Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight for Non-GMO Foods and Proper GMO Labeling

If I want a tomato I want a tomato, not a tomatog (a tomato genetically modified with frog genes as example). But if I want a tomatog, I should be able to get one if its available. But I should be able to know what I am getting.

Would a tomatog resist Puna rains?? j/k [Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin]

I dont mean to make light of this situation by the tomatog reference. But we need to take personal responsibility. Dont buy it. This discussion and other forums has prompted me to prepare to grow much more of my own fruits and vegetables as I find heirloom seeds, and not have to rely on a government agency to protect me. Cuz they do a piss-poor job of it with everything else.

Continue/escalate the "buy / eat local" movement.

Obie, why do you assume it would raise the cost? And if so, wouldn't the cost be worth it to discourage the use of GMOs? If anything, I think it would tend to lower costs in GMO foods.

Kapoho Cat, I didn't think you were making light, it's a prime example of the Frankenstein crap they pull. Here in Hawaii it would be the Tomatoqui...

It seems to me that people get really upset when the subject of "What they think they know" gets shaken. This applies to every level. Religion, Science, Politics, Food, Shelter, Nature, etc. People want to believe that a tomato is a tomato and that the government wouldn't allow it's people to be poisoned and that there isn't a corporate machine out there slowly (actually, quite rapidly) altering and threatening our entire food supply solely for their own profit and control. In the midst of a personal crisis like that, instead of coming to grips with it right away, we fight the knowledge. We lash out against the information, as well as those sharing the information, instead of taking the heavy steps to come to terms with a gruesome truth, or even the possibility that what we "know" may be false. It's not easy for anyone and it makes sense that many people hold on past a point of reason.

In the Monsanto case, the cat is out of the bag. Too many people know, entire countries are aware and have boycotted. Ranting and raving and calling everyone else crazy seems to relate to that scenario of holding on past the point of reason.

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
"In the Monsanto case, the cat is out of the bag. Too many people know, entire countries are aware and have boycotted. Ranting and raving and calling everyone else crazy seems to relate to that scenario of holding on past the point of reason."

Really !!

It's you people who oppose Roundup who are doing all of the ranting and raving.I am trying to point out that most of our food is already GM.I spend my summers in Ohio and I can guarantee you that all of the corn grown in this State is GM.The farmers have signs posted along the roads next to their fields proclaiming what variety of GM corn they are growing!

I don't understand why it needs to be labeled ?

If you are not growing your own food,then you can assume it is GM.

I raise the most delicious tomatoes you can imagine.They are GM.After years and years of having crop failures and using all kinds of chemicals I have found the perfect GM tomato.
I agree with you, Obie, that pretty much everything on a typical grocery store shelf is inundated with the stuff. Sadly. And I didn't see that you were ranting and raving, nor calling anyone crazy Wink Only a small part of my post was directed at you, that of wondering why you assume it would raise prices to label GMO foods.

I haven't done my research on RoundUp, I don't use it, and I prefer it not be used on my food. That said, I don't expect it to be the case if I eat out or buy from standard grocery store shelves, that it wouldn't have that somewhere in the chain. However, I do think that a standard should be adapted to have to label it in grocery stores so that there can be both options for people. Those who don't care can eat the cheaper, gmo stuff. Those who have concerns don't have to. It's simple, why fight that?

Why support a company that creates terminator genes in their crops, crops that can cross-pollinate, thereby threatening the entire plant genus? Or support genetics from other species being brought into food? It's diabolical stuff to me, outright, plain and simple. If people want to experiment, fine, but why are we allowing those experiments into the world's food supply? How did that even happen?

Melissa Fletcher
Now I'm a bully? You're the one who brought up Ron Paul, you quote him in every post.
How is asking about him "bullying"? He's still against labeling, by the way.

YurtGirl, as I've said before, I have nothing at all to do with Monsanto or the GM industry and neither does anyone that I know.
I am on the side of science and rationality, not scaremongering. Monsanto is a publicly listed company, it is not KAOS!
This hysteria is just ridiculous.

So far it seems the people who are for GM labeling are also the ones who live in fear of SmartMeters, and believe in remote healing,
and insist there's a "911 Truth" that people need to know about. Not a good look.
RE: Ranting and Raving... I haven't seen anyone here that is anti Monsanto or GMO get off track on a rant about distance healing or who someone is voting for. That was my point. I don't consider people ranting and raving if they are sharing knowledge, concerns and discussing very real issues.

Melissa Fletcher
"Why support a company that creates terminator genes in their crops, crops that can cross-pollinate, thereby threatening the entire plant genus?"

So, if they insert a terminator gene, they're evil.
On the other hand, if they don't use that gene, then they're guilty of cross-pollination, so they're again evil.

You can't win against the illogical.
And PaulW, it's not a 'good look' to try to pigeon hole everyone into a stereotype either. I'm not into the 911 conspiracy theory nor the fuss about smart meters. And MANY who are concerned are not either.

No one here is in the throws of hysteria (which isn't even a real thing btw... floating uterus'. Uh huh. Another way people have tried to unhinge valid arguments throughout the ages. "Women can't be trusted, they get Hysteria! They go crazy when their uterus' detach and start floating around their bodies").

If you are for Science and Logic, then stick to those tactics and leave out gross stereotyping, bashing people's personal beliefs, and ridiculing their political convictions. Easy peasy.

Melissa Fletcher
THEY STILL CROSS POLLINATE WITH THE TERMINATOR GENE. Then they destroy the sustainability of other people's crops. What do you not get here? And why do you insist on calling everyone but yourself illogical?

Melissa Fletcher
YurtGirl, you do seem to be saner than the average anti-GMer (though I'm still unsure why asking someone about a candidate that they quote in every single post is equal to ridicule).

Let me ask you: Are you for or against the terminator gene being placed in some GM crops?