Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow?
Carol, mahalo for your opinion in this. It's a tough call (as of this hour, it is being discussed).

Pahoa town is much like Hilo town was in those days. I have my own personal opinion on this, but wanted some sense of what others think, feel, and believe is the right thing to do.

When this story about diversion was told to me (at a very young age), there were mixed opinions in our own house. Jaggar was an "icon" of sorts. The kanaka maoli side, not so much.

In reflection, kupuna know best. This may become a complete cleansing of Puna. Simply speaking, the elements (the wind, the rain, the ocean, and the lava) have dictated. All we can do is react.

FWIW. JMO. Be safe, amongst all else.
I agree with Carol...

Can't mess with mother nature. It's going to do what it wants to do regardless what man (thinks) is right.

Granted bombing could work THIS time, but what about next time? Personally, I think it would make it worse. Tho, if the choice came and the people voted for it to happen it would be interesting to watch and see if had any effect. Might be an interesting September/October here on Puna side.

I just cleaned up a massive albizia tree that landed in my back yard. Just got done filling up all the puka's that it left when it smashed into the ground. Maybe I can mow my lawn soon! Big Grin Point is, I can't imagine Lava coming into my backyard. Have you seen my D9?

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
quote:
Originally posted by opihikao

Great information, bananahead, and all. Historically, this is quite interesting. As we watch this event, what do you all think about diversion? I'm wondering if this is part of the current discussion. JMO.

(*Snipped - More at link)

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/arch...11_28.html

The 1935 lavas can be easily identified as the black flow surrounding Pu`u Huluhulu on the Saddle Road opposite the Mauna Kea access road. This eruption also marks the first attempt at altering the course of a Hawaiian eruption, through the use of explosives.

Eventually the lava turned to follow the natural drainage toward Hilo, instigating a crisis. On December 26, the flow was moving 1.6 km per day (1 mile per day), and at that rate scientists calculated the flows would reach Kaumana Road by January 9 (disrupting mochi-pounding parties). A suggestion to bomb the eruption was made. The U.S. Army Officer who planned the bombing operation was then Lt. Colonel George S. Patton, who would go on to WWII fame.

On December 27, U.S. Army planes dropped bombs, targeting the lava channels and tubes just below the vents at 2,600 m (8,600 ft). The object was to divert the flow near its source. The results of the bombing was declared a success by Thomas A. Jaggar, Director of the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.

Jagger wrote that "the violent release of lava, of gas and of hydrostatic pressures at the source robbed the lower flow of its substance, and of its heat." The lava stopped flowing on January 2, 1936. The efficacy of this lava bombing is disputed by some volcanologists, and lava diversion will be the subject of a future Volcano Watch.

Great info! I often wondered about this story, and typically only shared what I have learned from other guides, which is usually very inaccurate. Supposedly, from the cultural perspective, there is a story about Hawaiian practitioners/kupuna at the time warning about Pele's retaliation for the bombings. She would supposedly kill anybody involved in the bombings with a fiery death. Supposedly one of the Pilots actually did die in a plane crash later on.

Anybody know about the origins or documentation of this story?

“What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
“What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thanks, pahoated, for that new information. She's moving fast!

Update: New video from meeting

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2014/0...lava-flow/

Part 3 very informative for those who did not attend.

JMO.
I just managed to find and view Part 2, and the interesting part of it for me, was that the "expert" was discussing the SO4 (maybe I have that gas wrong)- and that the amount has doubled since June 27th - and this probably corresponds to increased volume of lava coming out of Puu Oo. So, in other words, if we watch that gas measurement that is put out daily, it might indicate whether the flow was increasing or decreasing.
The one bit of good news was at the meeting last night he mentioned while the rate has been 600-900 feet per day, it had only advanced 300 feet yesterday. People were concerned of course that if it is going 900 feet a day with 9000 feet to hit the first farm, evacuation could come in 10 days or less.
The thing I found most confusing, is that I think it was going that fast while being funneled within that crack, but the expert was saying "it goes slower while traveling through the crack". So, I guess we will also figure this out, since now it's in another crack again.
I thought Dr. Jim said it was advancing approx. 100 ft./day.
My rough figures show that over the past 3 weeks it has advanced approx. 3 miles or 700 ft/day. Anyone else see this?
Yes, he says 100, but from what I could figure, it seems faster than this. For instance, the movement from yesterday's report , -to today's report is .1km- which is 328 ft.
Update: Farmers and Ranchers Meet with Civil Defense

(*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/26388...ava-threat

PUNA, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Darryl Oliveira, the director of Hawaii County Civil Defense, met with Puna community leaders and representatives of area farmers and ranchers who have a substantial amount of livestock that would need to be relocated if the lava flow continues to head their way.

Scientists with the U.S. Geological Survey say the flow, which started on June 27, is not slowing. They say the lava is less than two miles away from the perimeter of the Kaohe Homestead subdivision. According to Oliveira, who just completed an aerial assessment, there's no real evidence of any forward progress of the lava flow on the surface -- but he says it's difficult to know with any certainty how far it's moving underground or how deep it is. "We're stressing there isn't an imminent or immediate threat, but it's something they should be aware of and monitor the situation," Oliveira said, adding civil defense radio updates will start daily beginning today.

He cautions he doesn't want people to get complacent, but says Puna residents have overwhelmingly requested more frequent updates during community meetings this past week.

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 28 at 6:30 p.m. at Pahoa Community Center. HNN's Mileka Lincoln will be LIVE from the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory tonight on Hawaii News Now at 5 and 6 pm, with the very latest.