Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native Hawaiians in support of TMT
http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...-telescope

It's becoming quite the circus -- and I'll bet the contradictory headlines are very confusing, out there in the rest of the world...
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

It's becoming quite the circus -- and I'll bet the contradictory headlines are very confusing, out there in the rest of the world...

Wasn't it already a circus? Sadly, the only thing people outside Hawaii see and remember are the imagery of native people chanting and holding emotional signs like "bulldoze your own temple". The nuances of both the loss of educational opportunities as well as being a leader in the field doesn't make it past the sound bites. I think PUEO is correct in their stance if Hawaii is going to take an active role in this industry in the future. And a calmer dialog is needed before these decisions are made.
very confusing, out there in the rest of the world...

Not just out there...
Wasn't that the sizzle from another malahihi meltdown - - when everything went topsy turvey again?

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
loss of educational opportunities as well as being a leader in the field

This part is especially painful -- Hawaii has two natural resources: geothermal power, and a location that's ideal for tourism and telescopes. As it turns out, these are all too sacred for anyone to actually use...
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

loss of educational opportunities as well as being a leader in the field

This part is especially painful -- Hawaii has two natural resources: geothermal power, and a location that's ideal for tourism and telescopes. As it turns out, these are all too sacred for anyone to actually use...

Aloha kakahiaka, all. To be clear, regarding geothermal, not ALL Hawaiians are against it, in fact, very few "token Hawaiians" are part of the Puna Pono group, as an example. This group, led by non-Hawaiians have been the driving force against geothermal development for decades. In fact sued ORMAT/PGV, and received payoffs from their lawsuit.

Let's keep the facts straight, posted by a Hawaiian who is in favor of managing our own resources, including geothermal energy. Fracking amazing, huh? (Oh, fracking is not/cannot be used in Hawai'i, yet lots of wasted time and energy was spent by the same group to ban fracking...go figure).

Back to topic, very pleased to see PUEO's position against the decommissioning plan for the Hoku Kea. This is the kind of last minute, knee jerk reaction the State/UH/BLNR have as an "answer" to the situation they currently face. Wrong, again. SMH.

JMO.

ETA: typo
Opihikao, mahalo to you for your view or opinion about some Hawaiians feelings regarding geothermal today. Hope all is well with you and your Ohana.

Opihikao, Although you and I have crossed paths on this geothermal issue in the past, we were able to keep it respectful.

Please allow me to ask you a sensitive question that has been impacting my family for some time now.

Would you or todays Hawaiian be in favor of your local politicians being able to take, use, or spend geothermal "relocation" funds in order to help supplement the County Budget or pay for required county functions?

I had to ask you Opihikao, because you did bring up a Hawaiian perspective about the on going geothermal operations and because I respect you and your opinion on most community issues. And for two, you have done very well avoiding "me" on the county offer thread, lol.

As you know some here who live around the geothermal power plant have been patiently waiting for the county of Hawaii to help them relocate and the Relocation funds have been strangely dissapearing, miscounted, or being redistributed for other "priorities". I am concerned this once well intended relocation fund could or may have turned into a Possible political slush fund. Meanwhile we are trying to stay patient and positive throughout this obviously difficult time, mahalo again Opihikao.

quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Opihikao, Although you and I have crossed paths on

Opihikao, _please_ don't bite the troll bait. Although you and I have crossed paths...you might leave this one under the bridge. Few others seem able to, but I know you can, I think you can, I think you can, I think you can, I know you can!

Cheers,
Kirt
don't bite the troll bait

But knieft, how do you resist?
After one spoonful of Post Gypsy's Troll Bait for breakfast, it's hard to stop.
No GMO, gluten free, and oh, those little marshmallow pearls (of wisdom) in almost every bite!

-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

don't bite the troll bait

But knieft, how do you resist?
After one spoonful of Post Gypsy's Troll Bait for breakfast, it's hard to stop.
No GMO, gluten free, and oh, those little marshmallow pearls (of wisdom) in almost every bite!

-Joseph Brodsky

you just do
Latest news, although it's actually quite old news:

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...-telescope

During that meeting, in May, the decommissioning of UKIRT before the TMT becomes operational was also a topic of discussion with PUEO supporting UKIRT continuing operations beyond that deadline, but it wasn't reported by the paper.

The UHH telescope is broken beyond repair so needs a complete replacement, but to have a telescope on Mauna Kea that UHH students can use for training while also being part of the scientific community on MK is an enormous bonus for the students.

As a by the by, when students used the previous UHH training telescope, UKIRT was they place they came to in the middle of the night to warm up and get coffee! It also meant they could interact with our staff and observers and see what we were up to.