Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is President Obama Hawaiian?
I have not made it the Festival, but I have been to Terlingua many times, I spent a lot of time in the Big Bend area, My father worked in the CC Camp there, and in later years took me there many times. He was from Wink, and my mother is from Monahans, so they new much of the History down there. My uncle owns the Yates Ranch outside of Fort Stockton so I still have some roots there.

My father was also here in Hawaii during WWII, and told a few stories about what it was like then. I wished we had made a trip here when he was alive, I am sure he would have made my first visit a more memorable one.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
There seems to be so many Texans on this blog. I'd imagine mesquite will be the next invasive species to the Big Isle..
Mesquite has been in Hawaii a very long time and is considered invasive by some. Its called Kiawe.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Mesquite is nasty and definitely invasive, having taken over and ruined large expanses of over-grazed grassland . I would never knowingly import it, despite its usefulness in barbecuing.

Jon, you and I have a lot in common. My father was also in Hawaii in WWII before heading out for Saipan and Okinawa. I was born in Gorman, not far from Stephenville and Brownwood. Would have been born at Stephenville except for the fact that they nearly killed my older sister when she arrived at the local hospital. My mother still lives there, and I will be there for Thanksgiving. I have two uncles who lived for a time in Monahans in the 50's. They sent money home from the oil fields to help the family ranch financially during a really terrible drought.

Swys, I have been to Sweetwater and Hamlin many times.

We have completely hijacked this thread. Maybe we should start the "Texans in Exile" thread. LOL.

Cheers,
Jerry
Well, When I get out there, I'll throw a party.
I'll serve a cornucopia of Texas cuisine: Fried Okra, Peas, chow chow, pintos, Corn Bread, Collards, BBQ, Chicken fried Steak, Tamales, BBQ brisket echiladas etc. It would be neat to see if folks like that stuff.

I do Cajun too, Gumbo, Boudin, Jumbalaya, bread puddin etc.

Texans in exile, a good name might be Texpats.
If you're going to serve that kind of chow I want to be an honorary Texan. I did pass through a couple of times in the early 70s. A lot of that stuff is basic southern food.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Can someone please change this topic to is Obama Texan[B)]

-------
My Blog
Well, there were six flags over Texas, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. We are still trying to convince Americans that Obama is Hawaiian -- not to mention Native Hawaiians.
Jerry, kiawe is actually good cattle feed, especially the green seed, Tough breeds thrive on it.
Gordon J Tilley

In West Texas, mesquite has a tendency to displace desirable grasses and, once established, forms thickets that further reduce grass coverage. While the seeds are indeed edible for tough breeds of cattle, they are not considered to be good feed. Ranchers in West and West Central Texas have spent millions on mesquite eradication. The real problem was the overgrazing which reduced soil quality and coverage, allowing the mesquite to move in on the depleted soil.

Cheers,
Jerry