Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight for Non-GMO Foods and Proper GMO Labeling
Thank you, I think.

I am against the terminator gene because of its very high potential to end the sustainability of specific plant species as a whole. Corn, for example. Yes, it sucks that it can cross pollinate with other species, thereby essentially creating a monoculture, but that is better than the alternative of cross pollinating with other species and then ending the viability of all the seeds it creates. The terminator gene is not designed to 'protect' other crops from cross pollination. Monsanto loves for that to happen, they profit. Then they can go in and claim 'ownership' of the entire crop and shut the process down or collect the income from it.

On the contrary, the terminator gene was created so that farmers would have to return every year to Monsanto for their seeds. In the not so distant past, farmers would always save a portion of their crop to replant, or harvest the seeds for the next round. Not so much these days. Monsanto ensures that everyone who does business with them has to continue to come to them for each new crop. They have bought out major seed companies, and continue to systematically eliminate competition and alternatives to their GMOs, either by starting lawsuits that farmers can't afford to fight, buying out farmers, seed companies, now research firms...

I know it's hard to wrap the mind around, it's completely diabolical, and I want to not believe it with every fiber of my being too, but I can't, their own tactics are impossible to deny.

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
Melissa,
Monsanto actually doesn't have any plans to use the so called terminator gene.

"Monsanto Company, an agricultural products company and the world's biggest seed supplier, pledged not to commercialize the technology in 1999.Customers who buy patented transgenic seeds from Monsanto must sign a contract not to save or sell the seeds from their harvest, which preempts the need for a "terminator gene".

You might also want to read this :

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/...seeds.aspx

quote:
Originally posted by Obie...I am trying to point out that most of our food is already GM.I spend my summers in Ohio and I can guarantee you that all of the corn grown in this State is GM.The farmers have signs posted along the roads next to their fields proclaiming what variety of GM corn they are growing!....

LOL. Robert and I and some Punatics had this same discussion on GM wheat and corn a few days ago. In my mind, what you and Robert (and I could be wrong) are referring to is hybrids, where you take something like corn - and introduce other varieties of corn to get the best properties of each variety. But overall it is still corn. What I told Robert, was taking a tomato and introducing frog genes, is not the same as hybridizing corn, or tomatoes.
You are right Cat.Most of it is hybrid.

Gm is just a quicker way of doing it.

85% of the corn in the US is GM and it is used in almost every product you can think of.

Sorry I didn't get over to say Hi.I was on a mission!!
PaulW, you know darn well that the RP quote is part of my signature so making references to it (as calling out LeeE for remote healing) is pure simple childish attempts at personal ridicule that has nothing to do with the topic. Yes, if you can't debate the issues, call your opponent names. Only a fool would think no one's on to you.

Those who spout science excellence needs to be reminded that nature trumps all. If nature intended for tomatotogs and tomatoquis, then they wouldn't have to be made in a lab. There's nothing natural about lab foods, but then again the AMA, FDA and USDA approved and even encouraged sale of margarine, 1 molecule away from plastic. Yum! I'll have some plastic on my GMO corn.

Why would labeling raise cost? These products already have labels, they just need to have full disclosure if they are using GMO. Same reason why there are ingredient lists on each label...so people can make informed choices. Why not disclose if you've got nothing to hide?

"So, if they insert a terminator gene, they're evil."
They're evil for many reasons:
http://www.activistpost.com/2012/04/mons...o.html#mor\

"The cause? Monsanto's cost-inflated and ineffective seeds have been driving farmers to suicide, and is considered to be one of the largest -- if not the largest -- cause of the quarter of a million farmer suicides over the past 16 years...Due to failing harvests and inflated prices that bankrupt the poor farmers, struggling Indian farmers began to kill themselves. Oftentimes, they would commit the act by drinking the very same insecticide that Monsanto
supplied them with -- a gruesome testament to the extent in which Monsanto has wrecked the lives of independent and traditional farmers."

"An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped" Dr. Ron Paul 2012
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI
liksir, so far you've called me a "greed head", "small mind", "childish", "a bully" and said I
can't "defend [my] position intelligently", told me to be "silent" and to "stay in [my] sandbox"

On top of that you've told me I indulge in "personal attacks"! And all of that in this thread alone.

All because I asked you about your messiah, Ron Paul. Sheesh.

Good thing for you this forum is so lenient on personal attacks. I don't care, do your worst. It's a good illustration of the mentality of anti-GM activists and Ron Paul supporters.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW...
Good thing for you this forum is so lenient on personal attacks. I don't care, do your worst. It's a good illustration of the mentality of anti-GM activists and Ron Paul supporters.

A little stereotyping? I agree with non-GMO, and supported Ron Paul. Some of us have tried not to attack but use humor and rational thought. My non-agreement with you does not mean I am irrational. Just means I wanna know what is in my food. I also advocate personal responsibility with GMO issues. Dont know if GMO? Dont buy it. Simple.

Loss of $$$$$$'s make way better teaching materials for companies like Monsanto who heavily based on capitalism, and not so much on the common good, than any riot in the streets. For example, if they came out with a Non-GMO seed packet for something, charged premium prices for the "heirloom" seeds, is it not a basic idea that people will buy them? Then people like me will throw them on the counter, and possible/or not get planted, and then have to buy another seed packet when I cant find them. Boycotts worked with chik-fil-A.

Just a different perspective.
the entire human race is GMO, get over it.
glad I'm not one of you humans, you can be a cranky bunch.

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jlgerk
PaulW, Waaaah! Play in your sandbox by yourself.

"An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped" Dr. Ron Paul 2012
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI
Irrational? Painting an entire "group" with a single brush is the epitome of irrational thought.

Anti-science? Claiming that the issue is settled, not keeping an open mind, and discouraging long-term research is anti-science.

Personal attacks? Speaking to people who hold different opinions in a snarky, condescending way is a personal attack. (And yes, it encourages others to retaliate.)

Those who can't engage in a dialectic in a civil way usually have serious personal issues. It speaks volumes about them and no one else.

On occasion I actually find myself in agreement with PaulW, but even then I do it with great reluctance, ha ha.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius