Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Law enforcement on the east side?
Yes I know the volcano is the number one attraction, I was referring to the development of industry and resorts,etc.
Pog, I too like it just the way it is...I just don't like the perception that Bob was referring to.
TonyB, Just to clarify, do you want more industry and resorts on the Big Island? If you think the Volcano is the problem, try doing business with the county and the state. If you do want more industry, please don't bring it here.
I like the diversity in Puna.
It has the haves and have nots.
Are there no have nots in Kona?.. I don't think so.
Isn't it ironic that they have the highest real estate prices
and we have the best air?
Anything that lies downwind of the volcano isn't habitable
in my opinion.
Every time I go to Kona I start to cough and my eyes get watery..
So2...Ew

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
I think what Tony is referring to is the reason the Puna coastline isn't choked with mega resorts and golf courses is; Kilauea Volcano. Most people here do indeed like it that way![8D]
There is a real need for jobs here in Puna so people aren't locked into commuting to work every day, sometimes as far as Waikaloa or Kona. I don't think anyone wants large scale heavy industry here, but the population is big enough that we should have at least some family wage jobs right here.

Value added products from our agricultural products would be a start, there are many other kinds of small scale light industry that are relatively clean and quiet, don't need a lot of infrastructure, and could provide 5 to 20 jobs apiece producing products needed here in Hawaii. That kind of diversified economic base handles downturns much better than relying on one or two large industries like tourism and ag. But there is no will at a governmental level to support or encourage that kind of economic development here in Puna.

It is my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) that we don't even have any land zoned for that kind of economic activity, other than Shipman's which is virtually in Hilo. So we get a KFC, a Burger King, and a Longs, but we don't have anyplace someone could set up a small production facility making something like ag sprinkler equipment, or Aloha shirts, or doors and windows, or widgets. Instead any of those kinds of jobs end up in Hilo.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
where there is infrastructure and vacant buildings ready to go, not to mention oahu where there are ALOT more people willing to work and real infrastructure. puna is the side of a volcano, there will be no real investment here ever.

quote:
Originally posted by csgray
Instead any of those kinds of jobs end up in Hilo.

Mahalo Greg, that's what I was trying to say and that is why I like it as well. So no Mauka, I don't want to bring big business to Puna, but I would like to change the perception that Bob was referring to.
This board is just an echo chamber for a VERY certain demographic. I am not that demographic but do enjoy the board. IMHO there is really not much interest in the police presence in puna and people would rather they not come around so much / Fly around so much. No amount of Public Relations from guys in outfits with shiny badges is gonna change the fact that they can cruise freely with loaded guns and none of us the "civilians" can. Can they shoot you? well we all know that answer.

I sure hope Bob doesn't get to shut down his orphanage and build his hazardous waste facility here in Puna. That said, my own anecdotal experience regarding the attitudes here vis a vis the police is not too far removed from Bob's. I think a lot of folks here don't want the cops snooping around, and I think it is perfectly reasonable for the police to have noticed that fact. However, I also think that there are pockets where the attitude is changing. So Puna is evolving maybe, and James is only territorial because he wants to represent the people who do in fact live here. No harm there, as long as he continues to listen to his constituency, as we evolve from hippes and survivalists into something hopefully more sophisticated in the years to come. (Assuming of course, that he wins... Good luck James!)
Yep, most of us can't wait for Puna to mature into sophistication, like an influx of mainstream tv zombies whose world view extends to American Idol and reality tv shows.Wink

Now, if Puna became more like Holland...**S**

Right about Puna evolving...

Speaking of which...from the San Francisco Chronicle. Great piece and long overdue. Pat yourselves on the back, folks.

"The hippies were right all along -- we knew that

Mark Morford
San Francisco Chronicle May 2, 2007

Go ahead, name your movement. Name something good and positive and pro-environment and eco-friendly that's happening in the newly "greening" of America...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...PIHBB1.DTL
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."