Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill
quote:
Originally posted by wisco_cheese

Instead of suing the county like a bunch of over-litigious assholes or puppets working for big agribusiness, these clowns could be supporting good research or other community projects. Work on some of the suggestions above along with networking and supporting other farmers and small businesses instead of wasting taxpayer money fighting well-thought legislation.

Welcome to the forum, however, your first post is quite insulting to our farmers (bold above by me). Our farmers are NOT "clowns", nor the other insulting term used in your post.

The issue is GMO (discussed ad nauseam here and everywhere) and the litigation in response to our County Council's actions. Frankly, the County Council provoked this lawsuit, and our farmers deserve to have their rights protected in this GMO process.

Mr. Ha is a man of honor, and courage. He has done many good things for our community over the course of several decades. I take great umbrage when his, or any of our farmer's character is disrespected with regard to this lawsuit.

I trust fairness will prevail in this matter, and our farmers livelihood will not be jeopardized due to "political errors" in judgement.

JMO.
quote:
Originally posted by wisco_cheese

Big Ag is a scam, it has been proven over and over in unbiased studies by people who know how to practice intensive agriculture. Well developed landrace varieties outperform hybrids; organics outperform no-till GMO; replacing organic matter and sourcing on-sight fertilizer is more economical than soilless culture; excessive spraying produces herbicide resistant 'super weeds'.

Really??? Is that why "organic" crops cost three to four times what conventionally grown crops cost in my neighborhood market? Where are those profits going??? What a load of completely muddle-headed nonsense you spout...
The GMO ban law is vague and unfair to local farmers, almost totally singling them out for prosecution.

It's seriously doubtful, if the law wasn't there, that all the local farmers would invite Monsanto to stay at their house while showing them the latest catalog of glowing spinach and strawberries that grow in a cube.

There has yet to be a single anti-GMO fanatic to identify what specific health problems are *proven* to be due to GMO. While the specific causes of autism are not well known, it has been recently proven to have no correlation to GMO food. In fact, there has been recent advancement in possibly curing autism:
http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2014/...utism-mice
Century-old drug reverses signs of autism in mice

I don't drink milk and cut most dairy products because they all raise cholesterol, not any vegan or lactose intolerant thing. Tried soy milk for awhile, didn't find it bad but have switched to almond milk now. They both have GMO labels, GMO-free, not that it's a big purchase decision. It does show that companies can take on the labeling themselves without growing government to take care of a market issue.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
You can sue for clarity and equal treatment?

Shouldn't we have a lot more lawsuits ongoing? When has clarity or equal treatment ever been present at the state or county level in Hawaii?

I'm curious what the written complaint submitted by the plaintiff(s) attorney says. Anyone have a link?
Industrial AG produces food deficient in omega 3 fatty acid and many other micronutrients. GMO crops are mostly dwarfed crops,short stalks short roots means they never pass through the already depleted top soil to the nutrient rich subsoil. this results in anemia(iron deficiency)goiter(iodine deficiency) and blindness(vitamin A defeciency). Now golden rice has been enginiered to contain the vitamin A already present in land race grains. Monoculture is a bad health hazard. Many great things may come from GMO science. Most gmo crops are not these great things.
Almost everything you said in that post is wrong fishenjim. Let me know if I should quote each error / misconception and explain why - generally that seems to tick people off a lot including the moderator.

You get a pass for monocultures being bad and GMOs having potential.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Now if we could just figure out a process to stop it from turning our bodies into a cancer factory

Venting angry BS into a forum is a leading cause of cancer. Maybe try chillin?

Absolutely chillin...no anger in that quote, just the truth. I don't know how you got anger out of that quote but whatever... GMO enthusiasts are such a fragile bunch.
How is this any different than asking the county for a special permit?

GMO permits would be easier to get?

GMO enthusiasts are such a fragile bunch.

Where did I claim to be an "enthusiast"? Never. I'm a "realist" -- agronomics has more money than we pay in property tax, so they'll get their way sooner or later. Deal with it.
You wont tick me off rainy. I know most grains that are gmo are dwarfed. I know that the gene that makes the stalk short makes the root shallow. I know that most topsoil is depleted. I have been watching corn and wheat grow my whole life, Ive seen it then ive seen it now. I know venison is way better for you than feedlot beef and I know why. That being said I am not that person who has to be right. I am no scientist. I am A pretty good researcher. I can debate both sides of most subjects , much better verbally than written though.I do know some history and messing with mother nature,mostly a bad idea. I am always interested in knowing how I am wrong and never ashamed of being wrong. please rainy always feel free to correct me really.Im no troll I just like a good debate and you have to admit there is alot to debate on this subject
"Industrial AG produces food deficient in omega 3 fatty acid and many other micronutrients."
First, you seem to be entirely at a loss as to what omega 3 fatty acids and micronutrients actually are. So, lets start there. Omega 3 fatty acids are lipids. These are fats from vegetative and marine sources important to our metabolism but not easily synthesized by our body. Micronutrients are trace minerals required for physiological functions - things like iron, cobalt, copper, etc.

"GMO crops are mostly dwarfed crops,short stalks short roots means they never pass through the already depleted top soil to the nutrient rich subsoil"
Okay, so while we have the ability to dwarf crops most GMO crops are not dwarfed, this is done selectively and only if such dwarfing would prove economically viable which isn't always the case. You have the soil completely backwards the topsoil is the most nutrient rich and fertile soil while the subsoil is compacted and relatively sterile in comparison.

"this results in anemia(iron deficiency)goiter(iodine deficiency) and blindness(vitamin A defeciency)."
Is there a study somewhere - not trying to snub you just never heard of any studies claiming negative health possibilities listed above attributed to GMOs.

"Now golden rice has been enginiered to contain the vitamin A already present in land race grains...Many great things may come from GMO science. Most gmo crops are not these great things."
I thought this part was funny because you seem to not realize this golden rice is one of these great things and contradicts your previous claims about blindness / vitamin A deficiency.