Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rooster eviction?
Any suggestions on how to get a neighbor's rooster to move back into his own yard? Part of our lot is currently pretty overgrown and a rooster with a death wish flew over our neighbor's fence into our lot yesterday. We thought he had gone home this morning, but just discovered he is holed up in the most overgrown part of the yard (tall grass, vine, weeds and thick trees.

We have 3 predator dogs, one of whom came to us already chicken obsessed and 2 sisters who haven't discovered chickens yet, but as a hunting team are hell on rats, lizards, frogs, mice, and mongoose, and would become thoroughly chicken obsessed if they ever got one.

Right now we are keeping the chicken killing dog inside or tied up, and the other two inside, I tried beating the bush where he's hiding in hopes of flushing him out, but no luck. I do not want my 2 chicken virgins to discover the pleasures of chicken killing, and I can't keep all my dogs inside forever, so I really want to make this suicidal rooster go home. Any ideas that don't involve firearms or just letting the dogs get it?

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I suggest SB's technique for the [pet] goat and pig coming into our yard and goat chewing on patio furniture.

He said to neighbor "oh those two will be fine huli on my BBQ as well fed as they are...". Those two have not come in our yard since. But it also took about 3 neighbors saying it to them. Obie's wife's pineapples fell victim to them before it was stopped.

Maybe tell your neighbor in the same spirit that rooster would make fine stone soup if he keeps coming in your yard.

You put stone on rooster in pot, cover with water, when stone soft, soup done.

Unfortunately the neighbor has already pretty much written the rooster off, and he doesn't really understand that we REALLY don't want 2 more of our dogs to develop a taste for chickens. He just got the bird from a friend for free a few days ago, so he isn't real invested in it. But if I had a front yard full of fancy roosters like he does, I sure wouldn't want my neighbor's dogs to become chicken killers. He is overestimating the quality of his fences when it comes to Houdini dogs!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Possibly telling your neighbor "If I had a yard full of fancy roosters like you do, I would sure hate it if my neighbors dog a taste for rooster.... & your free roaming rooster is sure getting the interest of my dogs.... so in the spirit of neighborliness... please try & keep your roosters on YOUR side of the fence, and I will try to keep my dogs on my side."
The neighbor is indifferent to the plight of this rooster and so there is no concern about harming a creature to which a neighbor has an emotional attachment.

I think it is appropriate to give the neighbor one last clear chance to retrieve the rooster by his own efforts. Then, I would call the Human Society to see if they have a chicken trap.

If that proves burdensome given the demands of your daily life, I would restrain the two dogs that don't have a taste for chicken and release the one that does and schedule a date at the groomer's afterwards.
Kelena,
We thought about that, but we are afraid it might be like taking a 12 stepper out for a long night of partying. This dog is obsessive compulsive with a healthy dose of ADHD. Once she gets another rooster that will be all she thinks about until she gets more. That dog has a serious monkey on her back when it comes to birds. I worry she is going to fly off our 2nd story balcony going after a mynah or mourning dove, she's that nuts when it come to birds.

What I need is a way to get this bird out of the brush and into someone else's yard. If it weren't for the legal and fire issues I am about ready to try firecrackers! Maybe water balloons? 12 year olds with slingshots?

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
Although it sounds truly horrible. I have found several references that say to tie the dead chicken around the dogs neck to break the dog from killing chickens. Not sure that I would be able to do this but here is a link and the description.........

http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetc..._id=001zja

A friend of ours suggested this. I was horrified, but I couldn't make the dog stop killing our chickens. As soon as the dead chicken was tied around his neck, our dog stayed in the same spot in the yard all day, moving only after the bird was removed. Since that time, he has helped us to herd the birds into the coop at night, but has never killed or even mouthed one again.
Watch where the rooster sleeps at night, then go in with a flashlight and pick him up. Chickens don't move well in the dark and once they are asleep they are really easy to catch.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
We know the general area but I couldn't locate him last night or the night before. In the morning he is super loud until I approach the trees/vines where he is, then he shuts up. I did discover about 100 other birds roosting in our jackfruit tree though, I had no idea so many birds used that tree.

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
Okay. Time to get Texas on him. Shoot in the general direction of the noise. Keep shooting until the noise stops.