Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Shore's speed bumps
If you think the speed bumps are bad, try driving on Gov. Beach Road as it comes off Papio. It has been over 12 months since the county has maintained the road. It is very dangerous, even if you are going 5 miles per hour. Many of us tryed to get the road surface upgraded, but the county perfers to overlook safey matters to please a bunch of
non residents who live on the Papaya Farms Road, and either do not drive or don't have to use the road. This is Hwy 137, and evacuation route and for residents the only way in and out. I think a good lawsuit is in order.
Sorry cwaters, I love the Beach Road unpaved. When you leave the pavement you leave the stress behind. The road itself makes you slow down and you should take this time to reflect on your day. The people that have chose to live along this road knew what it was like before they moved there and shouldn't try to change the "Old Hawaii" feel but, embrace it. That 4.4 mile stretch of road is unique and is always an impressive drive to take visitors on. The wildness of it puts you in touch with the natural world and that can't be bad. When you hit the pavement again, you have the feeling of re-entering reality (with a touch of sadness).

Keep the Beach Road wild for the health of us all.

Lawsuits rarely make things pono!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
@ Critterlover/ watchdog. You were the HSCA BOD President when there was BOD was on the payroll. Did the DOOM hire her without you knowing.
@CWaters: Are you talking about the road from Honolulu Landing towards Kapoho? If so, I've chickened out each time I've tried to drive it when the pavement ends and the natural road begins to narrow. It takes a constitution much better than mine to live that far off the 'beaten' path. I have lived here for 20 years and still sort of miss the 5 minute trek to the nearest on ramp to get where I need to go. Driving the distance up Kahakai to 130 has become my 'switching gears' drive. I can take care of personal business on the phone on the way into town and back again. But, my impatience to get up to 55 so I can get what I want done and back home again still prevents me from ever living somewhere MORE off the beaten path or I'd be in Eden Rock now. Smile

Question Authority!
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
This whole thread started with Likeable stating that speed bumps were put in to detour the scum with low rider cars and trucks from passing her house and redirects them to pass other peoples homes that deserve peace and quiet too. Well, I happened to be at the Board meeting when this was all discussed. Never once did anyone on the Board mention that the intent was to redirect traffic to somewhere else. The Boards concern was the speed of the traffic in a 25 mile per hour zone and the safety issue of speeding vehicles on a residential street. Likeable, would you like all of us to drive up and down your street going 50 miles per hour? I wonder what your solution would be? Of course no one should be concerned because that is your street and not ours.
The Board only decided to put in speed bumps ONLY TO SLOW DOWN TRAFFIC. If people were speeding in front of my house, I would want speed bumps too!
I went down to where the speed bumps were installed and drove over them at different speeds. Yes, you temporarily have to slow down to about 15 miles per hour. Big deal after most of that traffic has just driven or will drive 4.4 miles of the worst road in Hawaii at no more than 5 miles per hour. Maybe that is why they speed, they are so happy to be off that horrible stretch of road. The speed bumps remind them that, no, you have not entered a freeway, you are now driving through a residential neighborhood, drive accordingly.
To accuse someone who donates a lot of time to serve our community of being selfish and has her nose up in the air just shows you where Likeable really wanted to direct this whole thread.
It seems like Likeable (really?) is unhappy that a solution was found for some of our residents. But since he doesn't live on that street he could care less about anyone else. Has he really done a study of traffic down there to make his accusations?
To effectively "control" all the speeding, you would need to put bumps on coastal puna has well. You will need to sink steel posts into concrete on either side of the bumps to keep them off the grass as well, large yellow signs everywhere.
quote:
Originally posted by ishkabibble

It seems like Likeable (really?) is unhappy that a solution was found for some of our residents. But since he doesn't live on that street he could care less about anyone else. Has he really done a study of traffic down there to make his accusations?

As a matter of fact I do live on coastal puna pkwy. The traffic is horrendous. Where do you live? With the pres?? You and I both know the speed bumps were put in for her damn benefit so lets stop the lying here. The traffic is in the wee hours of the night and all day long. The park was also put there for herself. She is just to much for my liking. Nothing but a stuck up and cares only about her peace and quiet. She is only the Association pres not the pres of the Unites states. The facebook page has nothing but the usual brown nosers dissing on the last BOD. Typical of these people. The speed bumps are waste of money! People are driving on the side ruing the grass. Why does it not affect where she and other stuck ups have to drive home?? Answer that??
@Opelu, actually, since you were there you must know the Board did not decide to put them in. The Board decided to allow the owners on that particular street, at their own cost, to install 3 speed humps to control traffic. The Board later, at a different meeting. acknowledged that the Association would be responsible for maintenance of those humps. In addition, one of the directors, the VP, in a moment of clarity, voiced concern that he had voted for something [the allowance of individual members to pay to install something on community property] that may set a precedent he seemed uncomfortable with at that moment. Something like 'buyer's remorse'. The ones who managed this coup did it in such a fashion that they agreed to pay for humps to get them in then but one of the Papio residents clarified for everyone with a statement of opinion that anyone else who wanted to put in their own must do so out of their pocket because if the Association pays for any installation the Papio Street humps will then be eligible for reimbursement. It was a 'gotcha' moment that brightened this person's face right up! Frankly, most streets won't have consensus enough nor funds enough to install so not having the Association do it is fine with me. We [spouse and self] don't want them on our street. The folks on Puna Coastal are in a particularly interesting situation...when the residents on the street wisely play their Ace the reality of the snooker kicks in. The Membership may get that they were had. The Papio street folk do not play by conventional rules, obviously, but like Joshua; they play to win!

Again, I had occasion to be at Walmart yesterday and sat in one of the aisles waiting for the cars coming and going on the main lane to exit the shopping complex and happened to be in the aisle just before THE speed bump. Because I had some time and because the brake lights caught my eye I watched as the cars came in and went out and drove up and down aisles -- people were reasonable. On the backside of the complex where they do have more bumps I had to go in the other day and pick up stuff from Ofc Max and I always park back there for Ofc Max runs.. I watched as cars drove right around the one bump that had no cars parked in stalls next to it. Again, reasonable driving.

People speed up and down the street our home is off of because it is a major feeder road to a substantial section of the subdivision. Typically, people are going the usual speed limit. On occasion you hear someone punch their gas pedal and haul down the road. It is almost always a kid. People who live here have families and respect and exercise common decency. Those that do not are the ones who would drive on the road shoulder to avoid the bump or turn down/up a street that had none to avoid the impediment. Alas, I don't need to drive on Papio street but if I did I would avoid the bumps by alternate route. Many of us figured it would happen when the discussion began to install. Like water, drivers follow a course of least resistance.

@Likeable: All is not lost. Be observant; keep records.

Question Authority!
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
Maybe if it was just 1 or 2 modestly sized speed bumps it would be ok. Unfortunately they put in three **** you bumps. the slammed civics would have been slowed plenty by modest bumps, now they will go around on coastal puna. The worst thing is that commercial trucks have to slow down to almost stopping to get over these bumps, you can still hear them hitting them blocks away, then they punch that giant diesel getting to the next bump blowing black smoke everywhere. The bumps reek of selfish control freaks.