Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacation rental likes/dislikes
Hello, we're thinking of starting up a vacation rental in Puna.
I thought it might be interesting to share ideas on what makes
a good vacation rental. Input is welcome from all - especially
people who have rented and people who own rentals.

I think it benefits (nearly) everyone if the tourists enjoy their stay here.

Some initial ideas, based on my experiences as a renter:
- have wi-fi available, if possible
- have an old desktop computer available, plus printer
- have somewhere safe to store valuables when out and about
- have printed maps and local information for the renters to take
with them
- have some samples from the Makuu market (e.g. the soap) for them to keep

Please feel free to contribute. Looking forward to your ideas.

We have found that guests staying at our ohana appreciate:
TV & DVD (& a volcano DVD & a few oldy cheapy classic movies in the ohana)
the use of reference books (ie bird, fish & plant IDs, history & quick Hawaiian language)
toiletries available, if needed, same for some rubba slippas, and a few general area postcards (and have post card stamps available...), suntan lotion
clean, good condition sports equip (we are near a tennis court, so rackets & balls + snorkel gear, bikes (we have gotten some reasonable ones at the transfer & Sally shop) & we have Kayaks, but they are only for friends use...
we have a few sweat &/or fleece shirts & pants, just in case they want a visit up the mountain
umbrellas (tiny & a golf one)
these are things we have, most are for the asking, not out-right in the ohana
Thanks Carey, some very good ideas. That reminds me that disposable razor blades would also be very welcome for those who only bring carry-on luggage.
I know if "I" was a tourist paying for a vacation rental in Puna that the most important thing for me is that it should have a pool. Sorry but I'm just being honest!
As a tourist, I look for comfortable beds and a really nice lanai to relax on (usually just for breakfast though - realistically, if I am staying in Puna on vacation, I'll be off at looking for lava, hanging out at beaches, going up Mauna Kea and generally touring the island all day. Some other pluses that will leave them happy: some nice soap, laundry facilities, beach gear, some good travel books. A super bonus is fresh local produce and coffee. A hot tub wouldn't hurt. Your secure valuable storage idea is a very good one. Small safes for passports, etc, would provide a bit of a sense of security.

The big thing, though, if you want to advertise on something like vrbo.com is to make sure you provide a lot of pictures of the place (decorate it nicely) and the lush tropical surroundings. Next, get people into the place. Things people check on vrbo are whether or not the place has reviews and whether it's booked much. If you have no bookings or reviews, people will have alarm bells going off.

Internet's a good idea, but most computer literate folks will bring at least a tablet with them. Printers are pretty passe these days (except for my wife, she seems to print EVERYTHING).

Take anything I say with a grain of salt, though. I'm a pretty active tourist and can't sit still for more than a couple hours, even on the beach. Most people are more sedentary I suppose.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
We just spent 6 weeks in HPP on a beautifully 1and scaped acre with banana, avocado, citrus and lots of beautiful foliage. It had a pool and hot tub and is a VRBO.com rental. The availability of fresh fruit, privacy, pool & spa were the criteria for our vaca rental search. We LOVED it! Can't wait to make it back to Hawaii Smile
islandgirl
Not sure that I would recommend putting in a pool for a vacation rental use today, as tomorrow the new ADA laws on pools go into effect for public pools

Based on the info I can find, it does not seem that vacation rentals have been specifically excluded, and the VRMA is looking to the court interpretation to define the scope of the new language of "place of lodging" (at upwards of $100,000 fine for non-compliance, this could really put a crimp in vacation rental owner, unless this interpretation is finalized)

ADA pool info:
http://www.americanpool.com/our-company/...fact-sheet
VRMA looking at the at the issue:
http://www.vrma.com/resource/resmgr/2011...FedLaw.pdf
As a renter, I don't expect to be supplied my personal toiletries, sunscreen, razors, anything like that. I do expect body wash or soap, a shampoo and a conditioner is nice, dish soap, toilet paper, paper towels, salt and pepper, working kitchen or kitchenette.

We had an inexpensive rental. We chose tropical scents for the toiletries and soaps.

We did not provide snorkel gear, but some do. (I don't like using other people's gear.)

We did provide:
a BBQ
an ice chest they could take on outings, and blue ice packs..
two flashlights with fresh batteries
use of an outside faucet with hose for washing feet etc..

We used high thread count sheets, hypoallergenic pillows, cotton comforter, and high quality oversized towels. Installed a rain shower type showerhead.

We put in some fresh flowers for each arrival, and a box of mac nuts.
for arrival (of a couple), two comp bottles of water in frig, selection of tea, sugar, asked if they wanted half and half or milk.

Basically tried to give them a start for the first morning.
Guide books, books on Hawaiian history, culture, plants, orchids, and a selection of brochures and cards -- the current 101 things to do.

We had a binder with a lot of information for their reference and the house rules such as they were. (We found out people do really clueless things.)

As far as appliances went:
a TV, DVD player, CD player, some CD's including Hawaiian music and meditation type music, a handful of movies, a cordless phone (long distance blocked), a white noise machine w/clock and alarm. Free wi-fi, no computer or printer. That was before smart phones. I think there is even less need now.

Quality coffeemaker, as I hate bad coffeemakers, grinder, and a hot water pot, microwave, blender, toaster.

The more high end the rental, the more bells and whistles.
My former real estate agent, who has a Volcano rental, says they opted not to do a hot tub because of liability.

For me as a renter, I want a good mattress on the bed. I hate getting a bad mattress.

One tip: people love to get and consume lots of fruit and create a lot of fruity sticky garbage that attracts flies and ants, so tried to get them to dispose of that in an outside covered receptacle. People who aren't from here don't understand how to deal with food, crumbs, sugar, etc.. and not draw pests -- nor do they want to arrive and be told a bunch of stuff either.

Example of clueless behavior: even though the parking was maybe 15 feet from the lanai, with a lawn in-between, they backed the vehicle right up to the lanai over the grass, when it had been raining hard -- and created big ugly muddy ruts in the nice lawn in front of the lanai.

Always fun to deal with when you have new people showing up in 3-4 hours.
Or they manage to stop up the plumbing.
Or they ask to use your washer and then throw in clothes with so much sand in them that it fills up the plumbing and you need a washer repairman to come.

I really did enjoy having guests, but some of them use a place hard.

Some stuff we did like having portable maps and mapbook, didn't work out because they went missing. They would throw them in the rental car and forgot to take them out. So OK if you don't mind replacing them.

Another thing I didn't expect (although I should have), women wearing make-up and perfume and getting stains all over the towels and linens, and leaving the rental absolutely reeking of perfume. I guess I expected more guests who were into natural stuff.

A safe is a good idea. We were never asked about that. Have wished for something myself when traveling to places where theft is a problem.
Plenty of propane for grilling/cooking/laundry.
CIrcuits that aren't overloaded.
If you advertise TV/Phone/PC, you'd better have it and make sure it works.
Catchment cover NOT collapsed in the water!
Bikes, prefer not rusted to the point the wheels don't turn and tires that aren't flat.
No roosters next door.
Decent bed(s).
I don't mind geckos in the house, but my wife does so if you have them let me know first.
Do NOT water down the liquid hand soap or dish detergent.
Any food left shouldn't be moldy. Clean the fridge, maybe.
Leave AT LEAST one light on if the guests are to arrive at night.
Give the guests a decent map to your place before they arrive.
Make sure the dresser drawers remain glued together - pulling the fronts off the drawers is no fun and going to the hardware store to get stuff to fix them isn't either.
Most important:
Be on-island
Be friendly.

Puna: Our roosters crow first
If you are looking at a property to turn into a vacation rental, I would take my caution even more seriously...It seems that right at this moment, there is a great uncertainty as to wether residential vacation rentals are exempt from the Dept. of Justice update on ADA compliance. This is more than just the pool compliance which goes into effect today, but also into total ADA compliance that take effect today. The NV hotel link is based on some 'professional differences' occurring between hotel owners & the vacation rental market of CA/NV...
http://www.nvhotels.com/emailtemplates/m...or2012.pdf

I will post the VRMA link again here, as these regulations may, or may not apply to all or most vacation rentals as of today.
http://www.vrma.com/resource/resmgr/2011...FedLaw.pdf
ETA: Found this ADA.gov clarification, and it does have a further definition that owner occupied VR's with fewer than 5 rooms to rent are exempt, but if the owner does not occupy, it seems they are not exempt from all public ADA requirements, as they are not specifically exempted:
http://www.ada.gov/taman3.html