Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Hurricane Forecast & Season
MyManao - I'd take that map with a pinch of salt.

FWIW, yesterday I crossed checked some of the HECO outage map info with other more direct sources, and it was broadly correct. So in terms of a more nuanced and seasoned understanding, I would say the map is/has been generally accurate as to where the outages occurred, but can see it lagging on status updates as you mentioned. As always, the map is not the territory (especially our mental map of the world getting out of whack while our direct experience of reality withers in that whole Baudrillard-esque, unplug & follow-the-white-rabbit, sense of things).

Word around the coconut wireless from crews is that Nanawale is a major mess requiring extra time and parts. Hopefully they can get things sorted before the next round of rain arrives later this week from the remnants of Hurricane Gilma.

Real bumper crop of storms this year! Thankfully NOAA is working hard to keep everyone informed. Would really suck if something were to end this federal government service so essential to Hawaii...
The HECO Outage Map is mostly a computerized graphical summation of all customer reported outages with very little information being provided by HECO outside of a major known outage and/or rolling blackout outages.
Nanawale is a major mess...-
------
It was during Iselle in 2018, as well.