Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th
I would not say something which I did not believe true. No, it is not possible to prove anything in an online forum, but truth also can not be found in the denial of possibility. Sometimes the truth does sound incredible until you have been through it yourself. The SPACE issue will not be solved here, but hopefully some people attending the community meeting will come with questions they might not otherwise have thought to ask.

Thank you, KathyH , for concisely and eloquently sharing your similar experience.
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

This is a zoning issue,
Actually, it's not even a zoning issue.

The zoning allows SPACE to exist within that zoning. It does require a Special Use Permit. That Special Use Permit outlines the conditions SPACE must stay within in order to be allowed to continue operating. Based on County records, they have violated the conditions of that Special Use Permit on many occasions.

They were granted an exception providing they agreed to follow a set of guidelines. They are no longer following the guidelines and the County has an obligation to now step in because HRS requires that the operation under a Special Use Permit have no adverse impact on the "adjoining property owners and neighboring properties". It appears that a few adjoining property owner and neighboring property owners have filed formal complaints that the operation is having an adverse impact on them.

The County will have to determine if the problems rise to the definition of adverse impact and if it’s a community issue or impacts actual adjoining properties. If the issue is a general neighborhood issue, they will listen to all the neighbors and community. But if the impact is to adjoining property owners, those property owners have superior rights over the “community” and the County would under the law, have no choice but to order the operation to conform to their Special Use Permit, try to work something out between all parties, or revoke the Special Use Permit.

For what it worth, almost all major development interest and their consulting firms are backing SPACE.
quote:
This is a zoning issue, anonymous personal attacks really shouldn't enter into it.
By that logic, supportive personal testimonials really shouldn't enter into it either. None of it should be personal; it should all be about the law. Instead, this topic grew as very heavy on the personal endorsement side, which then drew a rebuttal as to whether the level of support is deserved if all facts were known. To me that seems reasonable, but other than Rob welcoming the other side of the story to the table, the mood instantly got very challenging to the newcomer.

His own credibility attacked, he was basically encouraged to say what he could to give more credibility to his opinions, which then drew more hostility against what he was saying, because no one wanted to hear it, because it was about someone regarded highly by some members of this community.

I said in my first post that I won't be one of the people affecting the Planning Commission decision. What I'm commenting on is the tone of this topic. From the perspective of a neutral reader, the partisanship hasn't made a good impression on me and I felt like if someone wasn't going to say so, there wasn't enough diversity of viewpoint represented.

Carol, I did not say I had personal involvement with charlatans and I did not mention cults. I was fortunate enough never to fall in with Jones, Moonie, Manson, or other extremes. I said I had experience with benign philanthropical organizations that had too much ego in the mix. That the human ego is usually present in any endeavor no matter how much benefit is conceived. This is observable all the more when a person is putting 100% of his or her energy into the endeavor and has become over-identified with it.
quote:
Peregrine made extreme statements about someone while providing no evidence, which makes me think they are trying to destroy the credibility of people testifying in future public input sessions.
I seriously doubt that a Punaweb discussion is going to destroy credibility of people testifying before the Planning Commission. That is taking Punaweb too seriously. The forum for destroying credibility such that it impacts the resolution of the issue in law is at the public meetings. At most peregrine is presenting an alternate interpretation of the situation to people who may or may not be involved in speaking to the Commission, for their consideration.

My opinion as to the zoning issue is the same as DanielP's.
I am a strong believer in the principle of honoring contracts. In some ways I think civilization is built on the notion of contracts. A Special Use Permit is a contract in which one party receives consideration (the permit), in exchange for agreeing to certain limitations. The neighbors who allowed the permit to be granted gave consideration. Consideration can be NOT exercising a legal right, in this case, not challenging the original use permit based on the representations made by SPACE.

Changing the terms of a contract requires a revision between all parties. It is wrong for a party that received a benefit to cease to adhere to agreed upon parameters. Now if all the parties that gave up rights to oppose the original use permit are satisfied that they are receiving benefits that are acceptable replacements for adhering to the parameters, OK, they can reach an agreement. But obviously that's not the case. People who were not part of the original zoning process are putting themselves into the mix by arguing that the benefit to the wider community should outweigh the detriments to the immediate neighbors.

I don't think it is right, on principle, without any judgment as to whether or not SPACE is as wonderful as it's made out to be. Clearly it has become bigger than the proposal that got it a permit, and didn't go back to Planning and initiate public meetings to get approval. It wants approval after the fact. I would feel the same way if someone built a ten-story apartment building after it got approval to build a one-story multi-unit building, and then argued that it was housing orphans and should be allowed to stand. Thus obfuscating the point that there's no way they would have been allowed to build ten stories if they had applied to do that in the first place. I suppose in this case the argument is along the lines of "we never planned to get to ten stories; we just added a story every few years and now here we are, a little taller than we expected. Height happens."
Peregrine,I wish you didn't post all this stuff about G.Ellis.
Truth or not,it takes people's attention far away from the real problem.

http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10189
Ditto to your posts including John
Aloha Everyone,
Most of you will recognize who we are and know of our involvement it our community and as active supporters of SPACE. There seems to be a lot of "he said/ she said" going on and this is all good as long as it is honest and in the interest of fixing the perceived problem, not just idle name calling. SPACE is sponsoring a community forum on Saturday, February 27th, after the market. We have hired a professional facilitator to help sort this out. Please attend, we are truly interested in hearing all sides.

Peregrine, you are our neighbor and we enjoy seeing your great kids playing and enjoying life here in Seaview. You benefit from the convenience of having a quality school at SPACE for them. You and your family also benefited from selling your food services at our Saturday market. It seems that only after you were refused access for not playing well with others, on multiple occasions, that you became disenchanted. Does your rant have anything to do with this? We also wonder why you moved to a house bordering SPACE, if it is such a nuisance. A peaceful heart is one that is free from worry and trouble.

We look forward to a positive resolution of this for the betterment of our community.

Garry & Cyd
Garry & Cyd
Welcome to the forum,Garry and Cyd!
I am supporting the great cause.

I am enjoying a convenience of walking to the farmers market instead of driving 32 miles to Hilo .

But are you saying that there's no noise and privacy violation issue here and all this is a personal vendetta?

(I don't know the situation since I live too far to testify for or against)

As far as personal stuff goes,you are following the same path.

I agree with Kathy - only people who live next door to SPACE or close enough to be affected should have a say in the matter.
The irony is that, given the dynamics of our political system, the hundreds of (votes) individuals who support SPACE may well be successful in taking away the individual property rights of SPACE's neighbors by pressuring our elected officials.
Thank you for the welcome,

We have lived in Seaview for over ten years. Our "green" home is just two blocks from SPACE.

The meeting on the 27th will address whether we have noise and privacy violation issues relating to SPACE.

As far as "personal vendetta", that is irrelevant. The issue is how to legitimately continue providing much needed programs and services while being sensitive to our community.

Garry & Cyd

Garry & Cyd
Mr.Hoffeld, you presume to know who I am. By what means did you come to this discovery? Are you making an assumption, or do you have facts? Where does your information come from? My information has come from insiders, personal experience and observation.
You assert that someone was excluded for "not playing well with others", but did you ever hear the story from all sides? I don't believe so. Where were you when people brought complaints to the powers that could address them but were ignored? Where were you when people's property was violated and threatened by members of Belly Acres? Where were you when a mother who had fallen out of favor was told by a known gun owner in that organization that she would "find [her child] at McKenzie."?
You have invested a considerable amount of money in SPACE. Perhaps you should invest more time in understanding the issues as they really are, not simply the version you are told by people who have their own grudges and vendettas. Are you willing to hear another side? That is how community is built and strengthened. Or will certain individuals be barred from the community meeting? How committed are you to the true meaning of community, not just your relationship with Graham Ellis and SPACE?