Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best School District & Best Medical Care
Macuu222,
Even worse, you can be taxed based on the first bill you get (the huge bill before the insurance company talks it down by 2/3rds). We had an emergency room physician bill at an astronomical rate, which was reduced by 2/3rds because of a preferred provider deal with our insurance company. But he still billed us for the tax on the higher amount, and threatened to turn us over to a collection agency and trash our credit if we didn't pay it.

No other good or service could get away with that. When you buy a car you don't pay taxes on the asking price, you pay tax on the final price! Not medical care though. I do wonder how much of that tax went into the DR.s pocket instead of state coffers!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Macuu222,
Even worse, you can be taxed based on the first bill you get (the huge bill before the insurance company talks it down by 2/3rds). We had an emergency room physician bill at an astronomical rate, which was reduced by 2/3rds because of a preferred provider deal with our insurance company. But he still billed us for the tax on the higher amount, and threatened to turn us over to a collection agency and trash our credit if we didn't pay it.
Carol, the GET can only be charged based on the PAID amount, (insurance & patient), not the billed amount. If the bill was $500 but the agreed insurance was $300, and the insurance company paid $200 and you paid $100, the GET is only allowed on $300, the amount Received. The Doctor has agreed on the rate, so what they bill has no meaning on the GET as they are only paid what they already agreed to accept for that procedure. Further, the insurance company may have a GET pass-through (you pay the GET) or the amount they paid could have included the GET on their portion. You may want to contact the insurance company and have them send you the policy. The Hawaii Dept of Taxation has a bulletin specifically on this issue.
Thank you Bob,
We knew we were getting screwed but when we called the billing people, the insurance company, and the state they all told us to pay it. When a family member is recovering from hospitalization is not the time to have to fight this stuff!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Now I know why so many people from Hawaii with major surgery fly to the mainland to have it done. My father had cancer of the liver and the surgery and hospital stay was 1.2 million. That's $45,000 tax if that procedure would have been done in Hawaii.
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Thank you Bob,
We knew we were getting screwed but when we called the billing people, the insurance company, and the state they all told us to pay it. When a family member is recovering from hospitalization is not the time to have to fight this stuff!

Carol
Hopefully there wont be a next time, but if it does happen, print this out and have them read number 4:
http://www.state.hi.us/tax/taxfacts/tf98-01.htm
Actually, we want our money back, with the same interest they charge patients who are late on their bills.

I wonder how much extra income that emergency room Dr. is funneling into his pocket. We had bills from many Dr.s and service providers from one hospitalization, and only this one pulled this scam on us. He also charges triple what other emergency room doctors charge.

What a great way to pad your bill: jack up the charges, settle with the insurance company for a drastically lower fee, stiff the patient for extra taxes on the higher amount, give the state taxes on the lower amount, pocket the difference. This Dr. billed like this for two different ER visits, one for me, one for my husband, about 4 months apart.

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

Now I know why so many people from Hawaii with major surgery fly to the mainland to have it done. My father had cancer of the liver and the surgery and hospital stay was 1.2 million. That's $45,000 tax if that procedure would have been done in Hawaii.

I know a lot of folks who fly to Thailand or other countries to have major healthcare procedures done. I wish we could set up our national health care (note: Health CARE not Health INSURANCE) to match Canada's. They have a system which really works for their people.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
I couldn't leave this one alone. The Hawaii education system is ranked 48th in the nation ( check into it and you will find that the only alternative is HASS ). HPA is one of the best in the Western USA, but do your homework. The rest are on the verge of reorganization or receivership. Check out the Hawaii Dpt. of Education web site and that will scare the heck out of you, Medical care for advanced coronary patients is virtually non-existent. You have a major cardiac event and your chances of survival are less than 4% . If your lucky enough to make it to Oahu via air ambulance, then you are 50/ 50 odds on being a cardiac invalid.