Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threat to Pahoa?!
The Star-Bulletin map projection makes it all a bit more chillingly real. Does anyone know a good expensive brand of gin, or specifically what is Pele's favorite? The reality is, the only reason we were able to realize our dream of a place in Hawai'i is due to the lower prices of living with lava. I accept that. Nevertheless...it would be crushing to lose what I just gained, or to not be able to live there because of the access problem. So... a little kvetch in front ("get it over with"Wink and then take a wait-and-see-what-Pele-wants-to-do attitude. I appreciate all the information, links, and airing out in this forum.
Aloha, Maud. Bombay Sapphire gin is considered to be an extra-premium product, but I am sure whatever you can reasonably afford would be welcomed. Just be sure to offer the gin and carry the empty bottle to somewhere appropriate for disposal/recycling. I have been told that Madame does not like rubbish left in her home.

Cheers,
Jerry

quote:

All of those North of the flow will have the same commute they always have, and not 120 miles. It is not 36 miles from my house to Hilo. It is 17 miles. So, the article should say something like "Those in the Kehena area, for example, would have a much longer commute....".

By the way, is it really 125 miles from the bottom of Chain of Craters road to Hilo? I thought it was more like 45.

Later on, it becomes clear that the 36 miles and 125 miles are round-trip not one-way figures.

ArtM
Kapohocat, re: your Hawaiian Acres friend "said that a few weeks ago her pond was "bubbling" - big plopping bubbles not jacuzzi kind - it lasted a few hours till the pond was covered (about 30' diameter) with "foam-like" substance. She thought it odd but didnt notify anyone - having lived up there many many years she just figured it was gas escaping from a tube" -- those are the kinds of observations that should at least be conveyed to HVO and mentioned on blogs like this. That's how we're gonna find out where the eruption is going...people are gonna see signs like that.
Did you see Sunday's HVO column in the Trib? It was about reticulite, which is volcanic effluent that looked like irregular shaped pieces of dirty styrofoam when it fell in Nanawale Est. during the early high-fountaining phases of this eruption.

Did your friend save any of the "foam-like" substance? Did it look like dirty styrofoam? If so, it could have been reticulite, bubbling up in Hwn Acres. I seem to remember residents reporting some small fuming happening in Orchidland early in the 1977 Kalapana eruption.

There are going to be a variety of natural signals of the volcanic activity as (if) it moves downrift and they're going to be happening in people's farms, ranches, yards.

Maybe we should ask Jim Kauahikaua what are some of the natural phenomenon that might occur and that should be reported to HVO if it happens on our property.

Today's Kilauea Status Report mentions 'Just before dawn today, a breakout occurred directly at the vent, sending a small flow to the south. We're watching this one.'

Wouldn't that be great if this new breakout would send all new lava southward towards the ocean again. Let's hope for the best and use our collective thinking for a positive outcome here and try to stop thinking about worst case scenerios.

http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/kilaueastatus.php
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
South, south, south!!!

Join in the chant!!!

Bustle!!! Bustle!!! (Sorry, obscure Nitzer Ebb reference...)
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.
South! South! South! South! South!!

"How do you know i am mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the cat "or you wouldnt have come here."
Kalapana chant: "East, East, East"

Kalapana chant, souther, souther, souther, turn right, turn right.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cam3/

This mornings web cam is very colorful, beautiful actually, and in reality somewhat ominous. The birthing of the island, just one of the acts of nature that draw me to Hawaii.

Perhaps we should all have wheels on our houses, in the future. Geological and human time frames sometimes collide. So I'll be putting a prayer on the breeze, for the seamount Loihi to pick up the duty of rebirth.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
New map (9/11/07) shows active flow possibly southbound. Keep up the chanting!

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/ar...0911_L.jpg
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison