Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Walkouts
all these protests put the kids in more danger from some freak

I swear this stuff just writes itself.

Dylann Roof’s Sister Arrested After Bringing Weapons to School Walkout

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/us/mo...-roof.html

A sister of Dylann Roof, the man who massacred nine black churchgoers in South Carolina in 2015, was arrested on Wednesday for bringing a knife, pepper spray and marijuana to her high school, the authorities said.

Ms. Roof's Snapchat post criticized students who planned to walk out of class to protest gun violence. "I hope it's a trap and y'all get shot," it said. "We know it's fixing to be nothing but black people walkin out anyway."

quote:
Originally posted by glinda

quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

Considering that A) School Shootings are NOT NEW...
No they are not. But our bitch isn't just school.. it's GUNS.

What about b) Deaths attributed to school shootings since we started counting (some 200 years ago), do not even total 500?
http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu...in-Hawaii/

These are the things that are killing us. I'll save you a click - Guns didn't make the list.
Replying to RWR's original post: "with zero pre-announcement to parents..."
Not sure what school your kid goes to but all the ones I know about and all the kids in my circle had letters sent home to parents announcing it. Maybe your child's dog (ate his/her homework)?

The walkout is a good thing. Kids cannot vote, lots want to be heard. Who cares if the kids organized it or the staff? It's a positive thing either way. Brings awareness to the situation. More needs to be done.

The posting about protests not working is complete opinionated BS.

Schools should have 2 or more policemen or armed national guard patrolling during school hours in all public schools from now on. Who's going to pay for it? The state and lawmakers can make it happen. Probably better than arming teachers.
The demonstration at HAAS was completely student conceived, organized and carried out. The school staff was there to assure student safety. Most, but not all, of the high school students took part and several gave statements to the crowd.. There was no pressure on anyone wishing to remain behind and a safe place was provided for them. Civics classes engaged in vigorous discussion on the subjects of 1st and 2nd amendments, gun violence and bullying......Students realize that young people were at the spearhead of social changes such as civil rights and the Vietnam war and that they indeed are empowered to bring about the change they want. Many of the students are approaching voting age and this exercise has had the positive effect of getting them ready to register. These kids are intelligent, motivated, organized, and represent the future; The nerve of that school using our tax dollars for such dangerous endeavors.
The demonstration at HAAS ...

State schools had a "designated protest area" set aside, and requested that the kids schedule their walkout during a recess so that it wouldn't be an inconvenience.

One school made the national news by "coincidentally" holding a fire drill (and inviting the news media to watch) as a way to dilute the possible impact of a walkout.

What lesson did they just teach?
HAAS students held their demonstration at 10:00 to coincide with the National demonstrations. A safe area was provided. The lesson was in applied civics. Is it of value? Well....at least as much as the school's surfing elective.
HA HA ,,, sounds like HAAS is the place to be.
For the rest, instead of teaching hooliganism and truancy as a way to address a problem:
More better the kids are asked to write a letter and share their thoughts and ideas on the topic AS THEY understand it right now.
Talk story a little bit on class with MINIMAL teacher interference.

Teacher then tells the students to please ask they parents to hold onto this letter. And then let them read it later in the future. THAT is a lesson.

But then, that would not be so great for the media spin jockeys as blind herd walkouts.

Well, ultimately it won't be you or I that solve this riddle. It will be these kids.
I hope we don't lose any more of them to this casual violence.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

Finally, and most personally - The reason why I hate with a passion all you gun control nuts is because nobody on your side gives a crap why these kids are pulling the trigger, you just want to take the tool away without putting out a major outcry for increased mental health resources in our school.
Don't give us this shibai. The people who are pushing for anyone to be able to get any kind of gun anywhere are the same ones pushing to cut school funding (see: Kansas, Oklahoma) and eliminate mental health services everywhere. Two days before the Parkland shooting, the Dotard put out a budget to cut school mental health service grants by 30% and gut Medicaid, which pays for a big portion of mental health. Most of those in favor of stronger gun control have been pushing for more mental health resources for a long time.