Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying used shipping containers (again)
I'm still on my quest to buy a used shipping container. Here is the information I have so far:

Prices at Affordable Portable Housing have recently risen to 4550k (cash price). 40 or 20 footers are about the same price. Add about $400 if you are paying with a credit card. The containers are reportedly 8 years old.

Big Island Container and Storage is $5,300 and up for a 40 footer. 20 footers aren't much cheaper. The advantage here is that you can inspect the container first (as opposed to going to Oahu to inspect one from APH). No cash discount if you aren't paying with a credit card. The containers are reportedly 10 years old.

Still waiting to hear back from Hawaii modular space.

None of the players have ever responded to requests through their web sites. Calling in person is the only way to (eventually) reach them.

None of the prices include trucking to the site, about $400-$750 if the container is on the same side of the island as where you want it.

I can get a good quality 20' container on the west coast of the mainland for under $1400. Haven't yet figured out if shipping an empty container to Hawaii is cheaper than island prices. I'm still trying to crack the code.

Any comments or ideas are appreciated.
Craigslist has some that are on island, some are just used containers, others have had work done, even a home (looks like it is not a polished job)....so you may be able to get what you want here
Terra, I'm also looking at containers on the west coast. What's your source?
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI
When looking at shipping a container overseas, there is an older thread on containers that may help some:
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3910
quote:
Originally posted by liskir

Terra, I'm also looking at containers on the west coast. What's your source?

Northland Services in Seattle.

Also, look on eBay, they are all over the place.
Matson recently gave me a quote for shipping a 20 from Seattle to the Big Island (from my house in Puyallup, Wa. to house in HPP) of about $2400.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I bought the 45ft aluminum box from Storage Container Sales in 2007 for $5k. Don't know if they still around but the phone# on my bill of sale is 329-3787. I would have considered affordable but I didn't know about them then.

I heard about them scanning the classifieds in the trib but looks like craigslist taking over- how you going compete with "free."

Interested in this topic Appreciate hearing about how it turns out going forward.
quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

Matson recently gave me a quote for shipping a 20 from Seattle to the Big Island (from my house in Puyallup, Wa. to house in HPP) of about $2400.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.

Does weight matter at all or is it only by volume?
quote:
Originally posted by tada

I bought the 45ft aluminum box from Storage Container Sales in 2007 for $5k. Don't know if they still around but the phone# on my bill of sale is 329-3787. I would have considered affordable but I didn't know about them then.

I heard about them scanning the classifieds in the trib but looks like craigslist taking over- how you going compete with "free."

Interested in this topic Appreciate hearing about how it turns out going forward.

I wish I could find an aluminum one. I would pay a little extra for not having to worry about rust.
I have a friend on the Kona side who paid for both shipping and containers several times by coordinating loads from Oregon for people who were building houses or needed equipment shipped for farms and businesses. She filled the containers with goods and shipped them over, people picked up the goods at her place when the container was dropped off. Oregon has no sales tax, so that savings right off the top made it worthwhile for people. She did this several times and made a profit every time.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb