Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mainland Exodus
quote:
Originally posted by jdirgo
...OK, so 1% leaves in a year. I'm guessing that's 1% of the ADULTS. How many kids were born? ............. Those of you that know me well are kindly asked to keep your mouths shut now....

I don't know you well so I'll keep my mouth [Big Grin]

The Census Bureau data show Hawaii trailing all other Western states in population growth.

From the article I found the info from.

-------------
Today in History:
Lava erupts from Kilauea and forces the evacuation of 500 people from Kapoho Village, Hawai'i, 1955
Interesting. If you look here though, http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/15000.html
you see that between 2000 and 2006, the population GREW by over 6% or about 74,000 people.

Moot point, but the vagueness of the statistic is still real.

So, we added 74,000 people in the six years up to 2006 and then in the year ending July 1, 2007 (the most recent July 1st the article could be referencing) it dropped down to an increase of 64,000. Calculating it out, that means that in the 7 years prior, population still increased by about 5.3%.

John Dirgo, R, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
quote:
Originally posted by jdirgo

Interesting. If you look here though, http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/15000.html
you see that between 2000 and 2006, the population GREW by over 6% or about 74,000 people....

And I think this is exactly what I'm getting to.

From 2000 - 2006 the population grew at the rate mentioned above.

However, THE YEAR ENDING JULY 2007 we had a 10,000 people drop in population.

Which lead to my question on the EXODUS.

Had it just been a slow decline... I probably wouldn't have noticed and/or cared... but it was so sudden in 2007.

-------------
Today in History:
Lava erupts from Kilauea and forces the evacuation of 500 people from Kapoho Village, Hawai'i, 1955
well here is some personal experience with Hilo Hospital ER, names removed

1) baby with shunt malfunction waits for 4 hours to be evaluated and is finally medivacced to Kapiolani.

2) baby who's been in car accident where car flipped end over end waits for 3-4 hours, lip cut is cleaned inadequately and scar forms, no tests performed.

3) Arrive having allergic reaction to centipede bite and it is two full hours before ANY meds or treatment are administered and over 30 minutes before nurse triages ... with waiting room gate guard stating if you can still talk it's not that bad, if your throat does close up we'll look at you sooner.

4) seated between a guard and prisoner during two hour wait.

5) Patients in obvious severe pain sit on a bad chair for two hours doubled over because no bed.

Out of 4-5 experiences, no stay of less than 4 hours, most of which was spent waiting for someone to be available to do a test, check out, do simple stuff.

Psycho patients mixed in with others, one started to "escape" and was screaming that he was being choked while restrained, during which time other patients ignored for 30 minutes while crisis attended to.

Told rudely "no such disease exists" by male nurse taking health history when condition has been listed with CDC for over two decades.

"The waiting is the hardest part" ... folks are nice enough but they are overwhelmed.

There is simply no comparison to North Hawaii Community, which puts off a very healing vibe and no psychos or violent patients ... girl who grew up in Hilo and works there says no way she would go to Hilo Hospital ever again, they lack compassion.

I could say more ... they need help, much more help, to be holding the lives of half the island in their hands, and god forbid you have a problem on Friday or Saturday night or a holiday.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first article only said that 10,000 residents left Hawaii. There's nothing that said the population decreased by 10,000 only that 10,000 resident during 2007 left the islands. We need the figures of total population at end of 2007 for those numbers to really mean anything. For all we know, 10,000 departed while 25,000 became residents. That would indicate an exodus from the mainland to Hawaii if we talking just numbers with no value to those numbers.

Facts are Facts, Hawaii is in the middle of the ocean and that alone has a limiting effect on business opportunities, added logistical costs, and a physical impediment that prevents interstate commerce. Think about this, how many people live in New Jersey and Connecticut but commutes for work, drive in for shopping, entertainment, schooling and all the other thing offered in New York State? They still live in their state but travel freely to other states the same as driving from Puna to Kona. But how in heavens name can that daily travel happen when your thousands of miles from the next state? You either don’t do it or pick up and move. No different from living in Delaware but wanting to work in Oregon.
i was talking to some young adults (teenagers) who were leaving to join the army in a coulpe of months. the way they see it is they were born here and lived here all their lives.

now they have a chance to "see the world", get some traing in a field and get a great deal on their college education before returning to spend the reat of their lives on the island.

Lord willing we get out of this conflict and they dont die from some car bomb before.
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first article only said that 10,000 residents left Hawaii. There's nothing that said the population decreased by 10,000 only that 10,000 resident during 2007 left the islands. We need the figures of total population at end of 2007 for those numbers to really mean anything. For all we know, 10,000 departed while 25,000 became residents. That would indicate an exodus from the mainland to Hawaii if we talking just numbers with no value to those numbers.

Hawaii remains a state where whites are in the minority. But the percentage of the state's population that is white is increasing, while the Asian, native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander, and mixed-race population makes up a smaller percentage, according to new U.S. Census Bureau estimates..........

According to the census, the number of native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders, alone or in combination, decreased by 8,664 residents.......

The report also showed the number of whites in Hawaii increased by 58,942 in the last six years, while the Asian population grew by 9,455 residents.....

Some interesting stuff here

-------------
Today in History:
A man sets fire to his sport utility vehicle after driving it into the ticket lobby of Kahului Airport, Maui, Hawai'i, 2004
So you're saying my theory is correct, there's no mass exodus from Hawaii, but a mass exodus to Hawaii from the mainland.
I'm saying there is a mass exodus of those that were BORN and RAISED here.

In other words.... getting pushed out of the land that there families have lived on for generations upon generations[V]

Kind of like when Native Americans were pushed off of there lands.

-------------
Today in History:
A man sets fire to his sport utility vehicle after driving it into the ticket lobby of Kahului Airport, Maui, Hawai'i, 2004
It is not the same as when the American Indians were rounded up and put in reservations, nobody is making the locals move, they just want to have a better job, to buy more cosumer goods.
Always do what evers next.