Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th
quote:
Originally posted by ericm

[quote]
Most are not sponsored or produced by SPACE but by outside
groups hiring the space for there own fund raising or other purposes.

Eric,can you tell us more about it?

So MOST OF THE TIME it's not even SPACE activities?

So people next door has to tolerate all crowd related issues not because local kids activity but outside company fundraising?
quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

Would be nice to hear from real people right next door to SPACE.

I live right across the street, as close as anyone.

I moved here because I wanted to be close to SPACE.

I'm not impartial: I like it here! I like having a really good relationship with my neighbors. Saturday morning market is the highlight of my week.

I volunteer my time to SPACE activities on a regular basis. I donate my business' services to auctions and fundraisers. I spend money at the market, and at various classes.

I get a lot in return. No money, though. No one is getting wealthy around here.
I'm going to raise my response up from Graham personally to the subject of local resources. I live 3 blocks away from S.P.A.C.E and so appreciate that there is a local venue that I can walk to for fresh veggies and fruits on Saturday morning and to enjoy a nice homecooked breakfast for a reasonable price. In addition, there are many local artists and producers of unique goods and services there.
The monthly entertainment is enjoyable as well. Not to have to drive 45 minutes to Hilo to enjoy international venues is a joy.

I would be sad to see this community venue shut down because of a community complaint. It seems imperative to raise the mindset up from an US vs. THEM mentality to a realistic approach of local community resources. I hope that the proper permits can be acquired and personal grievances worked out. We are blessed to live on this island and this area and I hope we can move forward with a cohesive community resource.

Aloha, Anna
http://sudnlyaware.wordpress.com
Talk about character assassination... a name and personal email? And your proof is gotten by what methods? Who are you? Shall I expose that?
Part of the problem, as I have stated previously, is that SPACE is not run by the community. Graham Ellis, Terry Way, Gary Hoffeld and the other insiders are NOT the community at large. A community run resource would have far fewer problems than what is occurring now, because it would have input and decision making from all viewpoints. A community center needs to be run by the community, for the community and not benefit one set of people over others. Perhaps it is true that no one profits from SPACE, although anyone who is passingly familiar with the numbers is given reason to question this statement. But even if there is no cash profit seen, there are perks which are enjoyed by insiders alone. One example, though not the only one, is that members and close friends of Belly Acres are not held to the same rules and codes of conduct as anyone else. In fact, there are no rules, except those which are convenient in a moment. The only posted rule is "No Dogs", but this is applied selectively. SPACE management has been reluctant to create policy or rules which all participants are equally held to. If one of their team is insulting or abusive, it is of no consequence, but a complaint of that abuse will have them crying foul. There will be no questioning, no discussion, no mediation, no resolution. That is how problems arise. As long as there is hierarchy and abuse of power, there will be rebellion and discontent. If SPACE is such a wonderful and precious resource that it should be given forgiveness for breaking the law, and additional permits to continue growing, it should be completely relinquished to a new authority; an authority which has no vested interest other than serving every member of the community affected by it and which welcomes anyone who wishes to participate. As long a handful of insiders control SPACE, it will NOT be a true community center, and therefore should not be allowed to present itself as such.
Am I the only one who finds this debate distasteful and confusing? Peregrine - you talk about character assassination and naming people yet do it yourself. That isn't nice.

To all involved in this mess - how about arguing the points without getting personal? I don't live in Seaview but do live in Puna. The arguments are becoming too personal for me to understand the underlying issues, and I would like to understand them.

Tom
Tom, While it is a bit confusing it is also rather enlightening. I can't help but feel that everyone is getting closer to understanding just what is going on.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
No fooling, the poluted air is turning out to be the stink of sour grapes. I just hope one person's bitter agenda doesn't jeapardize all the good that SPACE has to offer the community.

Stoneface
Not knowing SPACE, it sounds to me like perhaps SPACE has outgrown it's location.

This brings to light the fact that Hawaii County government is too lazy, too short sighted, too selfish, to address the lack of proper zoning changes needed to straighten out previous decisions made long ago by it's predecessors. Pathetic.

Dan
Aloha concerned neighbors,
Back to the point. Lets help everyone get as much information about the issue before the community meeting on the 27th. That way everyone interested can give their own best input.

Seaview, Belly Acres, SPACE and most of Puna are all zoned AG 3. This is not a residential community, it is a farming community. This designation allows noise levels of 70 dbs, 24/7. Sometimes the "noise" from space may be a nuisance, but it is not a "noise violation". Nevertheless, we consciously monitor sound levels and keep them well below the permitted limits.

I will bring copies of the county rules to the meeting.

Garry & Cyd
Garry & Cyd