Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superferry Pros and Cons...
The ferry system will wind up refunding all 19,000 ticket holders when the injunction is filed tomorrow. There is a Hawaii state law that forbids business from operating while an envirormental impact study is being conducted (which can take years). And since the high court unaminously agreed that the state should have done one before the ferry was allowed to proceed, they will undoubtedly be forced to close down the harbor area to the ferry. What Im wondering is what happens to peoples vehicles that were transported today if they are forced to shut down tomorrow?

I think Matson and Young Bros. both have the ability to transport vehicles interisland, and would be used, probably at HSF's expense.

Is the EIS required for the "Ferry" operation or is it required for the "terminal" operation?

O.K., I found the actual Hawaii Supreme Court ruling. If I read it correct, and please correct me if I'm wrong, this only applies to the ferry terminal construction and not anything to do with the SuperFerry, itself, operating. So, if the HSF was to use existing facilites (passenger ship terminal or cargo terminal) that are not in dispute, they can still operate. Is this the correct interpretation?

Edited by - Bob Orts on 08/26/2007 15:27:29
I believe it has more to do more with the introduction of alien species, "the possible" migratory whale disruption and the concern of underwater habitats and well as traffic concerns.

I hear everyone talking invasive species, whales, underwater habitat, but all I could find in both the 2nd Circuit Court and Supreme Court documents is:
"Must the state Department of Transportation conduct an environmental assessment of improvements at Kahului Harbor on Maui?"

If the condition of the harbor is their only concern, then the invasive species and the migration of the whales stands to lose big time...I don't get it.

Carrie

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it." Bob Newhart

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
The Court did not say specifically what the concerns were, just the blanket ruling.

There are numerous experts from the individual islands Invasive Species committee as well as Humpback Whale experts on the Superferry Advisory board. Are we to assume these individuals did not sign off on the project ?

Not exactly sure how you doubt the experts when it comes to the Superferry, but do not doubt them on a regularly basis as they perform their jobs day to day ?

Greg

Looks like the Superferry has to immediately suspend service to Maui only. The injuction was approved by the Maui circit court judge this morning. Maybe they can double up on their trips to Kauai or even start service to the big island that was planned for 2009 to take up the slack.

I would be extremely surprised if HSF will be able start service to Kawaihae by 2009. As it stands now, a new pier will have to be constructed at Kawaihae to accommodate the HSF. The pier that HSF was going to be using,Pier 1 (which got severely damaged in the October earthquake) has necessitated a new pier to be built on the Ka'u side of the harbor. The 2008 STIP has a map of the proposed pier location.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/stp/stip/b...state-proj.pdf

Edited by - Aaron S on 08/27/2007 17:27:58

Edited by - Aaron S on 08/27/2007 17:28:23
Here's what I think...
I think the HSF should come to Hilo instead of Kawaihae.
I think if HSF has to do an EIS than so should Matson, Young Brothers and the Cruise Industry.
You can't make a rule for HSF and exclude everyone else.
I think we ought to obstruct the obstructionists!

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman
"Vote with your money!"