Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preventing meningitis caused by parasites

Good news: two very experienced researchers in Australia have commented in some detail on the A. cantonensis outbreak in Puna.

Dr. Paul Prociv and Dr. Melissa Carlisle have been in touch with me via email and telephone. They have watched the webcast of Puna’s meeting on rat lungworm (though the sound was not completely audible for them) and looked through this Punaweb strand on the topic. Dr. Prociv is a physician and medical researcher who has decades of experience dealing directly with human incidence of “Angio” disease, including conducting autopsies and experiments with rats, slugs, and snails. Dr. Carlisle is a veterinarian and veterinary science researcher; she originally identified the rat lungworm in cockatoos and tawny frogmouth birds.

They write [shared with their permission]:

What you’re experiencing in Hawaii with the Angio “epidemic” is what we’ve been thru here before, several times. Angio is extremely common here in QLD (the state of Queensland), and over the years we both have been intimately involved with it from clinical (vet and human) and epidemiological angles.

I have just viewed those websites you suggested and am familiar with the concerns and responses of individuals. We’d be very happy to answer any specific questions you’d care to pass on. There are several points worth noting:

The parasite is very common in most endemic areas, e.g., where we lived in inner suburban Brisbane I used to regularly trap rats – R. rattus - in our backyard and consistently found 80% to be infected, some very heavily. Yet, they seemed to suffer no outer ill effects from their large parasite burdens (in contrast to lab rats, R. norvegicus, the white Wistars we often used in experiments). The lab rats died sometimes from as few as 30 Angio larvae. Wild rats stay infected for life, which is often as long as several years, unlike molluscs (slugs and snails) that have relatively short lives.

The third larval stage of the rat lungworm (L3) passed in rat faeces don’t survive long if they dry out or are exposed to sunlight (maybe a few minutes is enough to kill them), but enmeshed in a moist rat faecal pellet they can survive perhaps for weeks. Our slugs and snails just love rat-****; in the lab, I’d drop pellets into a box, and the snails would spend hours gobbling them up. While Achatina fulica (Giant African Snail) in Hawaii and SE Asia is implicated in many human cases, it is probably not important in the life-cycle; we suspect the smaller, short-lived slugs and snails are critical, as they’re what rats prefer to eat. Giant African snails are too big and tough to be a preferred food of rats, but rats love small tender slugs & snails and will snaffle them up immediately if available.

The surprising thing here is how few people acquire the infection (maybe 5-10 diagnosed cases a year, in a population of 4 million), although those who are stricken by Angio have spectacular and sometimes tragic presentations, making great media fodder and scaring the hell out of the public. Apart from the odd case of intentionally ingesting molluscs, most cases seem to involve eating salad vegetables almost certainly containing a small slug or snail; the story about mucus carrying the L3 is highly suspect and dubious. However, a person need ingest perhaps only 1 or 2 L3s to get a clinical infection, as each of these larvae then makes its way into the Central Nervous System (CNS) where they move about for 1-2 weeks, growing in size hugely -from memory I think they’re about 0.5 mm long when entering the CNS and 1-2 cms long when leaving. The clinical presentation depends entirely upon the pathways taken by the burrowing larvae, which seems completely random (apart from being directed from the arterial to the venous system). Of course, should you eat lots of L3s then you’re in big trouble. We were involved in a case about 11 years ago where an infant ingested thousands of L3, maybe all from one slug/snail; our infant here died after being in a coma for a month.

How to avoid it? That’s the big question – but keep it in perspective: you have a much greater chance of dying in a traffic accident on the roadway! Trying to completely wipe out all snails and slugs is a waste of time and money, as well as potentially damaging the local ecology in a big way (e.g. copper salts are highly toxic to plant and animal life, and can poison humans).

Rats are not directly involved--in the sense you can’t catch it from them--but of course they’re critical to maintaining the parasite in the environment and being relatively long-lived and pooping out thousands of L3s daily, so rats should be the target of control. Molluscs are ubiquitous, short-lived, usually lightly infected individually, and important in the local ecology so attacking them while ignoring the rats is not as useful, even tho the slugs and snails are who we directly get Angio from.

Other animals also get Angio, especially mammals. We’ve seen lots of cases in dogs, who eat lots of slugs n snails (probably accidentally, from food bowls left out overnight); fruit bats and horses are well documented, and no doubt probably most mammals which are exposed will take up L3s, meaning the parasite is not fussy about whom to invade (which makes sense evolutionarily), although as far as we know the L3s will develop into fertile worms only in rats (they get pretty close in people, too). Birds are probably extremely rarely infected; a PhD project in my old dept. (University of Qld) from the 1970s says chickens are refractory (altho I can’t vouch for the reliability of that limited study), and our case reports of infection in a few native birds just show how rare the infection is in them; this could reflect on the relative size of the avian CNS and hence its limited blood supply.

Anyway, there’s lots more to this, but I’ll leave it there, and await further questions. But I do sympathize with the comment about “the price you pay for living in paradise”. There’s nothing that public health authorities can do about this, apart from educating the public (responsible media would help, but is probably too much to ask for). It also hurts that clinicians can’t do much once a case is established, for there is no effective specific treatment; in fact, killing the worm during its CNS migratory phase would be counter-productive, as live ones eventually crawl out of the brain, while dead ones decay and trigger massive immune/inflammatory reactions there, which do the host-killing. And while clinicians always are tempted to administer corticosteroids in such cases, the evidence now is pretty strongly against this practice (in humans anyway; dogs seem to benefit!).

We hope this helps you a bit, but would be happy to discuss it further.

All the best,
Paul & Melissa Prociv-Carlisle

In conversation with Dr. Prociv he noted wild rats can bear a huge burden of rat lungworm without any apparent ill effect on their overall health, activity level, or how robustly they attempt to evade predation. In his opinion if there are sick-acting rats being sighted in Puna then look for sources to explain it other than the rat lungworms, as they just do not make wild rats sick.

In his backyard where he found eighty percent (80%) of rats to be carrying the rat lungworm, he also found only five percent (5%) of the slugs and snails to be infected. Since humans do not catch the disease from rats, only from the intermediate hosts (such as slugs and snails) or --more rarely-- from contaminated water where slugs or snails have died and shed L3 into the water, if this 80%:5% ratio of rat:mollusc infection holds, then reducing the rat population could significantly reduce incidence in slugs and snails ...and therefore reduce the potential hazard to human and animal health.

He stressed the tiny little slugs and snails, 1mm to 2mm long, are indeed those to be most concerned about eliminating. It is unlikely anyone will accidentally eat a large slug or snail, but even tiny little slugs and snails can carry many L3 stage A. cantonensis. Salt brine will indeed cause most tiny slugs and snails to drop off of a leafy surface if immersed in such a solution; but this should be tested with local species to determine actual efficacy in practice.

Produce at stores (and, therefore, subsequently in restaurants) has been demonstrated to contain tiny slugs and snails. Just because lettuce or whatever is purchased at a store or restaurant means nothing in regard to its potential for harboring small slugs and snails.

Most L3 consumed by a human will probably not survive the mastication and stomach acids, but even one surviving L3 in a human can cause distinctly problematic symptoms (headache, double vision, tingling and “pins & needles” sensations). Several L3 can cause devastating neurological damage. The L3 stage are only a few hundred microns long when they enter tissues but within 2 weeks they can attain lengths of 2 c.m. Hundreds to thousands (and it is possible to ingest that many, unknowingly, from a small number of very tiny slugs or snails if they are heavily infected) are enough to kill a human. The infant Dr. Prociv mentioned, on autopsy, was found to have approximately 2,000 L4 to L5, two-cm long rat lungworm larvae, embedded in the spinal cord and brain. The infant had been observed grubbing around in the dirt of a potted plant alongside an outdoor swimming pool, putting his hands in his mouth, the same number of days before he died as is consistent with the subsequent growth of the worms as judged by their development at autopsy. Undoubtedly the tot ingested one or several small but heavily infected slugs from that source.

The beginning of a wet spell in the weather is often followed by outbreaks of infection in pets and farm animals, as slugs and snails come out of hiding and are ingested. Dogs developing CNS disease in Queensland near the beginning of each rainy season are subsequently brought in to vets, this owing to slugs and snails on dogfood and drowning in water dishes. Horses can also have severe problems due to rat lungworm infection.

Fruit bats were found to be infected in Australia, which seemed odd, but then it was observed that the bats sometimes descend to the ground and flop around there eating fallen figs. Also, one species of local slug is a tree-climber and probably being ingested with fruit up in the trees by the bats.

L3 become very active as soon as a slug or snail dies. The L3 fight free of the dead slug or snail and remain active in water seeking a viable host for several weeks. Water containing L3, if a human drinks it, can infect. Trees (such as slug-attracting papaya) overhanging roofs should probably be trimmed back to prevent slugs and snails from dropping off the trees onto the roof and washing into water catchment tanks. Filter plates are recommended, as is filtration between the tank and the faucet.

Dr.s Prociv and Carlisle consider it unlikely coqui frogs are becoming infected in leaf axle pools by L3 liberated from the tissues of drowned molluscs. The L3 are seeking a mammalian host and would probably not zero in on the amphibians, is their guess. Chickens seem to be naturally resistant, but this might also be a function of the relatively small blood flow to the brain in chickens versus humans. The L3 are pumped passively in the blood until they are caught in tissues and begin burrowing. While 20% of the human cardiac output supplies the brain only a much smaller volume supplies avian brains. There may also be a different sort of blood-brain barrier in chickens; more research is needed but the experiment should be relatively inexpensive to conduct and conclusive if positive on autopsy for A. cantonensis.

In unpublished research, water about half as salty as seawater has been found to paralyze the L3. Paralyzed L3 removed from half-seawater-strength saline solution regain their motility and can become infective again in freshwater. It is highly unlikely A. cantonensis larvae of any stage can survive in seawater or in marine molluscs such as oysters.

Dr.s Prociv and Carlisle generously offered to make themselves available to answer further questions.

The big bottom-line take home points I find from this informative communication are to really focus eradication efforts on the rats and to take the issue seriously but not panic over it either. Running a very tight and tidy growing operation employing raised beds and using reasonable and environmentally sane deterrents has been demonstrated to lower slug and snail presence in produce grown in such controlled and sanitary conditions.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

A pleasant slideshow: http://www.thejoymovie.com

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
Wow what generous people contributing here. Thanks Steven et al.

My only question after ingesting this information is;

How should one clean their lettuce and product and what is the best solution mix to use?

Other than that I guess don't eat any slugs and wash hands frequently when in the garden?

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Steven, thank you for contacting Dr.Prociv and Dr. Carlisle, that was so interesting and informative about the research ongoing in Australia into this problem.
Growing up in England, we always had a large vegetable garden, since no chemicals were used, slugs, snails and insects thrived. After picking the veg we always soaked the lettuce, ect, in salt water for a while. This would kill whatever was clinging to the leaves and the pests would float loose, then we rinsed and checked veg thoroughly before eating.

In Salinas Ca. broccoli and other vegetables grown around the area had a problem with flea infestation, even though you bought the produce from the store! Again, we used the same method, this would draw the fleas out of the vegetables and kill them.

Unfortunately, due to the seriousness of this problem, not sure if this method would work with this type of contamination.
Salt water sounds promising. Have there been any tests run on vinegar water as an agent against the larvae ? I've been soaking my lettuce for an hour or so in vinegar water before rinsing. (1/4 cup per qt.)
Steven, great information, but I wonder if they could elaborate about the size of the nematode.

They said that catching the disease from contaminated water is rare, but people there may not use catchment like so many folks do here. Since dead slugs shed the parasite, and the semi-slug is quite a climber, it's conceivable that the parasites could end up in catchment tanks.

They mention that the L3 stage of the parasite is perhaps a few hundred microns long but didn't say anything about its width/diameter. A scientist told me four years ago that he believed a 20 micron filter in the water line would stop the parasite, but it would be nice to get a more definitive answer.
Steven, thank you so much for going above and beyond to gather facts.
[Smile]
I'm feeling more like the slime isn't an issue, especially with a regular washing, are you?

I have tomatoes, basil, peppers mostly, and lilikoi. Was getting scared to eat them.

My other herbs I grow in pots, on stands, on the deck, I'm that paranoid.
I love growing and eating parsley, but I know slugs like to crawl on it.
I hate feeling suspicious of my food.

I think that if a slug crawling on fruit or veggie was enough to leave nematodes, that many many more people would be sick, and far more of the existing cases would be unrelated to greens. Greens are an easy way to miss a bit of the critter; tomatoes are not.

Did everyone see the Jan 22nd Herald Trib article and Jan 24th West Hawai'i Today?

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal03.txt

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/articles/...ures01.txt

Shekelpal and robguz, how are the victims doing?
Just a couple of notes on previous posts:

What I keep not being able to understand is that scientists, including ones with the CDC, say that they find nematodes in the slime of the semi slug, just not that many, and that either no one knows how many nematodes have to be ingested or that you may only need a few to cause symptoms, but that it is doubtful that you can get the illness from the slime. Now, if you have ever gotten freshly slimed by a semi slug, you know it takes much scrubbing and something like clorox to get the slime off. It is incredibly viscous and I can imagine, particularly in this climate, the slime not drying for a little while, allowing the nematodes to stay alive. If you pick lettuce, or green pepper or anything else and just eat it right from the garden, which is what I used to do here years ago, and it happens to have slime on it, this means that you could be eating live nematodes, does it not?

All the studies I have read to date have said the the third stage larvae that can infect humans (L3) are only present in the mollusk/slug/snail and the slime (as well as a few other carriers that are not hosts) and not the rat feces. This is also what was presented at the meeting in Seaview. Humans cannot get the disease directly from the rat feces.

When the semi slug is tiny, and black in color it is does not carry the nematode, according to some studies. Only as it matures and turns grey which is when it is about 1/2 inch and gets up to its adult size of about 3 inches, is it infected with nematodes. Not that you would intentionally eat one of these things, but they could be overlooked and sliced up or put into a blender for a smoothie.

We give our dogs ivermectin and this not only prevents canine heartworm but is good against Angiostrongylus cantonensis as well. This is the preventative medication that some other places badly infected with A. cantonensis use for people.

The semi slug, or Parmarion martensi, has become the big problem as a vector of rat lung worm in Hawai“i. Angiostrongylus cantonensis (the nematode) has been around in Hawai‘i at least since the 1940s and the incidence of illness caused by it was very rare. People would only get ill from intentionally eating raw snails. With the introduction of the semi slug, the people getting meningitis from Angiostrongylus were largely unaware of how they got it. They did not intentionally eat a raw snail. This same pattern was documented in Okinawa, Japan some years ago. We have always had snails and slugs in the garden and I never heard of this illness until we started getting inundated with the semi slug. Where the semi slug was, there were cases of meningitis. Many more than were reported, because a lot of people went to chiropractors for pain or were told they had an injury and given pain pills or physical therapy.

Some snails are only minimally infected with L3, as alaskasteven's Australian scientist friends pointed out, but the semi slug is 77.5% infected here in Puna and can carry a massive dose of nematodes, according to a study done by Rob Hollngsworth and others. The planaria worm was here before but they seemed not to have been a problem. They now are frequently found sucking on the sides of the body of the semi slug and it seems to me that would give them a good dose of the nematode. They are not a host, but can carry the L3 nematode and are much harder to spot on vegetables.

I have forwarded the questions and thanks onward to doctors Prociv and Carlisle in Australia.

Following up on their point about infected rats living for years and spreading infection everywhere they go --and so being a much better focus for effective disease control efforts than slugs & snails alone-- here are some links to rat control strategies which have worked elsewhere, including some which rely upon inexpensive home-built "appropriate technology" rat-trapping approaches.

---

Zimbabwean Rat Trap (see a drawing of this inexpensive approach via link below)
http://journeytoforever.org/at_rattrap3.html

“...a simple and effective rattrap widely adopted by the Zimbabwe farmers for control of rats... caught 934 rats with 9 traps in 21 days....It is very simple to make the rat trap.

To make the trap you need a 20-litre bucket or large clay pot, which holds water. Bury this in the ground near known rat holes or leading sites.

Take a dry maize cob and cut off the ends. Push through it a thick wire, which is one metre long. Make sure the cob can spin freely. Fasten the cob in position in the center of the wire.

Bend the wire as shown and push firmly into the ground on either side of the bucket. Put a depth of 15cm of water in the bucket.

Each evening, coat the corn cob with peanut butter, wetted flour or some other kind of food which will stick to the cob.

Remove drowned rats each morning. The trap works best during the new moon."

[For more information: See Ground Cover, Volume 3, No. 1, 1998]

---

A Better Rat Trap
http://journeytoforever.org/at_rats.html
Website sections:
The rat problem
Traps
Predators
Prevention
Sonic repellents
Disposal
Rats and owls
Chinese rat trap
How to make a Chinese rat trap
Bucket rat trap

---

Rat Zapper 2000
http://www.pestproducts.com/rat_zapper.htm
Electric rat killing device runs on 4 AA batteries.

---

All-metal “mousetrap” style rat trap -like the Victor rat trap but more sanitary and durable because there s no wooden baseplate.
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/rode...pinglethal

---

Pipe Trap
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page1599.html

In Alaska we were having problems with squirrels getting into structures, chewing on sheetrock & wires, and making huge messes in attic spaces so set some of these pipe traps. These traps were highly effective and several times stronger than they actually needed to be for instantly killing any squirrel triggering the mechanism; they should work effectively even for big tough Rattus rattus.

The traps are pieces of stainless steel pipe which (for added safety and target-specificity) can be placed inside crates with holes in the crates just big enough for rats to pass through but filter out and exclude cats, small dogs, and other such non-pest critters. Please be sure any traps --especially these powerful pipe traps-- are placed such that small children cannot get a hand inside! The pipe traps could be placed inside rockpiles or buried underneath planks with holes in them just big enough for rats to pass through but exclude farm animals and pets. Be careful with these, as they will seriously break your hand if you reach inside one while it is cocked. Best to wear leather gloves while cocking them, too.

These traps are humane inasmuch as there is an instant kill and no suffering on the part of the rat- bang! Lights out.

In the YouTube video clip showing how to cock the trap (via link above) a guy keeps sticking his finger down by the trigger where the crossbar could nail it. Not a good idea, imho. Even with gloves on I'd recommend keeping pointing fingers clear of that bar out side the pipe. The trap is more powerful than it looks in this clip. The "bait" he is talking about is a sticky paste of nuts and pecan paste they sell (like pecan pie filling, but more viscous). Globs of the paste will stick to the top of the inside of the pipe trap, right over the plate the animal steps on to set it off; this nonpoisonous bait smells like delicious candy to a human nose even from several feet away so, again, make sure you have the trap isolated inside a crate hinged on one side and padlocked on the other to a piece of plywood or otherwise rigged so little kids cannot get at it. The pecan paste bait would be very attractive to small children as well as to rats.

---

Reducing the rat population is a good idea for all sorts of reasons apart from rat lungworm disease, yet given the ratio of 80% of the rats Dr. Prociv examined being rat lungworm carriers while only 5% of slugs and snails inhabiting the same area were infected with L3, reducing the rat population could significantly lower the overall risk of infection by accidental ingestion of infected slugs and snails. It remains, however, that as Shekelpal points out the semislugs present in Puna may have a far higher rate of infectivity and as Dr. Prociv said even just one heavily infected slug can be huge problem if consumed by a human. Dr. Prociv noted in an autopsy he performed on a toddler who had died of rat lungworm infection that the brain and spinal cord looked like they had cat hair all over them because of the thousands of Angiostrongylus cantonensis L4 and L5 protruding up to 2cm each from the tissue surface -and all these worms may have come from the tot eating just one heavily infected slug. Even in a setting where rat control measures are proving highly effective an infected rat from elsewhere can enter the territory and defecate before being trapped and eliminated, with slugs attracted to eating those infected feces, so combining slug and snail control with rat control would still be better than just one or the other by itself.

Shekelpal, regarding your mention “When the semi slug is tiny, and black in color it is does not carry the nematode, according to some studies. Only as it matures and turns grey which is when it is about 1/2 inch and gets up to its adult size of about 3 inches, is it infected with nematodes” -if you could pleasr PM me with the citations for those studies, or post links to them, then this favor would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------

FAIR USE NOTICE: This post may contain copyrighted material. Such material is made available for educational purposes, to advance understanding of human rights, democracy, scientific, moral, ethical, and social justice issues, etc. This constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A pleasant slideshow: http://www.thejoymovie.com

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

Thank you so much for those posts. One thing to point out, is we aren't dealing with a few cases in a population of 4 million, but 3 severe cases with two in a coma in a population of well under 10,000 down in the lower Puna triangle (maybe more like under 3000?) from Kapoho to Kalapana to Pahoa town (not including Hawaiian Beaches, etc). With the main carrier slug and the nematode increasing in an area with growing population, it is potentially a huge problem. The best article I've seen yet has been in the Big Island Weekly by Barbara Fahs. Our State Health Department is dropping the ball as far as I can tell. They should be alerting the public, restaurants, growers, and clinics informing everyone how to properly clean produce ("wash your produce" is far too vague), and clinics how to presumptively diagnose and not turn people away as they routinely do. In the study of the 04-05 outbreak, 90%+ of actual patients who were admitted to hospitals were not properly diagnosed on release, which meant that only 2 of 27 left the hospital correctly knowing they had it. When that happens, the actual incidence of the disease stays below the radar of both public consciousness and that of public health officials. I spent 15 years working for a county health department and have a public health degree in epidemiology if that means anything. Objectively, this is a much larger problem than health authorities seem to acknowledge, and if it is like most things around here, don't expect it to ever get dealt with properly, even if that means a lot of people dying grisly death with worms eating their brains.

No update on the case I have some familiarity with. Can only hope he'll miraculously pull through.

I for one have yanked out all my lettuce and am cooking everything else veggie wise that I grow. I know raw foodists who are abandoning it after many years. Slug bait is out in the yard with a little cover that keeps it dry but accessible to slugs and I'm washing each leaf of things I do cook.
Is there any research what those infected people had in common?
Poor hygiene,weakened immune system,etc.?