Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Environmentalists Terminate Hamakua Dairy
The craziest thing about "illegal" milk is how illegal it is. For example, it's illegal to sell raw goat's milk if the intended consumer is a baby goat. The bureaucrats would prefer the animal to drink a concoction made from a powder that results in life-long health problems in the majority of animals that consume it.
it's illegal to sell raw goat's milk if the intended consumer is a baby goat.

On the farm while milking cows, cats would sometimes gather nearby hoping for a drink of milk. After a little practice we could squeeze directly from cow to cat.
If caught in the act these days, it might not just be considered illegal, but abusive if we missed the cat's mouth. Probably could get locked up for having cats in the barn too.

"I want great climate, we’re going to have that.” President Donald J. Trump, while viewing the massive wildfire devastation 11/17/18. (The J stands for Jenius)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"The bureaucrats would prefer...." They're not happy unless they've banned something new every day.

ETA: Here's a very good 30 second clip from Joe Rogan and hunting advocate Steve Rinella discussing the issue of feral pigs harming Hawaii's ecosystem. (Some regulators wanted the pigs eliminated.)

It might a little off in the science: Hawaiians brought feral pigs to Hawaii, but the large size of many of today's pigs (which do much damage to forests) might be linked to subsequent introductions of larger species of pigs from the mainland.

See 2.32.15

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/steven-rinella-6

This mainland twit doesn't know what he's talking about. The Hawaiians' pigs never got into the forest; they roamed around on their own somewhat but stayed close to human settlements because there wasn't enough food before European visitors introduced earthworms and fruits like guava. And no "regulators" want to eliminate pigs. They want to keep them out of certain areas where some of the last native Hawaiian plants and animals live. But no, the hunters can't stand to have even a 10 acre fragment of a 2000 acre forest reserve fenced, every last bit has to be available for the pigs to tear up.
MarkP: However I recall reading that more recently the 1500 years ago date was cast into doubt. More refined radio carbon dating suggests a more recent date of only 900 years ago.

Yes, the early dates were only a few and they seem to be contaminated; all the solid dates are after about 1000 CE. That also aligns with data from Makauwahi cave sediments on Kauai, where rat bones, charcoal from fires, and other signs of human activity show up all at once around that same time.

That said, the Hawaiian language is more closely related to Marquesan than Tahitian. So if there were two waves of settlement, with the second from Tahiti bringing the alii and kapu system around 1200, they were much closer in time than previously thought. The story that the Tahitians enslaved/wiped out the Marquesan settlers of Hawaii seems to be a twisted merging of the story of the menehune with the story of the origin of the alii, that is widespread on the internet but doesn't seem to have any real grounds in either oral history or scholarship.
Here’s something I didn’t know about mainland milk:

Mainland milk, which now accounts for about 90 percent of what’s sold in Hawaii, spends about seven days on a ship in unrefrigerated containers. By the time it reaches the islands, federal regulation mandates it be pasteurized again before going onto shelves.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/12/once-t...xtinction/

The entire article is worth reading, did you know Hawaii once had 160 dairy farms?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thanks for that. Yes, very interesting. As were the comments to the piece.
Humans are the only animals that drink other animals milk on a regular basis.
I'd rather eat my 'milk' salamat kta back section.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimosa

Humans are the only animals that drink other animals milk on a regular basis.

Another example of our superiority over mere beasts.

Speaking Truth to Lies / Facts to Ignorance