Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PMAR
Just saying the co ops could work better if more were inclined to do so, instead of slogging to Wallymart or Costmo and complaining "why isn't their one down the street". I like it with all the "big city" stuff at least a half hour away, and "movie night" is at a friends house who got the latest DVD and all gather for "pot luck" grinds and a movie.

Community begins with Aloha
Potluck ... "Went to a garden party" ... no, seriously no-one here knows how to cook but the Chinese.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***

Maybe you just have the wrong friends?

Yeh, maybe. Someday that take-out bill is going to become due...
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
quote:
Originally posted by Tink

Just saying the co ops could work better if more were inclined to do so, instead of slogging to Wallymart or Costmo and complaining "why isn't their one down the street". I like it with all the "big city" stuff at least a half hour away, and "movie night" is at a friends house who got the latest DVD and all gather for "pot luck" grinds and a movie.

Assuming that the wide spectrum of Puna folks all think the same, have the same economic status as you, live the same as you, and believe the same as you, perhaps your version could work. For all good and bad (mainly bad) Puna's population will continue to grow. And please, don't just utilized your version of Puna when thinking of possible solutions. Puna has many different versions for many different people. Because of the lack of services, amenities, roads, schools, hospitals, police, fire -- land and rents are relatively cheap. Relatively cheap land is where the poor and working poor congregate. I get so tired of the "no stripmalls" Puna folks offering so many reasons why NOT to provide more economic outlets, but offer no REAL, TANGIBLE solutions to answer to poverty, crime, and other ills that come with the current version of Puna. Yes! There are a lot of good too. I love Puna. But some of my fellow Puna humans need understand that the world is much larger than individuals. We are also homebase for the state's CAVE: Citizens Against Virtually Everything. NOTE OF CLARIFICATION: This post does NOT advocate for an unbridled build out of Puna. We just need more things. Plain and simple. And no, I'm not moving. I'm from here. A few more shopping options, schools and health care facilities represent a good start. (oh, and those theaters too [Big Grin][Big Grin]) As life improves, so will roads.
It is a shame that Billy Kenoi has completely ignored the economic development of the island. I am guessing that his bank balance is fine. Sure looking forward to that fool being gone or in jail.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Really getting tired of hearing tourists from the mainland trying to be kamaaina and constantly whine about one road access. It is the same on all the islands. It isn't unique to this island. None of the islands have multiple alternate routes. This isn't freaking California, or North Dakota or Texas or Colorado, with a grid network of highways. Try staying in Honolulu for awhile and find an alternate to H1 inbound during the morning or outbound in the evening. Business and most tourist time is during the day. Even in Honolulu, H1 is pretty open at night. It is the same situation on all the islands, affordable housing a commute to business and employment hubs. A PMAR from Kapoho to Richards is obvious as another route but we know that is never going to happen.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Some times, just some times, I really gotta agree with pahoated.
so tired of the "no stripmalls" Puna folks offering so many reasons why NOT to provide more economic outlets, but offer no REAL, TANGIBLE solutions to answer to poverty, crime, and other ills

Any "real, tangible" solution would also have to be "underground" because any non-Ag use of Ag-zoned land requires a Special Use Permit.

constantly whine about one road access. It is the same on all the islands

Then there must be an OahuWeb where people have the same litany of complaints -- except that they can actually afford solutions, because they have money.

Try staying in Honolulu for awhile and find an alternate to H1

This can be done -- my cab driver knew exactly how to navigate the maze of surface streets to avoid H1.

Bottom line: for whatever reason(s), County and State are NOT coming to rescue Puna from the mess that they created, so now we as a community need to either create APMAR (Alternative to PMAR) or file another Federal lawsuit against County and State.

I, for one, would like to see County explain how property valuation and permitting requirements are supposed to work when there's no utility services, public road access, or emergency services with a meaningful response time. Seriously, I've been wondering about this for quite some time -- the presumption of "property value" implies useful services.
2-Liveque and others, don't get me wrong that I am against commercial development in Puna. What I believe is smart development for Puna, which seems it that it cannot be achieved with Shipman and his court, unless it benefits financially for them and no one else.
If we cannot have an alternate route thru Shipman lands because of "theft", why not go back to a rail line that goes along the old bed way, with a mini center at key points (between subdivisions?) to support parking and shopping alternatives, medical, etc.. Transit terminal in Hilo close to airport, bus lines that work to get everybody where they need to go.
Downside is, nobody wants that in their backyard, and worries of "import" crime, or those that ride the transit to infiltrate a neighborhood. Another is the fiasco in Honolulu.
Sure, this is a total utopian way to go about it, but one has to look in the future to meet the needs of today, at times.