Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When will the County replace inundated roads?
Kimo - one difference is that recently laid asphalt isn't covered by a by several feet or yards of insulating lava and can cool radiatively - quite rapidly in most cases. I've no idea if the lava at the previous ground level is still hot although if HVO hasn't tried to measure this already, I'm sure they will soon. The thermal images could easily be misleading as they'll show the temperature at the top of the lava flow which will be at ambient temperature and not necessarily indicate how warm it is underneath.

I would be interested to find out if anyone has more info on this, including any recent measurements of temperatures underneath the flows.
With all the hvo funds arround u would think they could do core samples lol, or has that idea not crossed there minds yet?
Aloha

Dan D
HPP

HPP
quote:
Originally posted by waawaawah

Glinda, just because I say you protest too much, doesn't mean I don't enjoy your posts!

I must protest! How dare you!

Smile
I think if there is any hot lava left in Opihikao the road could still be cut. Its a surface flow so we know that there's no hot lava below the established ground level. The exposed hot residual rock would cool pretty rapidly. Might want to equip the Dozers with bullet proof glass though.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
try look at some images... many of the roads are covered with 50'+ of lava... they will never be cleared, they will need to be remade completely to go over flow if they even decide to do this...
... aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha

Go over the top then.State and county need to come up with a plan soon.At the least Make a rough road for residents. Gate it if necessary until a better road can be built.
they will need to be remade completely to go over flow if they even decide to do this...
-----------------
Of course. That is how roads are made here after lava comes through. (One little portion over by the transfer station, being the rare exception.)
they will need to be remade completely to go over flow
Go over the top then.

Aren't almost all of our roads over lava? The main roads in HPP like Mahu'u, Paradise, Kaloli are like a roller coaster track over dips and rises in the natural contours of the lava.

On Tuesday night, 9/18/2018 Hawaii Senator Mazie Hirono had another message for the Republican senators on the Judiciary Committee “Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing.” She added in another related comment, “Bull$hit.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Good Point ^ Its gotta be done at some point.
Everyone wants access to the new Pohoiki beach.
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...r-pohoiki/

However, Kim said a temporary emergency access road into Pohoiki will be constructed within about two months. The proposed route would be accessible from near Mackenzie State Recreation Area and would not require the removal of the lava flow, but instead would be a graded road over parts of the flow, with sections of Highway 137 repaired for use along the route.