Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PMAR
Shipman only has a theft issue along the old railroad route. Shipman's makai lands have no agriculture. So closer to the ocean is the route worth considering. Shipman doesn't like it because it would take traffic to Hilo and not Keaau. Fact is eminent domain would be just as effective with Shipman as it is with anyone else. Screw em. They wouldn't hesitate to do it to you... and they have done so.

The original intended route for the Keaau Bypass was going to hit the highway much closer to Hilo. Guess who got it moved?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Its fun to argue about what should or shouldnt happen in lower puna ... but the reality is that people are moving in faster than they are dying off.. it wouldnt surprise me if in thirty years puna has more residents than all other districts combined. And alot of them will be people who are retired.

There has to be some kind of maintained infrastructure to support the masses that will surely come.

..And the people bowed and prayed... to the neon God they made...
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Shipman only has a theft issue along the old railroad route. Shipman's makai lands have no agriculture. So closer to the ocean is the route worth considering.

They should have had a coastal hwy all the way to Hilo before they even layed out the subdivisions.
.. that was just dumb.. with a capital D. Now they have the mess of 'taking' the land back.. were they to go that route.

" The needs of the many.. out weigh the needs of the few.". - Spock

..And the people bowed and prayed... to the neon God they made...
They should have had a coastal hwy all the way to Hilo before they even layed out the subdivisions.

I believe the concept is called "civic planning", and it's used wherever subdivisions are actually intended for "residential use" -- these were (claimed to be) "agricultural". (Tired old joke.)

a rail line that goes along the old bed way, with a mini center at key points (between subdivisions?)

I had similar thoughts when driving RR during the lava emergency: there's plenty of open space between the subdivisions for some little shopping centers -- these would be far enough away from existing homes that nobody would complain about "their backyard", and there's no existing subdivision boundaries to get in the way. If the route is primarily "local", it doesn't create the heavy traffic of a bypass road unless 130 is blocked.

One problem (I'm sure there are others) is the truck traffic required to keep the shopping centers stocked -- I believe this is why the Nanavale shopping center was platted but never built.

Building out RR as an actual railway would be amazing, but expensive; if it were built as a tourist attraction (eg, reproduction cane trains) with some kind of oceanfront inn at one end, and the lava tree park at the other... one can dream.

eminent domain would be just as effective with Shipman as it is with anyone else

This is probably unrealistic at the local level; it's more likely that the populace will self-organize into some kind of "virtual shopping center". Drones are already cheap enough to deliver a dozen eggs across the subdivision...
"Shipman's makai lands have no agriculture."

Rob,that's not what I see on Google Earth, closer to Keeau there is extensive Ag.
" And alot of them will be people who are retired.

There has to be some kind of maintained infrastructure to support the masses that will surely come."

Not sure about that.I am a retiree as are most of my neighbors down in Kapoho. We don't have much need to go to Hilo. Pahoa is just fine for most of my needs and when I drive to Hilo it is not during busy times. We also shop for each other when we make a Costco run.
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

Some times, just some times, I really gotta agree with pahoated.

People living along the Waianae coast on Oahu would agree also !
Counterexample:

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...alii-palms

The development will be on the hook for as much as $793,000 - $13,672 per lot - in fair share contributions; money that will go toward roads, parks, police, fire protection and solid waste.

From this, the price tag of "full service" can be calculated:

Hawaiian Acres: 4006 lots x $13672 = about $55M

HPP: 8000 lots x $13672 = about $109M

As a 20-year bond issue, that $13K is only a $1-2K/year surcharge on your property taxes! (Of course the money would probably vanish mysteriously after being collected... building nice new roads elsewhere on island, or similar.)
'Shipman only has a theft issue along the old railroad route. '

There is nothing there, RR is about 3 miles from Shower to Puna Rock, maybe a 1/4 mile of it crosses ag land, it just runs through bushes.

These approaching election time issues are always a great source of entertainment. The Kea'au - Pahoa bypass widening is a lot nicer and came just in time, imagine that traffic now on the old two-lane. That is an ongoing issue.

I realized recently that PMAR can also stand for Puna Mauka Alternative Route. And apparently some think that is the higher priority acronym. Mauka, Not Makai.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...cting-many

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*