Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
fishenjim quote:"D.T. you compare isil/isis to the protesters here in Hawaii. religious Ignorance you say."

Yes, I think D.T. is losing her mind. She is busy getting dizzy!
OK Rob I get youroint and have no reason to contest it. However, I'm wondering, just how far should the extra leeway for the Kanaka reach? Is any bias or racist talk acceptable whem spoken by a Kanaka? Is there a limit or will you just know it when you see it.

I don't want to be misunderstood. I have absolutely no issues with the Kanaka in general and don't dispute historical wrongs occurred. I have no reason to doubt your observations of current and recent events.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
When will the defenders of bigotry realize that such defence is bigotry itself? If some jackass wants to toss around bigoted words let them reap what they sow. This bickering back and forth in defense of the bigot is pathetically hypocritical.
Last I heard, as a nation, the 1st Amendment was in effect. If someone wants to say something you might find objectionable - so what?

The 1st rule of internet comes to mind: Don't feed the trolls. So why put out 500 words objecting to one word? Makes one appear more interested in the initial word/subject than the original speaker.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Native Hawaiians can be generally great people who have borne injustice nobly but none of that counts for squat when making statements that based on simple logic are racist. I invoke my 1st amendment rights when I point out that the emperor's okole is hanging out. Because it is.
LOL MarkP... well said.
Rob, the First Ammendment is irrevelent as this is your site and you can show whatever favoratism you wish. I seriously doubt you would show such deference to other ethenic groups and I believe PW history would bear that out. If this your policy, then I can accept it or not. Since you are being somewhat open and honest about this favoritism I'll not post about it further. I haven't been trolling, at least not intentionally.

PS: It appears the spell checker on this little Google pad has crashed so you get to fully appreciate my spelling abilities. Lightning took out both of my computers, printer and central AC last week.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Remind me again what word has everybody upset? And I thought it was spoken at the TMT ground breaking.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob,

At the protest, a Native Hawaiian protester stated to the other Native Hawaiian Dignitaries that they were "slimy snakes" and "infidels."

I simply just asked if we can now expect beheadings.
I believe the words were infidel and the other used here has been haole. Both I suppose are interchangeable depending on the intended aspect within their meanings.

The other word was beheading which is not bigoted when used as a word but rather an act conducted by many bigots throughout history and sadly even to this day.

If we examine the word Haole we could draw a more direct comparative out of the ancestral closet and cite savage. Though both reflect differing meaning they were at their time a perspective descriptive used in the application of bigotry by the differing races at the time. I don't think anyone here would accept the use of the word savage when referencing the Hawaiian people or any race of people for that matter.

I personally don't give a crap what you call me or us but when it's derogatory in nature it only serves to discredit the wielder of the word and consequently any opinions they may have expressed. Typically I steer clear of such bigoted issues. That being said, bigotry has begun to mutate into a rather deceptive form and that's caused me to begin calling it to the mat lately. Tolerance has been mistaken as acceptance for far too long now. People need not agree in order to respect one another. Nor do people need to accept for themselves the practice of another's perspective in order to understand it.

We live in a global community today, no longer do we live in isolated communities and it's beyond time we all start accepting that fact.