Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heads UP! - Here Comes Flossie
Hawaiian Shores- no wind, no rain, YET. I think the heavy rain will begin in the next couple of hours.

Just heard on the news- All Big Island public schools closed tomorrow- charter schools need to check with school.

Stay dry.

Thanks for the pictures Cat. I've been to the ponds and these roads. The pictures tell an amazing story. Hope the storm is letting up now, I think that is quite enough water out of bounds!

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I think its time to call flossie a dud! and to ask why it is that our government is so wound up that they would cause so much hype? preparedness is one thing.. what we got was a whole lot more noise than that! the guy on the 6 oclock news had to laugh when he said 'so far the wind hasnt gotten above 10mph in hilo'
We were just this moment having this same discussion. The conclusion was that the shear ripped the storm apart or we would have in seasidebob vocabulary "gotten our okoles kicked". The dry line pulled most of the moisture out of flossie. But he also told me that it would be blowing like stink where those two are meeting up.
Wow, thanks for the photos! Doesn't look too bad so far. Flossie can stop now, though... (hint, hint)

Question... so only home/property owners can be down there now? Civil defense / cops keeping others out? Are they going to be down there all night?

All our best wishes are with you guys who live there or in other low-lying places.
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.
They say it's better to be safe than sorry, but it looks way over-hyped to me. The news media are the worst. I had to laugh when the guy from KITV had driven from one end of the south coast to the other without finding anything dramatic to show. The government is just lazy, giving all their workers another day off tomorrow and keeping the schools closed for nothing to boot. Of course if they had minimized it and it turned out to be a monster, I would be outraged like everybody else. LOL.

quote:
Question... so only home/property owners can be down there now? Civil defense / cops keeping others out? Are they going to be down there all night?...

They are trying to stem the flow but really they are stopping no one at Red Road. They are stopping car traffic across Waiopae. (DUH!) We went through before the high tide with 33's on the truck, and the only one who got through after us was the fire truck. We specifically went down there long enough before high tide so we knew we could safely get through. We went back on our bicycles later on.

Edited by - kapohocat on 08/14/2007 18:48:27
Pretty uneventful up here in Mountain View all day, according to our rain gage we've gotten 3/4 of an inch. It's been dark and drizzly with no wind. No news is good news. SmileAngela

My neighbor just told me that on one of the TV local weather reports, they said that heavy rain is supposed to start after 10:00 tonight. She said the image that they displayed showed an arm of the storm just offshore. It sounded like it was a water vapor image that was in gray, not the enhanced colored one. Oh well, we'll see...
Well, I don't know what forecasters really "do" these days, other than repeat what the computer tells them. And the computers were totally wrong about this one. It was supposed to die down way before it got here, and last night it looked like a Cat-4 was headed straight for us. I went to bed last night thinking, "oh crap." I can't help but believe there is very a unique air pressure phenomenon here at the Big Island (i.e., 2x Big Huge Mountains ™ sticking up in clouds messing up hurricanes) that is not accounted for at all in the computer models. Whatever it is, it's good for us.

Of course, we can't turn our back on Flossie just yet. She is still here, technically, with the ability to harm us yet. So keep one eye on her... she is a strange one.
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.