Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohia trees are dying rapidly, Why?
Thank you all for the obvious concern for the Ohia tree. From what I have noticed in the last 3 years, is that this die-off is happening in just about all areas of lower Puna. Dry places like Kapoho, Seaview and PP have now been losing trees to this die-off, where wetter places like Leilani and Pahoa showed this die-off 3 years ago. The trees affected now, are small and large and just about everywhere in lower puna.
A few years ago I really thought this die-off started right behind our house and down the road to the Geothermal plant. I was so concerned 3 or 4 years ago I called the mayor and everyone else I thought might know or help. The only Person who came out to look was J.B. Friday from the forest div. at the University. This was 2 years after I first reported all this death to the forest back here. The mayor's office claimed to have no recollection of any past geothermal problems that had killed Ohia. This I found odd because I had seen trees die in the 80's and 90's from geothermal "accidents". Once I started claiming it was from geo I did get a few more call backs from other divisions to assure me they thought this was natural and not caused from geo.
Sad to write this but about a year ago I finally stopped calling or writing about this die-off because I started noticing this death all over and not just in my back yard. Really was just going in circles on the phone as all divisions continue to pass the buck and truly claim there are no resources to study this dieoff. What worries me some is: Why would geothermal report such accidents if they don't have too?. After the backlash from past accidents I wonder if they would report all?. If we have such great satellites and technology now? why cant someone go back to a certain date to find the first area of death?. Maybe this area had been inundated with bad air or water that has spread by wind or water?. I also wonder IF this kind of Dieoff happened anywhere else in the state would they launch a health study or any kind of study?. I tried to have helco, University, mayor, Dlnr, anyone to take flyover pictures of this dieoff years ago, every division told me no resources, even as I am watching their copters (helco's,) over head, as I have them on the phone. VERY SAD RESPONSE TO A SADDER SITUATION. If the state wants more geothermal in my back yard they need to prove to me my kids are not brushing their teeth with Geothermal waste or death. The trees around our house have mostly died now, but when they lost their leaves to the burn, the leaves fell on to our roof then washed into our catchment.
Seems to me the state would want to do a study to prove it is NOT caused from Geothermal, so they can move on with the PV investments?. Worries me some that this is not worth a good study, yet the state wants to move forward with more experimental Geothermal HERE?. all just my opinions.
Thanks for trying to alert people. I wonder if the VOG could be contributing also? It is sad to see such magestic trees dying off.
Ohia (Tomentosa polymorpha, aka Ohia lehua) are NOTORIOUSLY sensitive to root disturbance. In areas where top soil is minimal, Ohias tend to spread roots further out from the trunk that in areas where soils are deep and their roots can penetrate further into the soil layer thus staying closer to the trunk. Ripping and grading and 'forest floor' plant removal can be partly to blame for the demise of many Ohia in Hawai'i. Lots of folks strive to preserve their Ohia all the while ripping and clearing everything to within inches to feet of the trunk. Ohias are tall and slender and have limited 'canopy' as opposed to the giant ficus (like you see in Hilo where the canopy and thus the drip lines are huge). There is an area at the base of trees (in general) encompassing basically the circumference of the growth 'umbrella' which translates into the 'drip line' at the base of the tree (imagine being in the canopy and dripping water at the very edge all the way around the tree. THAT is the drip line). It is UNWISE to clear and grub or rip within that area. And if the soil is shallow, an area FAR outside the drip line should be avoided and the deeper the soil, the closer to the drip line you can C/G and rip. Trees are subject NOT JUST TO the soils they sink their roots into but the surface soils surrounding them as well. Lava fields typically have shallow colluvial/alluvial top soils and so through evolution, trees tend to grow large and shallow root systems as a support mechanism in addition to their nutrient uptake mechanism. I HIGHLY suggest VERY limited disturbance around Ohias, PARTICULARLY in terms of ripping the surficial soils surrounding them. In fact, I would keep ANY ripping to at least 10-20 feet in a circle AWAY from the trunk of any older Ohia and less is OK with younger trees ~ jus' sayin' ~ BTW, I'm a retired Landscape Architect with degrees in Ornamental Horticulture and Plant Identification. Also, I owned a large Bamboo, Palm, and Succulent nursery and that is how I know ~ ~ ~
Kaihekili
Had to bring this topic back because the Ohia trees are still dying why?. Since hurricane Iselle brought the winds, more trees are dying at even a faster rate around Leilani. Thought some might want to write in their thoughts to why or what could be still causing our rain forest to die?.

I personally believe geothermal released enough steam that night to kill more Ohia.
My wife believes the dead trees are from a virus and that the high winds spread it easier.
My neighbor believes Pele is marking her future paths by taking the tree as a sacrifice or something like that?.

Anyway our beautiful land in Puna has been changing very fast during the last few decades and it is sad to see or watch. Sure the replacing trees like the albezia are nice to look at but the Ohia tree should be worth saving or at least a study to why they may be dying TODAY.Not in 1955.
Ohia is Metrosideros polymorpha. FYI.
they die in yards because people remove their natural mulch (ie Uluhe ferns) and the roots then dry too fast, or people damage their roots by driving over them walking on them digging etc., or a short drought will kill them when they dont have much soil.

If the tops die back 1st, then its these reasons... all water related.

Or they just may be old... if many trees of the same size die back is natural, as they were all the same age roughly ie Bird Park dieoff of Ohia.

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Another thing to note is that the Albezia is nitrogen fixing tree similar to legumes. I often see patches of thick green vegetation under the Albezia groves. So I'm believing the Ohia die-off has more to do with the fungus and less with the invasive trees.
There is a meeting tomorrow in Leilani. I could not find a link to the poster, but here is the info:

Update on Ohia Die-off
Extension Forester J. B. Friday will present an update on recent developments in studying the die-off of Ohia in Leilani and lower Puna.
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
7 – 8:30 pm Leilani Community Center Meeting Room

Jerry
Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
Thank you Jerry. Good timing.
Ohia evolved in a low nitrogen environment, but albizia increase the nitrogen wherever they grow, so while other plants may do well in albizia areas, ohia do not.

Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb