Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Na`i Aupuni `Aha...
Thanks to ironyak for a helpful and positive reply. Although some of my concerns were answered, it would seem that there remain some significant obstacles.
Agreed that there are major obstacles, not the least of which is a lack of participation. Even with the low bar set by the DOI for ratification, it would not surprise me if the proposed constitution, especially in its current form, fails to muster enough support.

What I can't wrap my head around is Ritte's and other sovereignty candidates refusing to participate at all. It is one thing to not have a seat at the table but to choose to not have a voice seems self-defeating. Why not help shape the constitution towards complete sovereignty instead of recognition? Why not form an alternative coalition that would have lead to the convention only being able to accept but not adopt the constitution (that vote was very close). Why not be on record as voting No for Federal Recognition and voicing all the compelling reasons why?

If anyone has insights on this recurrent theme of non-participation I would be interested in hearing them as it seems to be wide-spread but contrary to the celebrated history of activism seen with the Ku'e Petitions, Kawho'olawe, etc...
Ironyak, when I asked some of my Hawaiian friends and neighbors if they were participating in this process, I was surprised by the how many said "No." Several said they were happy with the current standard U.S. citizenship and felt that the only options offered by the current process were independence or declaring a "fake Indian tribe," neither of which they wanted. (I think there may be an underestimation on the part of the organizers as to this element, and they ignore it at their peril.) Others said that they didn't see it going anywhere and stayed on the sidelines for that reason. One thing they just about all said was that using the DHHL/OHA model and/or personnel for anything moving forward was asking for trouble.

Now we are talking about a sample of around a dozen and a half people here, so I don't want to give the impression of some credible survey. Just food for thought.
"if anyone has insights on this recurrent theme of non-participation I would be interested in hearing them as it seems to be wide-spread but contrary to the celebrated history of activism seen with the Ku'e Petitions, Kawho'olawe, etc..."
I was there during the election. There were many voices urging boycott as in their opinion, the election was illegal. Can't give you the proportional representation of the indigenous, or the vote no totals, but I did hear urges to boycott.

-dwajs
-dwajs
Originally posted by Chunkster
when I asked some of my Hawaiian friends and neighbors if they were participating in this process, I was surprised by the how many said "No." ...

Thanks for the feedback. I agree about what appears to be a large faction that does not seems aligned with either recognition or independence. Finding a solution that best realizes all these desired outcomes is no doubt difficult and part of why very little changes decade after decade.

For those interested in following the Aha Aloha Aina efforts, the video for their large gathering on Feb 25th on Oahu is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ0dw4WRFj0&list
(Walter Ritte speaks at the welcome ~12m30s)

And the shorter meeting held in Hilo on Feb 23rd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsq17_Mlj_o
Thanks for the links Ironyak.

This old puna related article reminds me a lot of those meetings or links you provided. This woman Ms Danner may be in line or setting her self up to be the new queen of the hawaiian nation,jmo.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2013/0...cy-center/

I am not sure or can not fiqure out her importance or intentions, is she(ms Danner) working for or against her fellow native Hawaiians?