Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Local Currency?
So how many KISSES can I get for a Punabuck?

I know it's smart-a$$ answer but what happens if each island develops its own currency?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

but what happens if each island develops its own currency?
Each island would be keeping more of their money until someone comes along and opens a broker office on the islands. They could sell for face value but buy at a discount. They will broker the sale of large sums into cash and possible even buy blocks from large establishments at a discount and exchange it for discounted cash. Over time, they can control the value of the currency on a local scale by valuing the cash equivalent.

Of course unless you have a lock on the area shopping and exchange such as in a Big Island currency versus a District currency, competition could devalue the currency. Imagine Puna Bucks and Kona Bucks and Hilo Bucks all competing. You may find an establishment in Puna unwilling to accept Puna Bucks because of limited use or less expenditure per customer, but will accept Hilo and Kona Bucks because they tend to spend more and it's worth their effort.
I hope nobody minds me bumping an old thread but this is something that hits very close to home for me.

Not only do I believe in such a system, but I have created one. I am credited as being the person to create the, "pay per post" model for community forums. In other words, I came up with the idea of starting a forum like this one and then paying people real money to post (such as $.01 to .25 per thread or post). I automated the entire system and integrated it into the forum.

I can setup such a system to be integrated into a vBulletin based forum in less than an hour.

1. There would be no physical currency, everything would be digital.

2. Rather than people buying "Punabucks" with dollars, upon being vouched for by someone already within the system, the newcomer could be granted say 10.00 Punabucks (or whatever number you want). That way a never increasing and never decreasing amount of punabucks per person is in the system. This also keeps things much more simple.

3. Over time, members come to agree how much a Punabuck or Punacent is worth. "I'll give you 1.00 Punabuck for one hour of gardening help" or whatever.

If there is a sincere desire to have this happen, it is most definitely doable and quite easy. Keep in mind that no computer system is safe from hacking unless it is not connected to the net. My system was never successfully hacked but that doesn't mean it can't happen. There are of course various safeguards that can be taken to reduce risk.
Hi David,

We're moving ahead with that project over here at http://sensiblesimplicity.lefora.com/forum/ and would enjoy having you aboard.
Yogi thanks for bumping forward as I somehow missed this the first time around.

Jay thanks for the link ;-)

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
The whole concept of money has become a pathetic joke in which we talk of trillions without shock, emotion, or comprehension. So how about this for Hawaiian money? Mexico's national symbol depicts a great bird (eagle?) with a snake in its beak, so why don't we go for a chicken with a centipede? I got this bit of inspiration a few days ago after stepping out my front door.
Let's call the currency "centipede"[Smile].
1 chicken costs 20 centipedes.
1 centipede - free to a good home[Big Grin]
For coins, we could depict our dear friends the Coqui Frog, Rat, Mongoose, Cane Spider, Scorpion, Wasp, ect.