Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crime in Seaview
It's just something I learned when I moved here. Most of my friends on the island live in North Kohala.

In 2001 when Harry Kim declared war on ice he went to Hawi to meet with the community.

North Kohala is a great example of a community that fights its ills cohesively, from coqui frogs to ice.:

Some links
http://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org...php?id=366
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:Ax45nD_N_loJ:www.aaa-hawaii.com/WESTWAYS/0506/+North+kohala+methamphetamine&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us&client=safari

One of the big drug busts up there, a million in pot and meth.
If you think North Kohala is all genteel, check out these mug shots:

http://www.hawaiipolice.com/archives/Arc...-26-06.htm

What's that "belly acres" place about in Sea View? I saw the sign and it made me chuckle.
My former gardener belonged to the Belly Acres group. As best I can understand, it is a kind of a circus cooperative (and what coop isn't a circus?). He was an acrobat. They perform together. I regret that I never got a chance to see him perform before he returned to the mainland. It is the sort of organization (or disorganization) that reminds me of why I love the Big Island -- a quirky bunch bound together by acrobatics. Perhaps our Seaview neighbors can tell us more.
robguz
the house is 12-157 mapuana. its alittle over priced im thinking so we will check it out around the 15 of Feb to see if we can work out a deal. i was wondering what you had in your new home in lumber etc....
i have a friend who built his home for under 90,000. doing most if not all of the labor. i was thinking i could do the same and save some $ as well as have a new home.
Just in......
looks like someone has made a offer so.....the search goes[8D] on!
peace
rusty, yep that house is in escrow. Hopefully they got it for under $100k. It's right next to mine. What do you mean what I had in my new home in lumber? Cost wise, material wise? I got mine built for $150k, including insurance, appliances, and hired out most things but did a lot myself (painting, sanding, what little I could to help with framing, roofing, etc). Probably could have done it for $15k less if I didn't get expensive appliances and flooring and didn't get insurance (most don't). I think you can get a lot of house for $90,000 (not including the lot) if you do most things yourself. There is a very nice ocean view lot on Mapuana closer to the ocean for $35k I think, which is a bargain even compared to a year ago.
What's happening with the people in Seaview with the VOG could be considered a Crime according to Councilwoman Naeole:

"Everyone I know in Seaview is suffering ill effects of one degree or another. We have had two deaths and much illness in this small neighborhood in the first two months of this year."

Now that is something to seriously think about before moving to Seaview.

Damon Tucker's Weblog
I read what Naole said (on your link) and it sounds very hyperbolic to me. Maybe that's what she needs to say to get a response, I dunno. Nothing is said to explain why these deaths would be attributed to vog. It's possible that vog aggravated an existing condition, I don't know the circumstances because her claim is completely vague.

While I believe that vog causes symptoms and problems, and have felt it myself and know from friends, my asthma doctor says there is still no hard evidence of the connection between vog and asthma. So I kind of doubt that any medical professional put down VOG-related complications as cause of death.

She makes it sound like a cyanide cloud is hovering over Seaview and Kehena. She says that HVO put out a new warning on H2S. Damon, if you have the link to that, I'd like to see it. I couldn't find it on the HVO site. Thanks in advance.
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

... Damon, if you have the link to that, I'd like to see it. I couldn't find it on the HVO site. Thanks in advance.

Don't shoot the messenger... I just cut and pasted her PR... that NO newspaper has printed.

Damon Tucker's Weblog
When did our Councilwoman become an expert on the health effects of vog? She doesn't cite any epidemiological evidence or scientific studies showing Puna to be "the next Katrina" as she puts it. If there hasn't been such a deadly outcome in Kona after all these years of vog, Puna's intermittent vog doesn't seem worthy of the drama.

Cheers,
Jerry
Hi Damon, no messenger shooting contemplated. [Smile]

I simply read what she said, which cited something HVO had supposedly published, and wanted to see the source. I know you're good at finding things.