Thanks tom 4 giving us a place to get up 2 the minute local facts
Hpp nhw getting 2 gether 2 moro am 2 have civ def give up w date info
And tell us how we can help our neighbors in leilani
Aloha

Dan D
HPP

HPP
OK live coverage now on HNN (Ch 1008).
ETA: NEVER MIND. They signed off and resumed showing "Hot Bench".
Another aftershock just now just shook the house again
KHON news just said that the 7.0 earthquake was felt as far away as Kauai. And strongly felt in Honolulu!
I felt that one all the way at hapuna, the whole building felt like it was made of jello.. I can’t imagine what that would have felt like ground zero!
We were at Walmart when the first hit. Knocked a lot of stuff off shelves. Safeway had some minor damage. As we drove home the second hit. Very strange experience. It’s like you had no control over the car. Of course it hit when we were on 11 going 55!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by Mimosa

Air quake seems like thunder but alas TomK and Royall gave us a better understanding of our lack of knowledge in which we are for ever grateful.The hard drive between the ears always has more room for facts and knowledge.
Mrs.Mimosa

You are a greater genius than I, Mimosa! I couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

"Earthquake depths are calculated relative to the WGS84 geoid, mean sea-level, or the average elevation of the seismic stations which provided arrival-time data for the earthquake location. The choice of reference depth is dependent on the method used to locate the earthquake, which varies by seismic network. NEIC currently uses the reference geoid called WGS84, but since ComCat includes data from many different seismic networks, the process for determining the depth is different for different events. The depth is the least-constrained parameter in the earthquake location, and the error bars are generally larger than the variation due to different depth determination methods."

I, too, have much to learn.

(Used to be, you had to pay a quarter at certain h/motels to get your bed to shake.)

Cheers,
Kirt
Here's another earthquake tracker. It seems to get updated pretty quickly. The interesting thing is that it tracks every earthquake over 3.0 on the planet, and Hawaii is DOMINATING the tracker.

https://www.earthquaketrack.com/
Kirt - I'll put it a different way. Measuring the depth of an earthquake is difficult and scientists use various models to figure it out, but the results can be dodgy with large errors. Put those numbers into a computer and you end up with a result that's as good (or bad) as the data you entered.

For example, when an earthquake is shallow, that data can say the earthquake occurred above the ground (which is nonsense of course), but if you look at the data and the error, you'll see it might have occurred between 1.2 miles above the ground to 0.8 miles underground (I'm assuming an error of +/- one mile). After reviewing the data, the scientist will say, well, it likely occurred at a depth of 0.4 miles +/- 0.4 miles, as it can't occur above the surface, and the data suggest it didn't occur below 0.8 miles.
Haven't they just been getting stronger and stronger? I hope this increasing earthquake magnitude thing isn't a trend day by day.