Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hotel Kama'aina rate
Well said Jerry!
Jerry, I'm in violent agreement with you that the rates are voluntary, shouldn't be abused, and that kama'aina rates are for kama'aina. However, from the business perspective, it may be to their advantage to extend the discounts to accompanying non-resident guests as well, since it effectively makes the kama'aina host their marketing person. So I guess the bottom line is be up-front with the business regarding who's a local and who isn't when using a kama'aina rate, and then be appreciative of whatever discount is offered...
Exactly, Rich. My practice is to announce who in my party is kama'aina and who isn't. It's then up to the charging entity as to whether to extend a discount to my guests. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. It certainly isn't abuse to accept the offer when everything is up front. And I always clearly express my appreciation for whatever discount is given.
I think its just good business for these mega resort hotels to offer local rates. I called the Hilton Waikaloa and told them my brother and his kids from the mainland wanted to stay at the hotel for a few days and since I live here I wanted to get them a local rate. At first they said no. Then when I told them I was staying there with them and that I was paying for the room...they said that was OK. So being up front is good. I am paying for the room. But if I happen to go back home after getting the room....is that really hurting anyone?
The Hapuna Prince just released a kamaaina deal where the first night is $270 and the 2nd night is $50.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thanks Rob. I did notice that. And its a really good price...but my brother has 3 kids and they kind of have their hearts set on a water slide and swimming with the dolphins.
Mahalo for the Hapuna Prince info!