Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another HPP rip off
Just heard, end of 7th, Kaloli.
Not sure when exactly, but likely in the last week.
Extra vigilance is needed, seriously.

I admit it's somewhat challenging to feel safe in my own home here in HPP. How do we stop these people?

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
Join Neighborhood Watch. Areas in HPP with active NW groups, while not burglary free, have significantly fewer than other areas. Contact email is HPPWatch@aol.com.
Just sent - thank you, Jerry.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
I'm on the end of 8th....thanks for the heads up
Does anyone in these areas use some sort of alarm monitoring system such as ADT or Alert Alarm and if so, how effective are these systems in deterring and/or preventing these kind of burglaries?
quote:
Originally posted by big_island_bound

Does anyone in these areas use some sort of alarm monitoring system such as ADT or Alert Alarm and if so, how effective are these systems in deterring and/or preventing these kind of burglaries?

If you do use ADT or some other alarm company, don't "advertise" it with one of their little signs.

Some of the scum that are breaking into homes know how a particular system works and how to get around it. Such as, "Oh look there's a ADT system, I know how to get around it". These guys might have even worked for them in the past. If you have an alarm system, better to keep them guessing.
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
Anyone have any specifics on the security companies here? Personal experiences? Do you use ADT? How was the installation performed? What are the installers like? How is their customer service? Do you see weaknesses in the system itself, that would allow bypassing? (Beyond the aforementioned "I used to work for them..." scenario.)

Please share, if you have info.
Mahalo.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
There was a break-in on A street a couple of weeks ago in a home with an alarm system. The neighbors all heard it, but thought it was a car alarm going off, and thought nothing more when it stopped within a few minutes. The alarm stopped because the thieves busted through the drywall and cut the power to the alarm system.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The voice alert type seem to be a little better than just a siren
And defense in depth is the best way if you can. Neighborhood watch is your outer ring, then not making it easy to get in the house, an alarm, then if you have a bunch of stuff in one room like an office secure that- real door, something more than Sheetrock on the walls , windows you can't climb thru, and maybe a separate alarm for that if the house is a more open design or There are a lot of people in and out
An Anatolian Shepherd wandering around in the yard might not hurt either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd_Dog

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".