Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Airport Delays
(01-18-2024, 07:19 AM)TomK Wrote: That would be bad as well. But it would be just fine if the airport had spare engines on standby with all the staff needed to replace the engine, fix the runway, and fly the plane. You can imagine the chaos if the spare parts dept didn't have a spare baggage scanner on hand as well in case one of them broke down at the same time.

I have no idea who is claiming there should be spare jet engines and staff needed to replace those jet engines, but I do find it interesting that crews AND equipment were dispatched and flown into the Hilo Airport from Oahu BEFORE the actual shutdown of the Kona Airport, which occurred at 4:20PM Monday and by 4:30 AM Tuesday, the runway was repaired and opened.

How much do you think that bill will cost?

Oh, and they found more cracks/chunks/potholes and/or chunking.
(01-18-2024, 07:37 AM)HiloJulie Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 07:19 AM)TomK Wrote: That would be bad as well. But it would be just fine if the airport had spare engines on standby with all the staff needed to replace the engine, fix the runway, and fly the plane. You can imagine the chaos if the spare parts dept didn't have a spare baggage scanner on hand as well in case one of them broke down at the same time.

I have no idea who is claiming there should be spare jet engines and staff needed to replace those jet engines, but I do find it interesting that crews AND equipment were dispatched and flown into the Hilo Airport from Oahu BEFORE the actual shutdown of the Kona Airport, which occurred at 4:20PM Monday and by 4:30 AM Tuesday, the runway was repaired and opened.

That's probably because they couldn't land in Kona but had to be on the island. You can't have a crew fix the runway on Kona if they're in Honolulu. And where else could they land? Waimea? I also don't know what your source is but it's clear they knew there was a problem before 4:20 pm and flights were diverted - 4:20 pm was the time they closed the airport, not the time they found a problem. And, if you hadn't noticed, I hinted that this would be fixed on Tuesday morning.

And none of this would have improved if passengers were dumped in Hilo without any legacy airline service, staff or facilities.
(01-18-2024, 08:22 AM)TomK Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 07:37 AM)HiloJulie Wrote:

That's probably because they couldn't land in Kona but had to be on the island. You can't have a crew fix the runway on Kona if they're in Honolulu. And where else could they land? Waimea? I also don't know what your source is but it's clear they knew there was a problem before 4:20 pm and flights were diverted - 4:20 pm was the time they closed the airport, not the time they found a problem. And, if you hadn't noticed, I hinted that this would be fixed on Tuesday morning.

And none of this would have improved if passengers were dumped in Hilo without any legacy airline service, staff or facilities.
Who said anything about it being “probably?”

Who said anything about the crew not being able to fix the runway in Kona if they are in Oahu?

Who said anything about the discovery of the cracks at 4:20PM?

And yes, I noticed that YOU had hinted that this would be fixed by Tuesday morning. Who said anything to the contrary, other than to say “if” the delays become longer. 

Who said anything about improving the process by “dumping” people in Hilo?

You sure do like to take the spoken word and twist it into something that was never said. Have you ever considered being the press secretary for some major political party? You could be very good at that!

Now, back to my original point of this thread:

I find it interesting that in less than 24 hours crews, equipment and materials were able to be brought in to repave a major section of the runway, but it took three and one half days to fix a baggage scanner.
"I find it interesting that in less than 24 hours crews, equipment and materials were able to be brought in to repave a major section of the runway, but it took three and one half days to fix a baggage scanner."

A broken scanner is an inconvenience. A busted up runway can kill people.
(01-18-2024, 06:53 PM)terracore Wrote: "I find it interesting that in less than 24 hours crews, equipment and materials were able to be brought in to repave a major section of the runway, but it took three and one half days to fix a baggage scanner."

A broken scanner is an inconvenience.  A busted up runway can kill people.
Under that theory, one must ask why we scan baggage in the first place?
"Under that theory, one must ask why we scan baggage in the first place?"

Pan Am 103 comes to mind as one of many reasons we scan baggage.
(01-18-2024, 10:59 PM)Obie Wrote: "Under that theory, one must ask why we scan baggage in the first place?"

Which is why one would think the baggage scanners would be fixed in hours versus three and one half days!
(01-18-2024, 11:02 PM)HiloJulie Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 10:59 PM)Obie Wrote: "Under that theory, one must ask why we scan baggage in the first place?"

Which is why one would think the baggage scanners would be fixed in hours versus three and one half days!

You can search baggage in different albeit slower ways without the most modern scanners. That's why the delays to passengers when the scanner broke down weren't that long. You can't do the same for a runway that is dangerous for aircraft to land on or use for takeoff. That runway has to be fixed first before anyone can travel. A broken scanner doesn't generally shut down an airport, but a dangerous runway or the consequences of an accident caused by such a runway will cause more than a two-hour delay for passengers.
in less than 24 hours crews, equipment and materials were able to be brought in to repave a major section of the runway
------
There are multiple contractors with the right equipment, located all over the island. Not sure which contractor they used but it wouldn't surprise me if the airport had a company or two "always ready".
(01-19-2024, 03:53 PM)leilanidude Wrote: in less than 24 hours crews, equipment and materials were able to be brought in to repave a major section of the runway
------
There are multiple contractors with the right equipment, located all over the island. Not sure which contractor they used but it wouldn't surprise me if the airport had a company or two "always ready".
Well, the State brought in Grace Pacific, along with flying in crews and equipment to Hilo from Oahu, driving over to Kona and repairing the damaged runway. 

One would think that the State could have a company or two “always ready” to repair baggage scanners!