Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition
This is like Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory

No; Sheldon would have the TMT built by now.
Ahh the discourse of the English language. "Queens", or proper English versus the American "hack" version goes on and on with gentle badgering...

Community begins with Aloha
Update FYI:

The office of Governor David Ige has announced a news conference set to be held in the Executive Office Chambers today – Tuesday, May 26 – to announce “his proposed way forward for the stewardship of Mauna Kea.”

The news conference will be streamed live on the state website at governor.hawaii.gov

A few minutes before Big Island Video News received the media advisory about the Governor’s press conference, the Office of Mauna Kea Management sent out a newsletter announcing an “Open House and Kukakuka Session” on Thursday May 28th at the Halepohaku Presentation Room just below the Visitor information Station on Maunakea (and the encampment site of the Ku Kia’i Mauna protectors) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...mauna-kea/
Without ignoring the importance of the millions to be spent and donated here on Hawaii island for local construction jobs on the building of the giant tmt over the greater part of the next decade. Curiosity has me thinking though, how this TMT observatory could also carry a very high electric rate which in turn greases some other important state monopolies like helco, Ormat, and aspiring politicians monthly or yearly. Conserving, recycling, and self sufficient family living seems to have gone by the wayside before really even getting started on Hawaii island. Conservation land and laws mean what exactly here in Hawaii again?

With the added summit tourism expected after the building of tmt coupled with the states electric kwatts cost and amount of power needed to operate. Its a no brainer decision for hawaiian politicians, trustees, and various stock holders to make sure this project is completed. With some area restaurants monthly electric bills being between $5-10,000 dollars already, I can't imagine how expensive The TMT electric bill will be? Jerry Jones, the owner of the Dallas cowboys might know as his billion dollar stadium with a jumbo tron could be close in electrical costs? Maybe the TmT will supplement some with solar as to do their part in helping to keep Hawaii green? Better yet run a direct line from Puna geothermal for the much needed power? Pele's constant visit and addition to maunakeas summit hmmmm, could be fireworks in more ways than one?.

How does this type of scientific curiosity benefit our young and old living and working today within our island community? Why should this TMT world race or project trump and be an island priority over much needed community projects like updated medical facilities, health studies, a needed prison, places for future wastes and garbage, continued education, affordable housing, or parks for keiki and added county locally secured jobs? My guess here is that the State may start charging a public road fee or "visitor" fees to the new eye in the sky "tmt" that said proceeds could then be "promised"to go towards these much needed community projects, of course until laws are changed, funds are frozen or needed?

Enough is enough, especially with the meaningless signatures and testimony one way or the other. Where do I need to go this weekend to get some much needed exercise, education, and aloha "maunakea"?

Every question mark represents how lazy you are Gypsy.

ETA ... Sorry Rob ... just ridiculous.

ETA part two ... Gypsy ... I said it already, but from outside looking in >>> You going downhill.

Why should this TMT world race or project trump and be an island priority over much needed community projects

Backwards. More money/jobs means more demand for community services. (At least in theory.)
gypsy69:

I'ts not a TMT vs social services for residents that we are dealing with. TMT is funded by a group of nations who are all spending a lot of money to see this project come to life. The Canadian Government is kicking some money in, and some of that money is being spent in Canada to produce part of the observatory that will be assembled in Hawaii. This project can in no way "trump and be an island priority over much needed community projects".

What will happen is there will be a number of jobs created that will generate tax revenue. If we want anything, we should be demanding both wise spending and accountability on the part of our politicians.

If you need exercise, I recommend riding a bicycle from Hilo to Mauna Kea and back. For education how about Imiloa. Unfortunately, Aloha has been pretty scarce lately in punatalk, although there are a few who still post in that spirit.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike