Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential restrictions to Mauna Kea access
Well, I'm sorry if I upset you, Opihikao, it certainly wasn't intentional. However, I am unaware of any promises I or who I have worked for have broken any promises.

Sincerely,
Tom
How all of you are able to think at all in the heat and humidity I don't know. During our recent spell of both here I was sick. You must all be on your last nerve. Bad time for heated, pardon the pun, discussion. Time for lots of deep breaths and cold drinks. Swim in the ocean. Hugs from me.

Hope Pele continues to spare Pahoa. She will go where she will but I pray she will hurt no one.

Thinking about lava in the heat makes me hotter! [Sad!] Bad idea [8D]

Tomorrow I am going to go shopping. I need many things and the stores have A/C. Would consider movies if I had time. Why don't I have any friends with a pool? I need more friends. Although water for pools here may come to an end soon. Someone told me today they have already cut showering down to once a week. For me once a day is the bare (pun maybe) minimum, I have skin allergies. Rough times ahead.

I'm picturing a nice cold winter day...with precipitation...somewhere else [Smile]

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Well, I'm sorry if I upset you, Opihikao, it certainly wasn't intentional. However, I am unaware of any promises I or who I have worked for have broken any promises.

Sincerely,
Tom

Not you, Mr. Tom. You're a gentleman with honor. On my way to pule with ohana on Mauna a Wakea, for all of us in this sad state of affairs.
Tom, thank you for your explanations which helped me understand things a little better.

According to your assessment then there is no other suitable location for the TMT on the mountain, so either it will either be built at the proposed location or it won't be built at all on Mauna Kea.

I feel saddened about this whole affair. I can understand the desire for science as well as the desire for conservation of conservation land.
Lokahi
lo-ka-hi... The location for the TMT is not only far removed from the summit, but also was extensively researched and found to have no issues with cultural activities (grave sites, temples, etc.) The area is simply dry, arid land devoid of vegetation and full of rocks.
http://www.docdroid.net/tOp8EDW/bigislan...g.pdf.html

Anyone ever read these logs? What a disgrace. Is it any wonder that more than ever these restrictions needed to happen...
I keep repeating myself, but I'll say it again. Many, if not most, of the things on the Ranger log are contrary to state law or existing regulations. Enforcement is the issue, not more rules. The Governor, the DNLR, the Hawaii County Police, and prosecuting attorney Mitch Roth all appear to have been unwilling to exercise the appropriate measures that would have put a stop to the whole mess long ago.
Whew...Just read thru the file log.
There's no real leadership up there.
It's nothing more than a hodge podge of unruly rebels without a clue.
Getting Drunk and stoned and screaming is not pono.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
"Taking all that in consideration, is it any wonder the Hawaiian people are dissatisfied with the State's handling of their affairs?"

The wonder is why they are trying to block the TMT when what they really need to be demanding is that OHA and DHHL be drastically overhauled or even abolished and replaced. The TMT is inconsequential compared to the abysmal failure to deliver by those agencies.
opihikao:

"All who are not personally connected with this, I would ask your patience, as the confrontation will occur sooner than later with this ruling, if the rules are enforced. Unless those who have common decency, and reasonable thinking step forward (again, on both sides), this is going to do irreparable damage to our communities, and our State."

The rules haven't been enforced long before the "ruling". It's like a toddler screaming for metaphorical mumbo jumbo candy at KTA and the parent caving in a few times. (Will there be a confrontation? Hmmm...Must be KTA's or the parent's fault, no?)

This isn't snark, opihikao, it is reality. I still wonder what would happen if pro-TMT "protectors" set up a road block a couple miles up from the Saddle Rad turn off and refused to let the antis up. Would there be a cop's episode tear shed for them? Would that make me "personally connected to this" if I organized or participated in it?

The only "common decency" is for the antis to back out and admit that they screwed up. Unless they do, THEY _alone_ are responsible for any "irreparable damage to our communities" and no amount of dissing ranger reports is going to make any difference. They need to regroup and figure out their activism strategy against OHA, etc. They can totally save face in doing so, and their beloved tweets will still come their way. In the meantime, they could feel all big and important and spiritual and hip-as-hell since they stalled the TMT for however long. Back out out now and everyone (except the crazies) wins.

Or they can just keep up the insane martyr mentality and see how that works...

Cheers,
Kirt
edit: win to wins