Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Control your EFFING DOGS!
quote:
Originally posted by Big_Island

Ohh Boy... Dont get me started on the loose dog situation... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CUu6P9M4nY

Big_Island,

As much as this video scares me, I want to commend you for not severely harming the dog the way I might have.[V]

-------
The more we speak up... the more they will listen.
Isn't it the law in HI that you must keep your dogs off the property of others?

april
april
quote:
Originally posted by aprild

Isn't it the law in HI that you must keep your dogs off the property of others?

april

You gonna bring the strays into court to fine them and put them into the doggie pound for trespassing ... Do you bring in other doggies to be the jury? [Wink]

-------
This is directly from the Hawaii Island Humane Society:

The Hawaii Island Humane Society holds a contract with the County of Hawaii to enforce certain animal-related laws. We offer 24-hour service for injured animals and other animal emergencies. If you have a complaint about a possible violation of an animal related law, including cruelty, please call your local shelter immediately. Your information will be kept confidential.

Barking Dogs
Without proper training, any dog can become a nuisance. A well-trained dog will not bark at common, everyday occurrences but only when its territory is threatened or when it is frightened, teased or angry. When barking continues for ten continuous minutes or intermittently for 20 minutes within a 30 minute period, it is considered a violation of the noisy dog statute.

If you are having a problem with a neighbor's dog barking, we suggest you try talking to your neighbor first. You may want to give your neighbor a copy of the article The Barking Dog. If the noise problem re-occurs, you will need to call the police non-emergency line at 935-3311 to file a complaint with the Hawaii County Police Department.

Dangerous Dogs
If a dog bites or harms a person or domestic animal, the owner may be required to appear in court. The court will determine any possibly fines, whether the dog is deemed to be dangerous, and what steps the owner must take to prevent further problems. Corrective action mandated by the court may include requiring the dog to be spayed or neutered, attend obedience training, wear a muzzle, and be kept in the home or a locked kennel. The dog's owner may be fined anywhere from $200 to $2,000 and be sentenced to up to 30 days in jail. Dogs deemed dangerous are also required to be microchipped at the owner’s expense.

Defecation
Animals are not permitted to defecate on any private property without the permission of the property owner. If your pet defecates on the side of a public street or other public thoroughfare, you are required by law to pick up the waste and dispose of it in a sanitary manner.

Stray Dogs
Dogs are not permitted in County Beach Parks under any circumstances, even while on a leash. On other public property, dogs are required to be under restraint on a leash of eight feet or less. Dogs are considered stray if they are on private property without the consent of the property owner.

So these are the Laws...the hoops we have to jump through to try to remedy the situation, hoping that the police and humane society actually care and have to ability to do something. If you look at Oahus Humane Society they seem to have a stronger position on things with more options for response, it's just a part of living in Puna I guess - yet, we do have to protect our property and our children.

How about this: Air Rifle???
I mistakenly said my neighbor used some sort of BB gun to scare away stray dogs...I think an air rifle is a good solution, no one gets hurt (dog or human)!!

My edit: I thought an air rifle was something that made a loud noise scaring the dogs away, not an actual gun- obviously I have NO knowledge of guns, I hear my husband laughing at me now....Sorry
You all have me wondering what you would do if you lived in an area that had a slight potential for rabid chipmunks.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Well Rob, in my case, I would shoot (pellet rifle) any chipmunk that displayed any unusual behavior and deliver the carcass to the local Health Dept.

The rest would be free to roam....

Bill
This might be a little off topic, but it refers to the O'ahu Humane Society and the way people can be with the animals in their care, and it may have bearing on the limitations of this organization. Some years back, we were visiting in Honolulu and saw an elderly man beating his old dachsund because it wouldn't stop barking at us from his fenced yard. I can only guess that this was one of the reasons why he had a dog in the first place, to bark at strangers walking by the house. We felt that his treatment was excessive, so we reported the event to the Honolulu Humane Society. They actually sent officers out quickly and took the dog from the man. We followed up with them. They had examined the dog and found that it showed some signs of abuse, but they couldn't keep it around for very long. Long story short, they ended up returning the dog to the man after a few days, giving him a warning. I had, and still have, mixed feelings about what we did. I don't know that this intervention did anything beneficial for the dog. In fact, it could have resulted in the dog being killed the HHS. As it was, it went back to familiar, probably comfortable, surroundings and possibly more mistreatment. But which was "better"?

My guess is that the HS on the Big Island has less capability to deal with animal control/mistreatment issues than the Honolulu HS; bigger area, less funding for fewer officers, despite what their policies are. I would be surprised if the police would spend much time on a dog control issue until it resulted in serious injury or death to the human. Hoping I'm wrong.

In a way, the Puna District seems like non-metropolitan areas of Alaska where many of the people who migrate there, in part, are trying to get away from the "meddling" law officers, to conduct their lives as they see fit without being bothered by the rest of society. What do you think?
quote:
Originally posted by dirk1609

Here is a question and its a long one, also not an exangeration.

Lets say pretty much every night you are kept awake with the sound of barking dogs. What slepp you do get is interrupter due to the mosion light going off due to dogs. When you do fall asleep you are woke up early by the sound of barking dogs. When you wake up you get to pick up the trash that the dogs riped out of your bungy corded trash can. You also get to sadly look at your riped up garden. Then you also remember how you will never get to own chickens, ducks or goats because loose dogs will kill them. Then when you are ready to do some yard work you realize the dogs have once again hauled off you leather gloves and a leather boot is missing. Any natural fertilizer, such as blood meal or bone meal is also riped up and all over the yard. Your any ant bait traps are also torn up due to the sweet poison goo inside. Your rat bait has also been eaten. Any rat traps are also set off because a dog ate the peanut butter. The potatoe garden has been dug up due to the soft dirt and the natural fertilizer. Coffe plants have been damaged due to digging dogs probaly due to the rabbit poop use as fertilizer. After all that frustration you decide to go for your daily walk where you get some excerise and pick up garbage in the neighbor. While on that walk I get to step in all the dog crap that is all around our front gate, which by the way smells like a kennel. After just a couple steps out of my driveway i get chased by twop of the neighbors dogs that are always loose and ready tio bite the ankles. Many more times I will be threatened and chased by more loose dogs as i dodge dog crap which is all over the road. Once I get home I think about talking to the neighbors about their dogs then rember the FU response. Then I think about letting the police handle the issue then rember the neighbor's terrible attitude about his dogs then think about retaliation and my house being vandalized, assault, or maybe my house just being burnt down. During the day and night if it is too hot, the windows and doors must still be closed do to the noise of the barking dogs. After all this crap I constantly deal with I rember why I want to kill any thing on four legs that end up anywhere near my home. Deal with this level of crap on a weekly basis and you will feel the same way. If you dont then please tell me the name of the pharmacutrical you are on. As I type this at 10:54 PM it sounds like a kennel outside.

Dirk, I feel for you with the noise level[Sad]. As for the destruction, it seems like it's time for you to invest in a fence.

For a place that has such high anti-gun sentiments, most of the people who have posted on here seem a bit lunatic to me in their "solutions". Slug Bait!!?? AntiFreeze??? [Sad!]You people are despicable if you are truly serious. How about some viable solutions that don't include killing or maiming some people's beloved family members??? (Granted, many of these animals are probably not well taken care of, but some are, I'm sure, and are occasional escape artists with a high sense of curiosity, not "Bad, Vicious" dogs.) Viable solutions include
BB Guns: Quiet, great aiming distance with the rifle style, a few times with that and they'll get more wary of "your turf"
Salt shot: The salt sprays out, doing very little actual damage, but stings like a buggah, an upgrade if the BB gun doesn't work.
Water: This works great for splitting up dog fights, and when you're riding your bike/walking. Just douse them. They get hesitant to come after you then, we trained our neighbor's dogs with this trick when they'd come try to eat our tires everytime we drove by.
Catch them and take them to the pound: Fines are charged, it's kept track of, some states even enforce madatory jail time for the owners if their animals are confiscated and taken to the pound more than 10 times (maybe that should be something we push for). Either way, it gets expensive. This is a real incentive for bad pet owners to get with the program. [^]
The violence you people are talking about here is un-necessary [xx(] in most of these situations. Damon, any dog has the 'Potential' to harm a person. A pre-emptive strike of murdering the animal is not a logical solution. A pre-emptive strike of being wary and carrying a big stick/water/pepper spray, etc, is a logical solution.

It seems like the hardest issue to solve is the barking. You can't keep earplugs in all the time and if your neighbors are jerks and the law won't help, well... that one would take some thinking on.
Melissa Fletcher
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

You all have me wondering what you would do if you lived in an area that had a slight potential for rabid chipmunks.

I'd try something like This[^]

Plastic framed housing which has a metal pad on the floor where targeted rodents will walk. When turned on, the pad carries a negative charge on one side and a positive charge on the other side. The two sections of the pad are not touching allowing for the charge to remain for long periods of time. Rodents which enter the chamber will act as a bridge between the two pads and effectively ground it out leading to their death. When the two pads ground out, they will deliver a 30-60 second bolt of electricity which is strong enough to kill many small rodents. It works off high voltage and very low amps. In other words, it can't kill a person if someone was to accidently ground it out. They would feel discomfort; a pain where they touched it for sure, but it can't do any damage. The unit features an off/on switch located on top, runs on 4 AA batteries and will deliver up to 10 kills (larger animals will use up the batteries faster).

See video above[Wink]

-------
quote:
Originally posted by YurtGirl

......Damon, any dog has the 'Potential' to harm a person. A pre-emptive strike of murdering the animal is not a logical solution. A pre-emptive strike of being wary and carrying a big stick/water/pepper spray, etc, is a logical solution.

I don't think I was ever talking about preemptive strikes. However, if Any dog was about to harm my child... that dog better think twice[Wink]

Thus, my initial post... people control your dogs.... You don't control your dog...and it comes on my property where my child plays outside sometimes unattended.... I come out and see a dog about to prounce.... you know I'm doing something immediately to that dog.[}Smile] Why wait until the dog has already pounced upon my child in my yard?

-------