Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwest Airlines - announcement coming..
Lets break down these Paragraphs Of Lies:

"This system has the benefit of having guests pay for what they consume, rather than spreading the cost of baggage handling to those who do not check bags."

People don't check bags because they want to avoid the fee, and it pushes the responsibility of handling the baggage onto the consumer, and it frees up more space in the belly for the airline for air cargo. These are all motivated by profit, not to save the customer money.

"Reservation and cancellation fees apply to non-refundable tickets purchased at reduced rates. When such a ticket is purchased, we take that seat out of inventory. When it is released back into the inventory — often at the very last minute — we have lost our ability to sell it, and our fees offset some of the lost revenue."

When the seat is released back into inventory, it is sold at a higher price than when it was originally sold. The added profit is built-in. And to guarantee that profit, they oversell their seats. On most routes the empty seats are a result of not selling them in the first place, or somebody missing a connection due to a delay on another flight, not because a customer changed their mind.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

State will simply not allow SWA to displace HA.

I don't want Hawaiian to be displaced, I want them to be reminded what real competition is. Things were far better when we had two airlines. Monopolies are always bad no matter who has them.
I don't want Hawaiian to be displaced, I want them to be reminded what real competition is

Pretty sure it doesn't work out that way; Hawaiian has a State-sanctioned monopoly, any "competition" will be nibbling around the edges where Hawaiian doesn't fly.

Look for "competition" on routes like LIH-SAN. There's always connections, right?
Not completely true, some people (like me) don't check bags even when it is free, for various reasons (time wasted, don't trust them etc).
Southwest made their official announcement this afternoon. No dates or exact routes pending ETOPS certification, although they plan to begin selling tickets sometime next year and mentioned their heavy presence in California being a natural jumping off point. The most interesting bit, however, was this:

"Southwest executives also acknowledged that they are evaluating offering interisland travel — a move that would cut into Hawaiian Airlines’ stranglehold in the islands and potentially hurt smaller local carriers Island Air, Mokulele Airlines and Makani Kai Air. In addition, Southwest said it is considering nonstop flights to neighbor islands."

Here is a link to the Star-Advertiser article, but it could go behind their pay wall at any time:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/10/11...n-the-way/
I just saw that this morning and posted it on City Data. It will be interesting to see, long term, if they can keep the tickets prices down. As mentioned in the article they will be flying smaller planes (less seats) than the competitors. We're planning on coming out for a month in summer 2018, but I doubt they'll have everything in place by then.

In case the link above gets put behind a pay wall this one should work. It doesn't have the local quotes though.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/southwest-a...vice-2018/
if they can keep the tickets prices down

I would gladly pay the same price -- or even a couple of dollars more -- if SWA offers direct flights from "neighbor" islands.

The west coast is 5h gate-to-gate ... but it takes 9h or more to change planes at HNL or OGG. Competition doesn't have to be on prices or schedules. Restart the ITO-OAK and I would go at least a couple of times a year instead of every couple of years.

Fill that "free" checked bag with Harbor Freight and Trader Joe's... hell yeah.
Not sure why everyone is looking forward to a 5+ hour flight on a 175 pax single aisle airplane.The United non stop to Hilo is bad enough and it at least offers 1st class and economy comfort.

I wonder if Southwest will have the backwards facing seats on these jets? Those were cool travelling with a group.
those united first class seats arent worth the money ..at least continental served ice cream in first ..the bulk head seat seats are way better value imho

remember a few years ago when a one way could be had for a hundred dollars ....keeping my fingers crossed