Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York Pizza in Pahoa?
Okay, I grew up in New York and was a pretty huge pizza fanatic as a youngster. Just what is New York Stlye Pizza anyway? Every store had a different slant. There was a place in Yonkers that did an amazng two crust pie and a place in Lynbrook, LI (Garbarinos)that had an incredible puffy crust. The last time I was in NY I broke my diet to try pizza and in Manhattan couldn't find anything worthy at all. As far as I know the only real differentiation is between NY-style (flat) and Chicago-style (deep dish). So the main thing is a flat-style pie with a somewhat puffy crust and good, homemade sauce and high-quailty cheese. If you see cans of sauce and packs of lousy cheese, that's not going to be good pizza. Other than that, it becomes a matter of personal taste. Oh yeah, the dough should be tossed, not rolled. The worst pizza I've had on the mainland would be the Boston or Greek style. This is a small, greasy pie with thick sauce and lousy cheese.
I am off dairy and gluten..... I guess all I can add to this conversation is to point out how much the Yankees suck.
quote:
Originally posted by jackson

Okay, I grew up in New York and was a pretty huge pizza fanatic as a youngster. Just what is New York Stlye Pizza anyway? Every store had a different slant. There was a place in Yonkers that did an amazng two crust pie and a place in Lynbrook, LI (Garbarinos)that had an incredible puffy crust. The last time I was in NY I broke my diet to try pizza and in Manhattan couldn't find anything worthy at all. As far as I know the only real differentiation is between NY-style (flat) and Chicago-style (deep dish). So the main thing is a flat-style pie with a somewhat puffy crust and good, homemade sauce and high-quailty cheese. If you see cans of sauce and packs of lousy cheese, that's not going to be good pizza. Other than that, it becomes a matter of personal taste. Oh yeah, the dough should be tossed, not rolled. The worst pizza I've had on the mainland would be the Boston or Greek style. This is a small, greasy pie with thick sauce and lousy cheese.

homemade sauce and high-quailty cheese. NUFF Said
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
Gotta go to Jersey now ! ... but " N.J. Pizza " neva' gon work.

Tried NYP (Pahoa) ... That minuscola thing for 2.50 was not big enough for me to tell how it was.

aloha,
pog
quote:
Originally posted by jackson

OMG....Garbarinos in Lynbrook....what a blast from my past!! It was in a house..right? I remember going with my folks for a sit down meal.

Over here, I have given up on pizza. Have one, maybe two slices a year, and that is usually at Costco. That's it. Just not the same as Long Island where I grew up.
Gotta say it ... You Right Coasters choking down what Costco says is Pizza have truly lost the will to live : )

aloha,
pog
That's crazy, Loretta!!! Yes, it was in a house on the south side of Merrick Rd, i think. Their pizza was amazing and the lasanga, served in those green deep dishes, was perfect. The pizza had that slightly burned puffy crust and so flat and tasty on the pie. Just shows ya, no matta where ya go there's someone from Lon Gisland. Are you from Lynbrook?
jackson, I was born and raised in East Rockaway and lived right on the Lynbrook border just south of Sunrise Hwy. GABbarinos (never pronounced that first "r") was where we went for lasagna. It was kind of a special occassion place and I can still remember the garlic smell that wafted into the parking lot.

We always got our take-out pizza pies (never referred to as pizzas) from DiCandia's on Atlantic Ave. (?) in Lynbrook. So, are you from that area also?
WHATEVER. The pizza I grew up on in Buffalo with a side of wings was the best ever. Sorrento Cheese is FROM Buffalo and it rocks.

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
It has been many, many years Loretta. I have not been on LI since the 1960s but yes, my original family is from there. Lynbrook, RVC, Manhattan, Brooklyn. I never thought I'd run into anyone who remembered Garbarinos. The lasagna was amazing. It was a special occasion place for us as well. The choice between pizza and lasagna for an eight-year-old was torturous, but the lasagna always seemed to win. There were still plenty of farms in those days and I think they used all local ingredients and made their own pasta as well. I had forgotten about the smell, but you brought it right back to me.