Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County offer?
Gypsy there is another thread here talking about the lava flow heading towards the sea. This is big good news for real estate values. It is my prediction that Leilani will see an uptick in home values especially the more economical ones.

Your home may go up in value this year.

County money on the other hand may depress values if they turn around and auction houses at a loss.

In your shoes I would be objecting to county money if that is what they intend to do.

Find out how many homes they plan to buy.

Also if I was in your shoes I would accept rejoice in the fact that the geothermal plant produces far less noise and pollution then the levels that most of the world live with.

Last year giant clouds of smoke from Indonesia came North into the Philippines. I am living aboard my sailboat and cannot simply close windows and turn on AC. Each morning my eyes were like crusted shut from smoke coming from hundreds of miles away. Imagine what it was like from people in Indonesia and neighboring Malaysia.

PS. I sold this year. It took nearly a year to find a buyer. Buyers in my price range wanted homes on larger parcels. Mine was on just a 1/2 acre. So I had to drop price below cost.

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Yes it appears sales are up and so is the price of homes in Puna. Also if your house is permitted and finalled I'm assuming that will be giving extra added value since it is now legally precarious to live in an unpermitted dwelling.
Does this offer have a window? Do you have to claim in within a certain time frame? Just wondering more about how the whole process works. Is it a County check you get or an Ormat check? Congratulations Gypsy, I know this is something you have wanted for a long time.
PbMaise, Thank you for the encouraging reply filled with great advice. Congrats to you for selling your home and half acre. Was it the one on Oliana rd near kahena beach? I enjoyed spending a few years of my youth on that beautiful lot, 5-8 guaranteed hot hours a day.

To update the county offer process, I did go to the county planning dept today to ask a few questions and see if they would be willing to negotiate? The folks working in the county planning dept were very helpful and I walked out feeling much better than before walking in. My family and i have a lot to think about or discuss before going back into the planning dept sometime next week.

P.S. PbMaise, To answer your question. I believe 20+ homes from the relocation list have received a county buyout offer recently. Most are rejecting the offer or simply not replying to it. Maybe it's to low of an offer in most cases being only 100% of the 2014 assessed value this time around,jmo. We are hoping those possible rejections or non replies may leave a negotiation window open for us as we try to move forward in this process.

"P.S. PbMaise, To answer your question. I believe 20+ homes from the relocation list have received a county buyout offer recently. Most are rejecting the offer or simply not replying to it. Maybe it's to low of an offer in most cases being only 100% of the 2014 assessed value this time around,jmo. We are hoping those possible rejections or non replies may leave a negotiation window open for us as we try to move forward in this process."

That really says quite a lot. What's the priority, money or a perceived threat to health?
@kapohojoe - The check will will be from the County, from the Relocation Fund, which is fully funded by Ormat. However, Ormat's funding comes directly from us electricity customers, not some freebie from a terrible corporation. In a sense, we are all paying the buyouts in the form of higher electricity rates.
As the way it stands now, anyone can go and buy an empty lot within the 1 mile zone around pgv, put up a house and then file for 'relocation assistance'. At this point in the pgv saga, can't we all agree that it's not hiding? It's a major power plant, you cannot tell me that you were surprised when you moved in and discovered it. Why not close the relocation list to homes bought after 2016, require a real estate disclosure for every property within 5 miles of pgv and just call it a day? There are hundreds of empty lots in the 1 mile zone around pgv, this little loophole could potentially be abused for years to come. Meanwhile more money leaks out of the fund, taking money off the table for future studies or heaven forbid some community projects that benefit us all. Something stinks over there and it ain't just the sulphur!

EDITED TO CHANGE BUILT TO BOUGHT.
I would close the relo list to anyone that bought a house after 2000, maybe even way before that, forgetting about when it was built.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

"P.S. PbMaise, To answer your question. I believe 20+ homes from the relocation list have received a county buyout offer recently. Most are rejecting the offer or simply not replying to it. Maybe it's to low of an offer in most cases being only 100% of the 2014 assessed value this time around,jmo. We are hoping those possible rejections or non replies may leave a negotiation window open for us as we try to move forward in this process."

That really says quite a lot. What's the priority, money or a perceived threat to health?

Tom, I'm beginning to believe that it's neither. I think our friend gypsy is a drama queen - why all these trolling posts on whatever happens to be the topic of the day? The persistent milking of the ROD and trying to tie it to geothermal? Attending the TMT hearing and claiming to have spoken with some old folks opposed to the telescope? His son going to University of Princeton? (for those unfamiliar with east coast schools, there is no such institution: there is a Princeton University, but in more than 50 years of familiarity with that school, I've never heard it referred to as the University of Princeton. To claim that your child is attending Princeton on a full ride and you don't even know its proper name, defies belief..).

What I haven't yet figured out is whether gyp is a very, very clever PhD candidate in socio-political science who's playing Puna Web like a cheap ukulele to produce a dissertation, of if he (she?) is a seriously benighted, neurotic individual who lives for the attention (s)he gets from posts on this and maybe a host of other forums.

In either case, I'm betting that, in this episode of the soap opera, (s)he won't take the county offer, either because there isn't one, or because (s)he couldn't possibly give up the attention/dissertation fodder that these posts bring.

Post Script: "Community Reactions to an Evolving Technological and Cultural Environment: A Spectral Analysis of Online Forum Postings" would make a great title for a dissertation....
this little loophole could potentially be abused for years to come.

It was set up to be abused. The effects of the PGV plant are the 21st century equivalent of witchcraft in the 16th century. It can't be proven, but it can't be entirely dis-proven either. The county doesn't want to take a chance that PGV effects might be real, so they burn a few witches taxpayers just to be on the safe side.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves