Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite BI hiking, camping, getaway places?
Aloha friends,

We are looking forward to our move over, but one of the things we enjoy in Atlanta are weekend trips, hiking, going to the beach, mini-vacations.
One of the reasons we chose the BI was all the various climates and the diversity of the Island, the idea of going to Kona for a weekend concert or a beach trip can satisfy our need to getaway.
So we are interested in everyone's local BI getaway places and stories?

Mahalo and Aloha, Tony
If it gets too hot...we do the trip up Mauna Kea and hike to the summit and also the glacial lake. Otherwise we take trips to Hapuna Beach whenever we have the urge for white sand and clear turquoise waters. And we occasionally "play" tourist at one of the multi-million dollar resort hotels when we need to be pampered.
Get an annual pass to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, where the altitude ranges from sea level to the upper slopes of Mauna Loa. It is an amazing place with numerous hiking trails, camping areas, and scenic drives. The terrain ranges from some of the lushest rain forest on the island to desert. Oh yeah, it has a volcano, too.
We live in Volcano Village and often joke that we are in the only place in the world where you can drive to Hawaii. One of our favorite places to go is a small rental just outside of Hawi. Dinner at the Bamboo, a hike to the lighthouse, killer snorkeling and Pololu Valley AND very few tourists compared to Kona and South Kohala. We have even toyed with the idea of a second house there. Kind of the best of both worlds.
Great idea to get a year pass to Volcano Park. Its only $25.00/year. One of the best values in the state.
I second getting the annual pass to the parks.
It is called the Hawaii Tri-Park Annual Pass.
It is $25 per year (valid for one full year when purchased) and gets you and the occupants of your vehicle into the parks at no charge.
Since you know you will have visitors, its a good deal.
My husband and I are members of Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens in Onomea Bay just north of Hilo. http://www.htbg.com/index.html One visit and we wanted to join, so when we moved here, that was one of the first things we did. Admission is $15, so a family membership at $50 is good esp. if you have guests coming or you're going to go more than once a year. As soon as I start walking down that entrance boardwalk, all my troubles go away. Afterwards, we always stop at Whats Shakin' for fish wraps and fresh smoothies down the same scenic drive.
One thing I'd suggest is putting as many of your expenses through mileage cards even if you want to pay them off right away. I did that with all the materials for my house and racked up miles for interisland flights. Have been to Lanai, Molokai, and Maui and Kauai twice each in the past 2.5 years and still have miles for 4 more interisland round trips. There is a relatively cheap vacation rental in Kukuihale right next to Waipio Valley which also makes a nice hiking trip getaway. We find we end up going to Kona overnight every 2-3 months which definitely feels like a getaway and make it different each time, from camping at Hookena to staying in a Waikoloa village condo, and also take different routes there and back. Between that and the Blue Book we still find plenty of new places to go.
Yep interisland travel becomes quite reasonable from the Big Island during off season. I second the park pass for VNP, and membership to the Hawaiin Tropical Botanical Gardens (great place to take guests), and an overnight trip up north to Pololu Valley and Hawi for lunch is a must do. My favorite beaches are Honokahua (near Kona) and Waielea Bay (near Waikoloa). Ask the locals and plan ahead for local events such as the Merry Monarch festival (get tickets early).
There are sooo many hikes & bike trips & a range of camping option (everything from cabins on the saddle, to little beachside areas ... even better, when you live here, you start meeting people from all over the island, many who may invite you over.... and then you may even learn of more little out of the way areas, and such....
TheodoreJay: "My favorite beaches are Honokahua (near Kona) and Waielea Bay (near Waikoloa)."

just wondering if you mean: honokohau and waialea?

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james