Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inbound missle from N. Korea alert.
Yes if only we had the capable leadership of someone like President Not Sure
MarkD- laughed out loud!!
the only place we can his is our cesspools or maybe a lava tube lol

There is a video on Twitter showing a father sending his keiki down a manhole in Honolulu this morning. The kids don't look too happy. All I thought when watching it was, hey, kids, consider yourselves lucky. In Puna we don't even have sewer drains where we can hide from incoming ballistic missiles.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Like the HPP Home Owners' Association, Hawaii needs adult supervision.
Simple solution:

Seems I recall it takes 2 people turning 2 keys to launch a nuke.

Why not 2 people pushing 2 buttons to announce an incoming nuke?
It brings back the good old day when I used to hide under my desk in grade school.
I first thought the cell phone messages were delivered only to us here in Puna.

Now, that I know that the whole damn State was placed into panic, it infuriates me.

If this false info did not cause serious accidents on the crowded roads of Oahu, it's a miracle.

Bring in the FCC on this one....do more than investigate......people need to lose their jobs.
Someone needs to be FIRED or ARRESTED for this. Agreed?
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

Someone needs to be FIRED or ARRESTED for this. Agreed?

Not just someONE. I can accept that mistakes are made, although this is an area that mistakes should NEVER be made. What bothers me most is that the mistake was probably known within seconds of it happening, yet it took a half hour for the "oops, never mind" announcement to go out. Every single person that knew about the mistake and did not act IMMEDIATELY to alleviate the public's concern should be fired. And charging them with reckless endangering or something equivalent is not a far fetched suggestion.
Here is the timeline from a local media outlet:

Hawaii emergency officials release timeline of false ballistic missile alert
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 3:48 PM PST
Updated: Jan 13, 2018 3:48 PM PST

HONOLULU -
The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency confirmed that there was no ballistic missile threat and there were no computer hacks to the HI-EMA system. The cause of the false alarm was human error.

The following is a synopsis of what occurred:

Approx. 8:05 a.m. – A routine internal test during a shift change was initiated. This was a test that involved the Emergency Alert System, the Wireless Emergency Alert, but no warning sirens.

8:07 a.m. – A warning test was triggered statewide by the State Warning Point, HI-EMA.

8:10 a.m. – State Adjutant Maj. Gen. Joe Logan, validated with the U.S. Pacific Command that there was no missile launch.

Honolulu Police Department notified of the false alarm by HI-EMA.

8:13 a.m. – State Warning Point issues a cancellation of the Civil Danger Warning Message. This would have prevented the initial alert from being rebroadcast to phones that may not have received it yet. For instance, if a phone was not on at 8:07 a.m., if someone was out of range and has since came into cell coverage (Hikers, Mariners, etc.) and/or people getting off a plane.

8:20 a.m. – HI-EMA issues public notification of cancellation via their Facebook and Twitter accounts.

8:24 a.m. – Governor Ige retweets HI-EMA’s cancellation notice.

8:30 a.m. – Governor posts cancellation notification to his Facebook page.

8:45 a.m. – After getting authorization from FEMA Integral Public Alert and Warning System, HI-EMA issued a “Civil Emergency Message” remotely.

The following action was executed by the Emergency Alert System (EAS):

EAS message over Local TV/Radio Audio Broadcast & Television Crawler Banner.

“False Alarm. There is no missile threat to Hawaii.”

“False Alarm. There is no missile threat or danger to the State of Hawaii. Repeat. There is no missile threat or danger to the State of Hawaii. False Alarm.”

Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA)

“False Alarm. There is no missile threat or danger to the State of Hawaii.”

9:30 a.m. – Governor makes initial media notification.

9:34 a.m. – Governor’s message posted to his Facebook and Twitter accounts.

On the recommendations of the HI-EMA Administrator, Vern Miyagi, the Governor has suspended all future drills until HI-EMA has completed a full analysis of the event.

HI-EMA has already instituted a two-person activation/verification rule for tests as well as actual missile launch notifications. A cancellation command that can be done automatically that can be triggered within seconds of an error, has been put in place.

This is the process that HI-EMA is currently reviewing:

Expanding notification processes for Hawaii’s Congressional Delegations, County Mayors, and key staff.
A formal preliminary report of findings and corrective actions will be issued next week.
HI-EMA officials say they understand that false alarms such as this can erode public confidence in our emergency notification systems. They say they understand the serious nature of the warning alert systems and the need to get this right 100 percent of the time.

"I know first-hand how today's false alarm affected all of us here in Hawaii, and I am sorry for the pain and confusion it caused. I, too, am extremely upset about this and am doing everything I can do to immediately improve our emergency management systems, procedures and staffing," said Gov. David Ige.
Slow boat to High-Low