Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD

But indications are that Hawaiians want way more than that. They are still fighting the telescopes and seem intent on issuing edicts for acceptable behavior for the entire mountain top. Both should be resisted.

Exactly.

IMHO, they are still fighting Cook, et al.

The Hawaiians have the same right to their opinions and religion as you or anyone else.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

The Hawaiians have the same right to their opinions and religion as you or anyone else.

Of course they do. They can be as backwards as they want. They can pray to a pile of rocks, or trees, or passing clouds. No questions there.

What they don't morally have, and shouldn't legally have, is the right to throw an endless supply of wrenches into the gears of progress with endless claims of selective, in both time, and geography, sacredness, and then expect that sacredness to be unconstitutionally embodied into the official actions of government.

Suppose the Vatican said the Rocky Mountains, or Vail or Aspen mountain, or Pike's Peak or ML are "Sacred" and then use that claimed "status" as a wrench to disrupt progress.

That, sir, they do NOT have a right to do.

They need to keep their "religion" TO THEMSELVES, and NOT use it as an endless series of WRENCHES to be tossed into the works of progress whenever and wherever it suits their "agenda". They do not have the right to impose their religion, and its various and sundry declarations of "sacredness", on the rest of society, directly (via threats) or indirectly (via government action).

Nobody else does, and nor should they. This is the USA, even if it is Hawaii, and it is high time to acknowledge that fact, Hillbillies in Hula Skirts notwithstanding.

"The Hawaiians" have more rights than most. They are not prosecuted for their illegal activities on State Conservation land ("aloha" checkpoint, TMT "occupation"). Vacant DHHL lands aren't taxable by County. There's others, but nobody really cares.

Maybe someday "the Hawaiians" will try to build something (that "community center" at Makuu comes to mind, if it's not just a scam) and the Haoles can protest the desecration of our sacred Highway 130.
I will add this for you all....

If a Christian tells me there are places in Bethlehem and Jerusalem they consider sacred... I can respect that. If a jewish person tells me the Temple Mount is sacred to them I am fine with that. I can respect it. If a Hawaiian tells me that Mauna Kea is sacred to them that causes me no concerns. I can respect that.

If there is anywhere on this planet that has a history of people of different religions living peacefully together it is here.

Relax. My favorite bumper sticker says: "Don't believe everything you think."

Punaweb moderator
If you think it will end with MK, I feel you are being naive.

As I said in an earlier post, a small area, or an acre or even, perhaps a mile square, and it would be ok, but a whole mountain, and, to make things more insane, on naught but the the strength of their own say-so, is insane. A cemetery, OK, a temple, a wailing wall, something along those lines, no problem, but this is unacceptable exponentially.

I am not inflexible, but reasonable limits, with historic evidence, is about all that can be done to embody religion in government action.

Well, fortunately your opinion on this subject is worth basically nothing. It ain't up to you and won't ever be. Hawaiian crown lands are held in trust by the state.

Punaweb moderator
this is unacceptable exponentially.

snorkel might approve. Ethics with mathematics.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
My whole outlook on it.. go Bob around in the ocean for a month or two.. the whole rock sticking out of the ocean looks pretty good after a while.#The whole island is sacred. #Hawaiinslosttheirroots #thismountainpeakisallwecareabout

No complaints when they built a Walmart, safeway, target, mall on a burial ground.#Iwantsomeathecrapyoursmokin.
I am not inflexible

What'd I say? It's like a Gary Larson cartoon. Remember the one where the cows are all standing around in a field, standing vertically, smoking cigarettes, with one cow on the top of a rise keeping lookout for a possible human that might drive by so as to be able to hide the smokes and get down on all fours as would be expected..