Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning the Future - Coal
quote:
Originally posted by Hotzcatz... You'd probably also want to get a small generator, a 1.5KW or 2KW to charge the batteries with during extended cloudy times...

I might suggest one of the Kubota marine diesel generators that are 100% duty rated for 20 yrs. They are about $6500 but will use 45 mins of diesel compared to 5-6 hours a week of gas on the smaller systems. The solar guy we used on this project wired it up so it kicked on automaticly when the batteries got low (on a rainy day).

Eight years it has run now with only regular oil changes. Oh wait Normand ran it out of diesel for the first time ever and had to call us two weeks ago as to how to prime it but got the directions out and did it in about 5 mins. Thats all it has taken!

Catherine Dumond
Blue Water Project Management
808 965-9261
"We help make building your dream home a reality"
Hotzcatz, We are for sure looking into solar and I'm suprised your system was just $10K - I was thinking more like $40K for a system to get us off-grid. Also need to find out about any tax incentives if they still exist.

Kapohocat, At least we have the land to have a generator, but not too sure how popular that would be in places like HPP or Leilani! I'm assuming these would be in an enclosure for noise control?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
KC, obviously the generator is above and beyond the system cost! I'm looking at small steam engines, designed to run stationary generators! or find a pre made wood gas rig! Either should be about the same cost!
Gordon J Tilley