahoa.
Although lacking details or references to cite, I have heard of sewer treatment facilities that create methane gas for burning and nutrient-rich soil amendment. That is a reasonable example of doing something "sustainable", IMO.

One last try, to fulfill my interest in the topic:
James - what are your specific ideas for sustainability in Pahoa's future and how do they relate to the architecture and design of the town?
Nope HOTPE on the lot and -> way,

Cause like you said, "The retail customer is an extremely fickle creature" add visitors as well ... End of the day, they tired and so the thought of simply turning around is gonna wear on the main street bottom line.

"Should we turn around ? "
"nah, let just keep going. "
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

One last try, to fulfill my interest in the topic:
James - what are your specific ideas for sustainability in Pahoa's future and how do they relate to the architecture and design of the town?

For starters, buildings and other 'built environment' that use energy and water in a conservative manner that leaves plenty for the future, and that are, overall less destructive to living systems through extraction, toxicity, and depletion.

It is the outcome that is important, not the input.

quote:
Originally posted by pahoated...

Kea'au kind of stands out because they decided they were too termite infested and maintaining a wild west old town wasn't seen as workable, especially in the location...

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"

I thought it was a fire that burned down the old buildings were Mc Donalds, gas station and 7-11 stand?

quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

[

I thought it was a fire that burned down the old buildings were Mc Donalds, gas station and 7-11 stand?

No, it was an excavator and a dump truck.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Happened before my time but there were people here when it happened. There might have been a fire but that point was brought up, these old west towns are tinderboxes. Also, that is why comparison photos were provided, this was Keaau in 1975:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/9sk1bIBZpnw/hqdefault.jpg

The point is there is very little of old plantation Keaau left and it was a community decision to not preserve anything. It would be ridiculous to have to detail every minute event that happened in these plantation villages over their entire history to argue what caused what. Old Hilotown has a lot of buildings approaching or over 100 years old. The streets were meant for horse carriages and Model-T's at the most. The main point is to just realize the effect of old plantation infrastructure on today.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Pahoated-

Are you going to meet my on Tuesday's feeding at 4:30 p.m. to rationally and logically discuss your issues with PPSK? If you refuse to meet me, knock it off because many old timers in Puna know the good work being done by for those in need by many non profits in Puna and if you show up you can see it for yourself instead of hiding behind your computer screen throwing baseless insults at hard working volunteers.

Sorry for going off topic, Rob.
Originally posted by james weatherford

For starters, buildings and other 'built environment' that use energy and water in a conservative manner that leaves plenty for the future, and that are, overall less destructive to living systems through extraction, toxicity, and depletion.

It is the outcome that is important, not the input.

So, that's a "no" on the specific ideas then?

If the concern is minizing extraction and energy use, then the optimal path is to do nothing. Given the lack of solutions considered, it also appears to be the most likely path.

To prompt some thoughts, here is one, of several possibilities, that fits the goals: All timber is to be harvested locally and transported, processed, and assembled using only human power. Two trees are planted for each one felled. High embodied energy inputs like cement and metal are eschewed for stone (rubble trench foundations? stem walls with local mortar?) and wood (mortise and tenon or dowel joinery? Bamboo framework?)

Natural lighting and climate control are achieved through site selection, building alignment, and ample openings. Design emphasizes natural materials and height & size are restricted. Any non-local materials (glass, wiring, etc) are reuse sources only. Solar (or locally produced fuels - biodiesel, bio-gas, etc) for electrical and hot water.

Japan has temples that are periodically reconstructed using only the traditional design and human-scale tools and methods so these are constantly both new and ancient (wabi-sabi) I will see if I can locate as good an example on the web as I have in some of my books.

ETA: https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/m/mansfield-ax.html
A good, if lengthy, read on the role and value of restoration including examples like Japan's Ise Shrine, established almost 1400 years ago but reconstructed every 20 years using only like materials and traditional methods.