Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accident on 2/11 - Manono/Kekuanaoa Hilo
The accident happened shortly before 10 AM on Thurs Feb 11. If you saw it happen, please email me.

A woman ran a red light and totaled my friends 1 week old car!! (the light had been green for my friend - the other person admitted to not seeing red light but then told police it was green.)

If you saw and are willing to speak up please email me so I can pass your name on to Val.

-Cat

About time to start putting in red-light cameras.......

BTW, they pay for themselves over and over.

ETA,
I forgot to say I hope things work out for your friend.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I used to live in a city with those red light cameras. They were very dangerous. I personally saw three accidents that they caused. People would get so freaked out that they would slam on the brakes and go into a skid. People behind them would run into them. I personally would get anxiety going through them. They would have to issue hundreds of tickets a month for them to pay for itself. Not even profit from it. Thank goodness I don't see them doing that.
I live in a city that has about 30 installed. What you said has been brought up here, but so far no one can show an accident that was "caused" by the cameras.
Last July about 5000 tickets were issued for running red lights generating $600,000 in revenue.

I've had some close calls at Puainako and 11, think that'd be a good location for starters.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
It's true, it takes a while for people to adjust to stopping for a red light when they've been ignoring them for years. But well worthwhile.
I got rear ended when I stopped for a red light at that Puainako/11 intersection and the woman who hit me got out and started yelling "If you hadn't stopped this wouldn't have happened!" Then she drove off. People just assume that 4 cars will go through after the light turns.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Having spent some time on this subject before, I found out that most of the tickets issued are not for the traditional running of the red light. Tickets are issued if the tires of the vehicle cross the white line, even if it stopped and did not go through the intersection. Tickets are also issued for turn right on red violations - if the driver inches forward to see to his left - it is a violation/ticket. Chicago is seeing most of its revenue from red light cameras coming from these situations.

Rear end collisions have increased in intersections with the cameras. However, in general, the rear end collision does have lessor injuries than those caused by the "T-Bone" style accident which is more commonly associated with running a red light.
I've seen cop cars/speed traps cause accidents, but I fail to see how a red light camera would have the same impact.

But, these cameras are a little overboard. Do we need to start ticketing people when they come to a "rolling stop" at an intersection with no other cars? While it's technically a crime, ticketing someone for something so minor reeks more of a cash grab for the county than actual justice.

Heres a better idea. Make drivers ed worth a **** around here. I've been all over, and this island has the worst drivers I've ever seen. I've been in more "close calls" here than any other place, and I haven't even been here that long. I almost got my 370z smashed into 3 times by people not paying attention the first month I had it. if the car didn't handle and brake so well it would have been smashed.
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

I live in a city that has about 30 installed. What you said has been brought up here, but so far no one can show an accident that was "caused" by the cameras.
Last July about 5000 tickets were issued for running red lights generating $600,000 in revenue.

I've had some close calls at Puainako and 11, think that'd be a good location for starters.

That is a nicely sum of dollars, but also impressive I'm sure, would be the lives saved, deaths avoid statistics.

mella l

Paris London New York PUNA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Cat so sorry to hijack your thread. I hope your friend has had some luck with witnesses coming through for them.

mella l

Paris London New York PUNA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA