Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Activist sues, says medical marijuana violates law
Right now, marijuana policy is driven by a 2012 Presidential memo which in effect says, hands off (mostly). Even if reclassified from Schedule I to Schedule II very little will change in the near term:

III. Marijuana operations stay open because of presidential prerogative, and that isn't changing soon.

... The Obama administration was bold in issuing memos that ultimately demanded federal officials ignore the CSA with regard to cannabis, particularly given its Schedule I status. If cannabis is moved to Schedule II (or some other schedule), the administration's memos will apply to a drug considered less dangerous than it was previously (see previous section). ...

Since 2012 when the last of the memos was issued, Obama's rhetoric on marijuana has grown only more reform oriented. Reversing the memos would be at odds with a very public metamorphosis at the presidential level. In addition, shuttering thousands of marijuana enterprises would put tens of thousands of people out of work, would reduce tax revenues to states, and would harm small business activity in a large swath of the United States. As a presidential election nears, the last thing any president wants to do is damage the economy. ...

Furthermore, it’s unlikely that the next president would bring a change of course. Both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump have suggested that they are comfortable with the current hands-off/states' rights approach to marijuana policy that the Obama administration has constructed.

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/fixgov/po...ak-wallack

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
because of Federal preemption this will have the effect of making THC products legal with a prescription

Meaning: it would be legal for a doctor to write a prescription which could be filled at a pharmacy. Note also the term "THC products" -- refined products, not the leafy green stuff.

The dispensary system may not be perfect, but full Federal regulation would probably be worse.
Anyone have any new news to share regarding this thread or the mmj activist Mr Ruggles ongoing suits?

I found this somewhat recent article that tries to explain MR Ruggles case and the complexities surrounding these MMJ issues in Hawaii.
http://www.hawaiihigh.biz/new-blog/2016/...hnqgyytzma

It does seem like the police and DLNR were targeting or harassing Mr Ruggles for the most part of a decade. Was it because he was a Hawaii MMJ card holder or something else? DO the Police and DLNR do these types of so called "compliance checks" to all the MMJ card Holders?

It MUST be very difficult for our island Judges to decide these types of different cases within our community, for example.
WHO is the bigger animal preying on the community. This DLNR Former Police Officer, or Our Local MMJ activist?

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...not-guilty

How or Why does an mmj activist like Mr Ruggles receive such a high bail amount, multiple charges, and three life terms to defend in court? While a local DLNR officer faces one possible 20 year sentence, after a small bail amount for possibly harming our Keiki in the community? They both had guns that were legal right?

Our D.A Mr Roth got this one right "MaHaLo" for the time and effort. Having a daughter myself I can say I feel safer and better knowing this guy is not still stalking young girls in a BLNR-DLNR uniform.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2017/0...x-assault/

Sounds like a dubious cover up effort by the DLNR Officer was also in the works, thankfully our D.A and his team saw through this effort. Would this mean that every police car has this GPS tracking system? Is this GPS system also in all police used helicopters?

Edited to add new info, link and questions.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Anyone have any new news to share regarding this thread or the mmj activist Mr Ruggles ongoing suits?

I found this somewhat recent article that tries to explain MR Ruggles case and the complexities surrounding these MMJ issues in Hawaii.
http://www.hawaiihigh.biz/new-blog/2016/...hnqgyytzma

It does seem like the police and DLNR were targeting or harassing Mr Ruggles for the most part of a decade. Was it because he was a Hawaii MMJ card holder or something else? DO the Police and DLNR do these types of so called "compliance checks" to all the MMJ card Holders?

It MUST be very difficult for our island Judges to decide these types of different cases within our community, for example.
WHO is the bigger animal preying on the community. This DLNR Former Police Officer, or Our Local MMJ activist?

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...not-guilty

How or Why does an mmj activist like Mr Ruggles receive such a high bail amount, multiple charges, and three life terms to defend in court? While a local DLNR officer faces one possible 20 year sentence, after a small bail amount for possibly harming our Keiki in the community? They both had guns that were legal right?

(BBM) Aloha ahiahi, Gypsy. (Addressing the bold) See, there are "pearls" in your post, again. This whole damn system continues to disappoint us tax paying citizens. That DLNR officer should never have been hired, due to his record as a cop in HNL. So damn upsetting. [Sad!]

As to the topic, Mr. Ruggles may not really have the best legal argument in this case. Sure hope he has an astute attorney assisting him.

JMO.

P.S. Do we dare add the man who died in police custody (as did his brother) to this discussion? WTH is going on here?!?!?! (Sorry, OT/SMH)
'The state cannot license people to break federal law'...

such a hilariously obvious point - the state has issued licenses to sell a DEA schedule 1 drug - the state is going to get decimated on this dispensary issue in court - it is absolutely black/white issue legally unfortunately, the same result they experienced with Hawaii Health Connector, the DOT I.T upgrade, the HART mess, TMT, etc....

they cannot do anything, DOT, HHS, DLNR

Our local county morons spectacularly failing trying to accomplish rather basic things is often funny, the state doing it is somewhat less funny.

'Mr. Ruggles may not really have the best legal argument in this case. '

-

?

Premise: Marijuana is a DEA schedule 1 drug

Premise: The State of HI sold licenses to sell marijuana

Conclusion: Ruggles wins in court
Premise: The State of HI sold licenses to sell marijuana

Wasn't this the same State that argued (in court, setting precedent) that "Federal law cannot be pre-empted" when Hawaii County passed the "Lowest Law Enforcement Priority" statute?

Kalakoa if I remember right it was the County of Hawaii who went to court and said they could not enforce lowest priority because it pre-empted state law.

jrw
jrw
it was the County of Hawaii who went to court and said they could not enforce

County was sued for "failure to abide by the law", State said "your law is invalid on its face".

State law is completely different: it includes hefty license fees, payable to State...
"they cannot do anything, DOT, HHS, DLNR
Our local county morons spectacularly failing trying to accomplish rather basic things is often funny, the state doing it is somewhat less funny."

Maybe it's just the pretense of doing something.......a lot of taxpayer money gets spent.....maybe that really is the only goal. Inter Island ferry, rail system on Oahu, Hawaii Health Connector, etc.