Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The CoH has to rethink zoning and building codes
I see proper sewage disposal as the major problem to address. I envision a design for an extremely simple house that was basically a concrete block cube that had all the cooking and bathroom infrastructure required by code, with the absolute minimum of living space inside, but with a massive wrap-around covered lanai. The county could approve that with a nudge and a wink knowing that people would be living on the lanai in a glorified tent type situation, but sanitation would be covered as long as an adequate leach field could be installed. The whole lanai could blow away but the core would still be there as a sort of storm shelter. As far as lava goes it would be a total loss since I am thinking that first the lava could damage even concrete and second the lava flows are usually much deeper than a single story of a house, right? Anyway the core principle is that there is a certain amount of sunk cost that is unavoidable to address the sanitation. Even if you went with a travel trailer or tiny house you would need a leach field. Previous comments about the pitfalls of allowing substandard housing resulting in waves of homeless in the aftermath of storms ring true. Having the glorified bomb shelter with a toilet would allow anyone willing to live in a tent to keep on trucking with a toilet and shelter from flying objects. The initial cost for that is unavoidable though and I don't think that we are doing anybody any favors by dancing around that.
Nothing stands up to a lava flow. One of my Kapoho clients had a reinforced concrete building with a 6-hour fire rating at 2000 degrees. For all I know it is now sitting, relatively intact, under 20' of lava.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
There is zero chance of the county changing the building code if they can just make "Exceptions" for whatever they want to do.
Do as I say,not as I do
No matter how twisted the gov Puna people can be awesome
Great Job to all the people working on the tiny houses!
This property owner didn't wait for the County to change the building code. It's a tiny house in Kalapana which can be moved onto a trailer should a lava flow threaten the area. Additionally, its design shields the homeowner against a tsunami or tidal surges, with safeguards such as a low profile and rounded curves to minimize damage in the high winds of a hurricane.

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/reo/...65627.html

On Tuesday night, 9/18/2018 Hawaii Senator Mazie Hirono had another message for the Republican senators on the Judiciary Committee “Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing.” She added in another related comment, “Bull$hit.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Think that’s closer to an abandoned vehicle than to a tiny home